Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

8 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

If you fail to anticipate a scenario such as this you have a duty to produce a solution that Clubs would have agreed to if proposed before a season had started and therefore before they knew whether they stood to benefit from it.

It is blatantly clear that more than two Championship clubs would not have agreed to a proposal such as this, given its implications for the positions they might have anticipated they would be at risk of finishing in.

The fair solution is to seek to mitigate the consequences of calling the league prematurely, and to recognise that a failure to mitigate overrewards teams that didn’t (yet) fully earn success while overpunishing *only some* clubs that did not (yet) fully deserve punishment.

Throw in a comma, or a full stop now and again.

No one in the world could have anticipated this. Countries, health organisations, governments, etc let alone a fitba ruling body.

Edited by srw

7 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

After the 1st world war you would have thought all sporting authorities would have realised extremely serious and unexpected events can come along from time to time that COULD prevent a standard season being completed. You would also have thought someone in authority may have thought to insert a couple of sentences covering what the procedure should be if any future events prevented a season being completed.

After the 2nd world war you would have thought it would have reminded someone once again that extremely serious and unexpected events COULD prevent a season from being completed.

Surely they will make it third time lucky after this is over and take the sensible precaution to amend the rules.

I can’t help but think that if the rules had been amended it would have resulted in something similar to what is being proposed.  I.e. if over x% of the season had been completed then points earned per game would be the determining factor in deciding promotion/ relegation and if less than x% of the season had been completed then promotion/relegation would not take place, possibly with the points difference being carried forward.

Mind you that’s pure conjecture on my part.

Edited by Granny Danger

Guest DAVIDB69

Isn’t this whole nonsense primarily that clubs are skint and SPFL are worried about the new tv contract coming in next season .

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s the way it’s usually decided.  It’s remiss of the Scottish footballing authorities not to have factored in a global pandemic into their rule book.  What are they like?

There are many reasons a season may have to end early with no real chance of a restart I think it is odd that they don't have a blanket rule. Pandemic flu has been a real possibility for years now the fact that so many organisations have ignored it seems very very strange

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

There are many reasons a season may have to end early with no real chance of a restart I think it is odd that they don't have a blanket rule. Pandemic flu has been a real possibility for years now the fact that so many organisations have ignored it seems very very strange

Yeah, as others have said there could have been something in place.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

I don't see that the rush for prize money is a major factor considering most clubs are furloughing staff anyway.

Wages might be the biggest cost for clubs but it won’t be the only one.  

Also I don’t think the furloughing thing will cover all employees, only those who would have lost there jobs had they not been furloughed.  Can’t see that being applied to players on contracts.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

If completing the league isn’t an option, what would you prefer we do?!

Why is completing the league not an option? It can be delayed by however many weeks or months is necessary. It’s a completely knee-jerk reaction doing this when we’re only 2 weeks into a lockdown, especially after UEFA’s statement yesterday and FIFA announcing they’ll be moving the registration windows for players.

And before anyone comes back talking about prize money, ending the season now would likely forgo the remaining TV and sponsorship payments (why would they pay up for games that never happened?), so any prize money paid out off the back of calling the season as it is would be heavily diluted. 

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Also I don’t think the furloughing thing will cover all employees, only those who would have lost there jobs had they not been furloughed.  Can’t see that being applied to players on contracts.

Why wouldn't it cover all employees?

Players on contracts would be the same as being self employed, no?

Still no cost to the club.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Why is completing the league not an option? It can be delayed by however many weeks or months is necessary. It’s a completely knee-jerk reaction doing this when we’re only 2 weeks into a lockdown, especially after UEFA’s statement yesterday and FIFA announcing they’ll be moving the registration windows for players.

And before anyone comes back talking about prize money, ending the season now would likely forgo the remaining TV and sponsorship payments (why would they pay up for games that never happened?), so any prize money paid out off the back of calling the season as it is would be heavily diluted. 

Presumably pre contract have to be re written as do the existing contracts, if the English premiership are furlonging all their staff then I assume Scottish clubs are doing the same who is going to be able to do this work? 

10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If completing the league isn’t an option, what would you prefer we do?!

For a start, the lower leagues could be voted on/decided at the same time as the top flight. That would be a more consistent start to proceedings than this nonsense.

Just now, johnnydun said:

Why wouldn't it cover all employees?

Players on contracts would be the same as being self employed, no?

Still no cost to the club.

I don’t think a player on a contract would be classed as self-employed, I think they would still be employees of the club.  There are probably others on here with a greater knowledge of this than me who could clarify if they’ve not already done so.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Presumably pre contract have to be re written as do the existing contracts, if the English premiership are furlonging all their staff then I assume Scottish clubs are doing the same who is going to be able to do this work? 

This might be the most ridiculous and petty point I’ve seen raised in this topic yet.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I don’t think a player on a contract would be classed as self-employed, I think they would still be employees of the club.  There are probably others on here with a greater knowledge of this than me who could clarify if they’ve not already done so.

Well if that's the case they would be furloughed shirley?

Which brings me back to my original point, if the clubs are not spending any money at this time, why the desperate need for the prize money?

53 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Would be interested in who is kicking up a fuss other than Thistle and Dundee, and why.

Considering United, Alloa and Queens are obvious choices to vote for confirming the current standings, and Lachlan Cameron unsurprisingly aiming to back the option which gets it right up Ian McCall, it doesn’t leave a lot of other (logical) options.