Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

33 minutes ago, Ayr145 said:

Aye, we're not getting above our station unlike you

I'd say neither team is. We're more focused on playoffs and a chance at promotion, while you are happy to see things end before your slump lands you in mid-table. Dundee with eyes on promotion, Ayr with eyes on survival, sounds like both teams are at their appropriate stations.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

They can’t use the furlough scheme for players who are replacements for any leaving at the end of the season or for players who aren’t re-signed immediately after their contract ends, even if the Government extends the period. Obviously, if clubs don’t sign replacements, they won’t have any wages. But I’m not sure how realistic it would be to hold off signing players until just before football resumes

Ah, wasn't aware of that!

Then that makes finishing the games from this season even more fanciful.

I would have thought that a move to permanent 14-14-14 would be more likely to succeed.

It would imho remove opposition from Falkirk, Partick and Hearts - clubs in playoff positions in the Championship (or vying for) would be the only ones where it could be seen as unfair - of those only Dundee (and possibly Dunfermline) might be opposed.

The one thing that could scupper that would be opposition from the Premiership teams.

4 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Yes. I think at the very least, for example, Alloa and Arbroath, and probably 2-3 of the full-time teams, would not have accepted this approach to disasters if presented to them at the outset. They would have known it would make the situation of a team with an early poor run of form at an extreme disadvantage. Teams would have much preferred an arrangement that protected them against the catastrophic.

The unequally complete part is not tackled by averaging points per game. That's literally the whole bone of contention. If you've played Celtic three times but St Johnstone zero times you are at a sporting disadvantage compared to someone who played Celtic twice and St Johnstone twice. If you have played 28 games and everyone else has played 29 games you have played the other teams in the division in different proportions. That is the unfairness and average points per game is never fair unless you have played the same teams the same number of times.

The only fair ways to end the season are voiding it outright, playing it outright, or perhaps calling it based on one set of home and away fixtures rather than two. If those aren't possible, it is the moral duty of the league to compensate and support those who are punished for deserts that had not fully been earned, and not as fully to reward those who had not earned it outright.

Only rejecting outright promotion and relegation or temporary reconstruction with promotion but no relegation then more relegation the following season can begin to address that.

Fair enough, but I still disagree with what you're saying in your first paragraph.  If anything, I'd imagine that in general terms, the idea would have greater appeal for the smaller clubs than the bigger ones.  Surely, history tells us that the financially stronger clubs with deeper squads do better, the longer the sequence of matches.  That's why underdogs can win cups, but leagues: not so much.

I take your point about averaging points per game not entirely evening things up, for the reasons you suggest.  Again though, I think it would come close enough, to sound like a reasonable enough proposition had it been made while still in the realms of the hypothetical.

I'm not particularly looking to defend this as it's been arrived at; I'm just challenging the idea that it would have been rejected out of hand, had it been proposed well before such a ruling became necessary.

Like how Dundee are blaming us for not voting against, maybe if Dundee hadn't been that shite in the first half of the season then they might have had a chance to be top atm and get up on merit.

Plus our chairmen is approving of this proposal because it's the only option which safeguards the immediate future existence of our football club thanks to prize money being released.

That's being said by a chairmen of a football club which just made a profit in the last financial year. With Dundee losing millions I think their fans should be careful of what they wish for.

Because we suspect that they are going to promote ICT as well.

Tbf our chairman has opposed this as well although I’m not sure how much good that will do if the SPFL just decide to promote ICT.

It’s got nothing to do with him lacking a spine though. He said the fairest option is to null and void everything but after reading what the SPFL had to say he realised that’s never going to be an option. His next preference is a 16 team top flight however knows this is also highly unlikely given other top flight teams won’t want to give up OF money. He also alluded to the fact that if we were to go another couple of months without prize money we would really be in the shit.

4 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Plus our chairmen is approving of this proposal because it's the only option which safeguards the immediate future existence of our football club thanks to prize money being released.

200.gif

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

The vast majority of clubs use a standard template for contracts provided by the SPFL, so I don’t imagine a lot of work goes into drafting it up. There’s also nothing to stop people from doing it at home, things can be signed, scanned and sent via email.

It‘s hardly an insurmountable problem and to suggest that’s where this would all fall down is a bit ridiculous.

