Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t believe Nelms is that stupid he would agree to it in exchange for the SPFL simply considering reconstruction.

It’s likely nonsense.

It's so nonsensical that I automatically fear it's real.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t believe Nelms is that stupid he would agree to it in exchange for the SPFL simply considering reconstruction.

It’s likely nonsense.

Is that not what the original proposal was!!?? The one Dundee released a statement saying was not acceptable.

14 would either mean to many games or not enough, unless they are planning a split after two rounds of fixtures and then playing each other once, post split giving 32 games. 

Still doesn't give four old firm games. 

Either they scrap promotion and relegation this year and pay the money for the current league placings, or they promote all teams in play-off places. 

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I have no idea what Rangers are arguing for. I've not read their proposed motion. Is it published anywhere? Their statement said they were going to produce a motion that would "release prize money" but presumably didn't link it to promotion or relegation at this stage. They then announced, and the SPFL confirmed, that their resolution was invalid. I don't think anyone clarified what was in it but maybe it's been in one of the papers? I don't get a newspaper these days.

I've no idea why they wanted a 5pm deadline on Friday but presume they were getting pressure from some clubs who have cash flow issues. I wouldn't know.

Personally I think it's logical to consider promotion / relegation at the same time as finalising the positions but if clubs would vote for one without the other I guess it would at least solve part of the problem. Although getting agreement on anything regarding promotion / relegation in extraordinary circumstances without a motivating factor might prove well night impossible!

Pretty sure the rejected resolution was that clubs would be given a loan by the SPFL, which would then be repaid from the final amounts due when the season finished.  If so that implies that the season would be played to a finish, and that some clubs would have to repay money if they finished below their current position based on points average, and would get a further payment if their position improved.  My preference would be final payments with clubs accepting that they could be better or worse off in the unlikely event that any more league games are played in this season.  I suspect that Rangers/The Rangers can't go down that road as Celtic get 1st place prize money and that looks like the first step to accepting 9 in a row.  As ever the petty concerns of the ugly sisters take precedence to the detriment of the rest of us.........

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We had 14 clubs in leagues for years mind you. And yes, fixtures were imbalanced.  You played 39 games a season, as far as possible 20 home one season, 19 home the next.

Yes but it could be different.

Everyone plays each other home and away - 26 games.

League then splits in 2 sections of 7 - 12 more games and 38 games in total. 

Then its 2 up, 2 down or the current play-off system

3 Leagues of 14 clubs would be much better than what we have now.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Yes but it could be different.

Everyone plays each other home and away - 26 games.

League then splits in 2 sections of 7 - 12 more games and 38 games in total. 

Then its 2 up, 2 down or the current play-off system

3 Leagues of 14 clubs would be much better than what we have now.

But we need the OF pound!!!!!

Eta: But seriously, we'd be left with a team having a free week and that'd create all sort of problems come end of the season.

Edited by Speroni*1

3 minutes ago, Muggy said:

Top six, bottom eight?

I'd be in favour. Happy to let United go up and it'd save any team from an unfair relegation.

I'd be slightly miffed at Caley being jammy b*****ds, but better to 'reward' a further team than punish others.

2 hours ago, Dele said:

I'm talking of the pot shared between all 4 leagues. We keep reading how finishing a season early has to done due to extraordinary circumstance etc.. but we can't pay folk a fair share because we definitely 100% have to abide by the rules and you need to have a position before you get paid. 

It's bullying bullshit and as I've said, numerous times, if clubs go to the wall it's completely down to the governing body. 

I can see Doncaster going and telling Rangers and Celtic that they'll be getting the same amount of prize money this season as Brechin City, not.

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If Dundee were 2nd this would make sense, but they're not so it doesn't. Just a bullshit "could", "might" article from the Sun, as per.

Maybe they are thinking for the good of the game or long term?

The following is just a guess but might explain the logic of 14 for Dundee.

Lets say under the almost rejected proposal Hearts replaced Dundee United. If Hearts spend big then Dundee could be looking at the lottery of the play offs again.

Go with 14 and 2 up 2 down and they should make it next year and then be able to stay up.

14 also means no one is relegated this year and promotion for Falkirk. Possibly easier to vote in.

Remember the Americans think long term, look at the stadium etc.

1 hour ago, Speroni*1 said:

The Sun (I know) are purporting that Nelms will say yes if the SPFL guarantee to consider a 14 team top flight in order to 'get his moment in the sun'.

But Dundee are currently the 15th placed team in Scottish Football  so you still wouldn't end up in a restructured Premiership in August or whenever it starts. 

What exactly is Nelms logic?

Guest DAVIDB69
No, they'd make it top eight & bottom six. That way the top sides can play more games and take the attention away from the play-offs.

No they will do it the other way just in case sides go on a European run and have games to fit in towards the end.

It'd also in theory leave us with an 'easy ride' next season. I say that with the full belief that we'd likely still bottle it as it's what we do and we do it pretty fucking well. But, in theory, no Hearts and no United - We'd be have the biggest budget in the league by a considerable distance.

Edited by Speroni*1

I was busy all day today. This evening I've been trying to catch up, and it's like missing ten episodes of a really complex series.

"When did Rab Douglas get involved? I thought the killer was Inverness? Wasn't the bomb supposed to go off at 5pm? WTF is going on?"

I’d like the season to be played to a finish whenever that may be with a shorter season after it if necessary.

If the leagues have to end now on a points per game there are a lot of agendas with controversy over the promoted teams and the teams in the relegation spots, so, how about a compromise.
If we finish it now on a pts per game then have straight forward play off between the relegation place v the promotion place.
That would be Hearts v Dundee Utd, Partick Thistle v Raith, Stranraer v Cove and Brechin, Brora and Kelty in a play off tournament. If necessary extend it to 2nd place teams as well. One off games, exciting, sellable to tv and will only take up one week. Nobody is automatically relegated or promoted but will have the chance to win promotion or save themselves from the drop. Basically, put your money where your mouth is.

Unfortunately it wouldn’t solve the premier title race but maybe rangers need to admit they blew that due to bad form, not because the season finished early.

Of course, it won’t please everyone, nothing will.