Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Not a huge fan of reconstruction that’s designed purely to avoid pissing off the relegated clubs. Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer have been shite all season - fair enough this is a shite way to be relegated but there’s no perfect solution here, and we shouldn’t need to redraw the entire league structure just to avoid having to relegate anyone for one season.

It’s also arguably less fair in terms of promotion. There are 9 (11 if you include LL/HL) teams currently sitting in promotion play-off places, why should some of them be promoted but others not? There’s far more logic to only promoting the teams that are sitting in the automatic places.

Just now, eez-eh said:

Not a huge fan of reconstruction that’s designed purely to avoid pissing off the relegated clubs. Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer have been shite all season - fair enough this is a shite way to be relegated but there’s no perfect solution here, and we shouldn’t need to redraw the entire league structure just to avoid having to relegate anyone for one season.

It’s also arguably less fair in terms of promotion. There are 9 (11 if you include LL/HL) teams currently sitting in promotion play-off places, why should some of them be promoted but others not? There’s far more logic to only promoting the teams that are sitting in the automatic places.

I saw earlier that Jim Duffy was on the radio tonight and said something along the lines of "all the leagues are tight at the top and bottom which shows they're very competitve in their current formats, therefore there's no need to fix something that isn't broken, we'd only be restructuring now to please the teams at the bottom of each league".

The guy makes a good point IMO.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, the following need to be met in order for a reconstruction to pass:

• 11 clubs from the Premiership (90%)
  • 17 clubs from the Premiership and Championship combined (75%)
  • 32 clubs from the whole SPFL (75%)

This is different from the previous vote because reconstruction requires a Qualified Resolution, not an Ordinary Resolution.

Might be a daft question but since we are technically promoted and the season is over, are we now counted as a Championship side in the voting?

6 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Might be a daft question but since we are technically promoted and the season is over, are we now counted as a Championship side in the voting?

It's actually a very good question. I think the answer will depend on when a formal resolution is proposed. The SFA deems the change of season to be July 1st. I think in practical terms the SPFL works to 31st May bu not sure without checking what the rules say. I'd imagine either way if there's going to be reconstruction they'll have to have agreed it before 31st May to set it up for next season even if the start is slightly delayed. I'd guess that makes you a League One side still and Thistle a Championship one. Not certain though.

Just now, rb123! said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-football-faces-one-final-21874172

I know it's the Daily Rangers but still, Partick don't even fucking think about it.....

Can’t see it, would cost them fair bit of money and even if they win the SPFL could just put another resolution out to vote on with the same outcome.

23 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Can’t see it, would cost them fair bit of money and even if they win the SPFL could just put another resolution out to vote on with the same outcome.

They are massively entitled though so logic is out the window, their wee ego is bruised and someone at the SPFL will need to tell them they are a very big club to avoid it. 

I think there will be reconstruction, 2 up from the Championship (mainly to save Hearts) but also it gives a 14 club Premier League which would ease relegation pressures on at least half of the Premier clubs. There would still be a split, and the split would be after everyone had played each other twice (26 matches) but it would be the top 7 and the bottom 7 the split occurs at. That would give another 12 matches (home and away) in each half of the split, so the Champions and the relegated team/teams would have played a total of 38 League matches.  That gives the TV companies their 4 old firm matches a season, as well as the Edinburgh derbies. As for the remaining teams in the Championship. League one and League two, I would include the winners of the Lowland league and the Highland leagues giving a total of 30 teams and have two leagues of 15 teams playing each other 3 times a season, giving a total of 42 League matches. That saves Partick, promotes Raith, Falkirk, and promotes another 5 teams to the new Championship league. Makes sense to me. But the elephant in the room is will there be any football at all for the rest of this year? I'm not so sure.

5 hours ago, rb123! said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-football-faces-one-final-21874172

I know it's the Daily Rangers but still, Partick don't even fucking think about it.....

That would be quite delicious. We could use our millions to give cas to Falkirk, Edinburgh City , East Fife and Stranraer to keep them going. f**k the rest of you.

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

They are massively entitled though so logic is out the window, their wee ego is bruised and someone at the SPFL will need to tell them they are a very big club to avoid it. 

Aye, that's why we'll do it. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

So he’s just unhappy if it means Ayr still not going up? He’d be all over a 15 team league 

That isn't what he's saying.  If he had his way most of the Championship would be  incorporated into the top division. I recommend listening to his podcast interview from last week. He recognised that a 16 team league next season would be unfair on Dunfermline, Arbroath and Morton.

Edited by RedEd

A 14 team league would be a superb result and a step in the right direction. A 16 team league would be absolutely glorious but there’s no way the Premiership clubs would vote for it sadly.

If we get a 14 team league out of this we will all have our Dundee brothers to thank for it.