Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

10 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

So we're all agreed the best outcome is the one that see Dundee United hilariously denied promotion, yes?

I'm balancing that up with Dundee United go up only for Rangers to go bust the seeth would be excellent. Tbh the longer we can old off for prize money to be paid then the more likely it is for the Ibrox club to go bust

55 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Or the referee for mysteriously changing his mind about the penalty in the more recent 0-0 at Firhill.

Don't remind them of that injustice too.   The bleating will be deafening.

You have to laugh at Queens' attempt to claim their vote is motivated by anything other than grubby self interest.  

2 hours ago, virginton said:

No football until June 10 means that this season will never be finished. You still need another 11 match-days in the lower leagues after that, plus an actual summer break for the players, then pre-season. Oh and with most of the player contracts running out halfway during the remainder of this rump campaign: so much for the 'sporting integrity' argument then.

I'm really not sure what there is to talk about until then but I'm sure the chief executives of most clubs will be delighted to have all their planning for next season put on hold for another two months so that clubs continuing humming and hawing over a set of mutually exclusive proposals instead.

the players are on break now no need for another 

Already taken the tweet down? Either the story is complete shite, the tweet got such backlash they only pulled that, or they fucked something up.

The article is here, wonder if it'll work for long:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5478513/dundee-chief-john-nelms-tables-resolution-to-end-leagues-with-no-promotion-or-relegation/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1586467812

Edit - They reposted the tweet with a 'could'. Already a chink.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Very few companies, and that includes football clubs, will be furloughing every single member of staff, mainly for the exact reason described. There still needs to be someone to make basic decisions and deal with minor bits of admin - even stuff like paying bills on time.

I think you underestimate how much of that sort of stuff is done by volunteers at smaller clubs. We furloughed everybody. Others have too.

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Already taken the tweet down? Either the story is complete shite, the tweet got such backlash they only pulled that, or they fucked something up.

The article is here, wonder if it'll work for long:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5478513/dundee-chief-john-nelms-tables-resolution-to-end-leagues-with-no-promotion-or-relegation/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1586467812

Edit - They reposted the tweet.

Dundee desperate to retain the benefits of the Tangerine Pound.

Genuine LOLz at anyone believing that was anything other than the Scum Newspaper fishing with absolute shite. 

Having thought about it (previously in favour of null and void), I'd not object to the leagues being ended as is, with Celtic winning the prem, the DABs winning the Championship and the Jambos being relegated. 

I feel this is the best option on several fronts: 

• I get greater pleasure out of seeing distraught/angry Rangers fans than even DABs. The meltdown of Celtic being awarded the 9IAR title would be off the fucking scale
  • Once they've recovered from that shock, they'll then realise their second most hated club (the DABs) have also been handed their own title. I only wish Hibs could somehow benefit massively from this as well.
  • Hearts being relegated would be pretty funny
  • The Partick Thistle thread, i would imagine will be the scene of some epic trolling by Ayr fans as a result of Jobby McCall leaving them for a "bigger" club, and getting emptied into the seaside league straight away. 
  • I absolutely dread any scenario where we could end up in the premier with our current manager, who bar 3 or 4 recent games has been an absolute fucking shambles. It'd be last season all over again, except with a nicer strip. f**k that for a game of dominoes. 

If, and that may big a fairly big 'if' considering it's the Scum and they've already retracted one tweet about it, this is legit, I'll be very curious as to how a fair few teams would react to this. While I wouldn't expect it to be passed through, I wonder if many mid-table teams (and maybe play-off teams but that's a bit more of a doubt) who wouldn't really be affected either way by this proposal getting passed would think.

55 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Partick and Hearts will back it into being voted on, but I don't seeing that getting much support.

TBF, it is the fairest option for all (apart from The Rangers I guess).

No team has mathematically secured promotion or relegation, so why should they get it? 

Why should we or any other club miss out on potential play offs? At the same time, we were not guaranteed these either, so why should we or any other club be guaranteed them also?

This gives some clubs the recognition they crave but is also fair to those who missed out on the opportunity to make up the potential points gap.

A possible financial compensation for those who finished top without the promotion?

9 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

TBF, it is the fairest option for all (apart from The Rangers I guess).

No team has mathematically secured promotion or relegation, so why should they get it? 

Why should we or any other club miss out on potential play offs? At the same time, we were not guaranteed these either, so why should we or any other club be guaranteed them also?

This gives some clubs the recognition they crave but is also fair to those who missed out on the opportunity to make up the potential points gap.

A possible financial compensation for those who finished top without the promotion?

If it's true (and presuming the whole post isn't trolling in the first place, for the Sun to get as far as publishing it would suggest it is), then it's an attempt to split hairs. The clubs have already been told that a null and void option isn't on the table for commercial reasons. Therefore what Dundee are proposing is essentially what the SPFL are already proposing (call the Leagues off now, award the positions as they stand on an average points basis) BUT adding the caveat of no ups and downs.

Effectively then that takes the offence away from Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer and instead will have United, Raith and Cove howling. It doesn't help Rangers or Falkirk who will presumably still be up in arms about it as Celtic still win and Falkirk still don't go up. We'll leave aside that Rangers' actual statement didn't mention Celtic and was all about the unfairness of Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer going down 🙄 . It's not really a better solution, it just changes the clubs being affected to three slighlty less infuential ones (and gives Dundee another season of derbies and the chance to deny United promotion 🙄 ). Hibs might also be fans at a commercial level as it preserves the Edinburgh derby.

I don't see clubs supporting it over the alternative proposed by the governing body to be honest. I think there will be an expectation of some promotion reward for a season which isn't voided. It may even be legally required.  It's a reach that this will go anywhere.

Edited by Skyline Drifter