Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Every proposed outcome is shite in response to an even shiter situation.

My preference would be to play the games behind closed doors asap and curtail next season, scrapping the league cup but it seems that isn't a goer.

I'm just in the wait and see group now. If united dont go up, f**k it, I'll be happy in 6 months if my wife and I are healthy enough so that she can get mildly annoyed at me coming in pished on a saturday night after an away day in Ayr.

Perfect 100%

7 minutes ago, srw said:

Its based on points per game though, isn't it.

The league isn’t decided on the basis of “points per game regardless of how many games you’ve played” though. It’s determined by how you performed over the piece with a known number and equal number of games to your opponents.

6 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

The league isn’t decided on the basis of “points per game regardless of how many games you’ve played” though. It’s determined by how you performed over the piece with a known number and equal number of games to your opponents.

That was what I was meaning!

9 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Yes, of course, that kinda goes without saying.

The vote is to end the season now, hence why its been changed. These arent normal times, these arent normal circumstances.

We are the main Championship beneficiaries if this goes through.

Despite that though, in truth I don't much like it.  I'd prefer the season got finished whenever, necessitating a truncated next one if need be.  I'd even prefer the whole thing was scrapped - null and void, as I think it's actually fairer.

It does seem though that neither of those is practically or financially viable and if that really is the case, this 'solution' maybe is the fairest available.  

I don't think it's fair to tie the provision of funding to the outcome of the vote though.  Neither do I think the tentative, vague dangling of league reconstruction over the process is useful for anyone.

We don't know how long this shite is going to keep us from playing. The way things are going it could even be this time next year, if ever.

Despite Queens looking like being safe if the proposal is backed, I would much rather the season was played out whenever we go back. And it would be crap for Thistle to be relegated when they are only 2 points behind us with a game in hand.

We've had a bit of an up and down season, occasionally being brilliant (Queens 4 Arabs 0, Dee 1 Queens 2) and shite (one point from 9 v Alloa), and I would rather Thistle went down, but not this way.

Plus I would be happy to see Hearts get relegated so we had another 'big' team in the league after losing United. Sorry Dee but don't consider you to be a 'big' team.

Does anyone really believe the European preliminary games will be started at the end of June when thousands of people are still dying every day at the moment.

I hope I'm wrong about how long it will take, but I worry.

3 minutes ago, AnotherEdinburghDoonhamer said:

We don't know how long this shite is going to keep us from playing. The way things are going it could even be this time next year, if ever.

I've been wondering whether there will be a point if it keeps up when 'authorities' just go "Right, we've fucked it. Go enjoy yourselves while it lasts." 

I'd reckon about November. 

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

No but others did and I quoted you as you posted the statement.

Simmer down there is weeks of this to go

I'm enjoying the drama, takes my mind off the tedium of the lockdown tbf.

Edited by Ludo*1

40 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

That’s the way it’s usually decided.  It’s remiss of the Scottish footballing authorities not to have factored in a global pandemic into their rule book.  What are they like?

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s the way it’s usually decided.  It’s remiss of the Scottish footballing authorities not to have factored in a global pandemic into their rule book.  What are they like?

Its quite staggering that some cant comprehend this.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If you fail to anticipate a scenario such as this you have a duty to produce a solution that Clubs would have agreed to if proposed before a season had started and therefore before they knew whether they stood to benefit from it.

It is blatantly clear that more than two Championship clubs would not have agreed to a proposal such as this, given its implications for the positions they might have anticipated they would be at risk of finishing in.

The fair solution is to seek to mitigate the consequences of calling the league prematurely, and to recognise that a failure to mitigate overrewards teams that didn’t (yet) fully earn success while overpunishing *only some* clubs that did not (yet) fully deserve punishment.

5 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

If you fail to anticipate a scenario such as this you have a duty to produce a solution that Clubs would have agreed to if proposed before a season had started and therefore before they knew whether they stood to benefit from it.

It is blatantly clear that more than two Championship clubs would not have agreed to a proposal such as this, given its implications for the positions they might have anticipated they would be at risk of finishing in.

The fair solution is to seek to mitigate the consequences of calling the league prematurely, and to recognise that a failure to mitigate overrewards teams that didn’t (yet) fully earn success while overpunishing *only some* clubs that did not (yet) fully deserve punishment.

^^^^ seething 

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

After the 1st world war you would have thought all sporting authorities would have realised extremely serious and unexpected events can come along from time to time that COULD prevent a standard season being completed. You would also have thought someone in authority may have thought to insert a couple of sentences covering what the procedure should be if any future events prevented a season being completed.

After the 2nd world war you would have thought it would have reminded someone once again that extremely serious and unexpected events COULD prevent a season from being completed.

Surely they will make it third time lucky after this is over and take the sensible precaution to amend the rules.