I think you're missing my point if clubs furlough their entire staff it makes not a bit of difference if it can be done at home, you cannot work for your employer whilst the state pays 80% of your wages.

On 17/03/2020 at 10:19, Dele said:

I think like may others you've got your head in the sand.

- Not at all, I'm just not one for scaremongering and cowering. If I die, I die. I'm not going to run about and cry like an idiot. Again, if you want to, that's your choice. 

Of course people die all the time, whether it's natural causes, heart attacks or cancer, thats the normal way of things in life.

But thousands are dying earlier due directly to this virus and it will continue for many months.

- Erm, thousands of people die early due to cancer and heart attacks. Just like this virus killing people off, that's just a part of life. 

Businesses are closing, thousands out of work, stock markets in free fall and a recession looming.

That's not normal by any stretch of the imagination or denial.

Name the business' that have closed down and put thousands out of work directly due to this. A recession isn't normal? Where have you been living, exactly? 

I would have thought that a move to permanent 14-14-14 would be more likely to succeed.

It would imho remove opposition from Falkirk, Partick and Hearts - clubs in playoff positions in the Championship (or vying for) would be the only ones where it could be seen as unfair - of those only Dundee (and possibly Dunfermline) might be opposed.

The one thing that could scupper that would be opposition from the Premiership teams.
I think a solution that leads to no relegation is the fairest solution, short of finishing the season. If a temporary reconstruction means Caley go up and not Dundee, so be it. It's not fair but it's infinitely fairer than relegating Hearts and Partick.

6 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I think like may others you've got your head in the sand.

- Not at all, I'm just not one for scaremongering and cowering. If I die, I die. I'm not going to run about and cry like an idiot. Again, if you want to, that's your choice. 

Of course people die all the time, whether it's natural causes, heart attacks or cancer, thats the normal way of things in life.

But thousands are dying earlier due directly to this virus and it will continue for many months.

- Erm, thousands of people die early due to cancer and heart attacks. Just like this virus killing people off, that's just a part of life. 

Businesses are closing, thousands out of work, stock markets in free fall and a recession looming.

That's not normal by any stretch of the imagination or denial.

Name the business' that have closed down and put thousands out of work directly due to this. A recession isn't normal? Where have you been living, exactly? 

Is there a reason you keep following me around posting this? 

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Tbf our chairman has opposed this as well although I’m not sure how much good that will do if the SPFL just decide to promote ICT.

It’s got nothing to do with him lacking a spine though. He said the fairest option is to null and void everything but after reading what the SPFL had to say he realised that’s never going to be an option. His next preference is a 16 team top flight however knows this is also highly unlikely given other top flight teams won’t want to give up OF money. He also alluded to the fact that if we were to go another couple of months without prize money we would really be in the shit.

I thought Ayr were one of the few clubs with no debt and that Cameron has put a lot of money in to ensure that Ayr are one of the clubs that will still be here over the next few uncertain months?

12 minutes ago, punk_dfc said:

I think a solution that leads to no relegation is the fairest solution, short of finishing the season. If a temporary reconstruction means Caley go up and not Dundee, so be it. It's not fair but it's infinitely fairer than relegating Hearts and Partick.

Its fairer to promote one team who weren't guaranteed it, but not a team a few points behind, than relegate a team who are bottom after 79% of the season has been played?

You could legitimately claim the season could end after 33 games, at which point you're saving a team bottom with 9% of the season left.

4 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

You just called another poster a moron so I felt it only right to show how fuckin moronic you have been in the early stages of this crisis.

Everything I said still rings true. 

Is this your ten minutes online before you go back to hiding under your cover 23 hours a day? 

You never replied to that post at the time, fwiw. Seems mighty strange you saved it though. Its an honour. 

I thought Ayr were one of the few clubs with no debt and that Cameron has put a lot of money in to ensure that Ayr are one of the clubs that will still be here over the next few uncertain months?

We’re in debt it’s just that it’s to Cameron himself rather than a bank. I don’t think he said anywhere that he himself was putting money in to ensure we survived. Just that he and the board members would do everything to ensure the clubs short term safety.

I’m only going off what he said on Twitter.

IMG_0792.jpg

50 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think you might have a chance at that with it being permanent, but you have to get 11 clubs to agree which is a high bar, when the current format and finish works for Premiership clubs. I do wonder what it does for the lower league vote too due to 2 extra mouths to feed.