Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

'Business interruption insurance covers you for loss of income during periods when you cannot carry out business as usual due to an unexpected event.'

Don't talk shite.

Link: https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/business-insurance/business-interruption-insurance/

I take it that you couldn’t be bothered reading the “Making a Claim” section.

7 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

I take it that you couldn’t be bothered reading the “Making a Claim” section.

I take it you couldn't be bothered reading the club statement, '...specific additions of Notifiable Diseases and Prevention of Access to our Commercial Combined Insurance Policy '

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I take it you couldn't be bothered reading the club statement, '...specific additions of Notifiable Diseases and Prevention of Access to our Commercial Combined Insurance Policy '

Somebody’s raging me thinks Ludo!

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Their actions of postponing their flagship men's and women's international tournaments for a year (at substantial cost), postponing their flagship club competition indefinitely (again at substantial cost), postponing and cancelling several youth competitions and taking the unprecedented step of extending league seasons by up to 3 months across Europe suggest they are taking this pretty seriously.

...........and yet they are working on plans expecting countries to “complete current campaigns” perhaps in July and August despite not knowing how the whole of Europe will look at that point?  Remember each European country is at a different stage of the Coronavirus outbreak.  

Edited by Shadow Play

7 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

From the BBC News website:

"Scotland's top football clubs could miss out on European competition next season unless they can complete the current domestic campaign.

Leagues across Europe have been told that ending competitions early could result in them forfeiting Champions League and Europa League places.

A letter sent by Uefa states that a plan is being formulated to complete current campaigns across the continent in July and August.

Both Uefa club competitions, currently at the last 16, would also then resume. "

Read the full story here.

7 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

No surprise that Uefa fails to understand the gravity of what is going on across Europe.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Sorry, what on earth are UEFA as well as the SFA, the SPFL etc. supposed to be doing instead at the moment? Their job is to organise professional football competitions: those competitions have been suspended across Europe and plans need to be made as to whether/how they proceed after the current situation is over. If they were just twiddling their thumbs and sending endless 'thoughts and prayers x' tweets then they wouldn't actually be doing their fucking job.

virginton.  I thought the point I was making, while admittedly brief, was straight forward, however, to add further clarity to the matter:

I wasn’t criticising EUFA for making plans.  I was merely suggesting that to allude to the fact punishments (i.e. no entry to European competitions) will be handed out to leagues should they not “complete current campaigns” by July / August appear not to take into account the gravity of the situation.  In particular it appears to ignore the fact that every European country is at a different stage of the Coronavirus outbreak and that some countries may well struggle to be ready by the dates suggested.  Thank you.

That point wasn't clear to me but in case, I disagree with it. Nobody is getting their crystal ball out here and determining that the situation will be wrapped up neatly by August: UEFA is simply setting out a goal that all European countries should be aiming for. There'd be no point in clearing the Euros from the schedule and opening August and possibly September to conclude outstanding European ties if one of the big leagues like Germany, England or Italy unilaterally decides to chuck their campaign and start their 20/21 season in August: the 'threat' of omitting countries from next season's European qualification is just a measure to ensure that the leagues work to that coordinated schedule for the time being instead.

There's absolutely no doubt that if the situation hasn't improved substantially by the end of June - quite possibly earlier - then this current broad timetable will be either drastically changed or parts of the fixture list will be binned altogether.

Edited by vikingTON

Celtic will be recognised as Scottish champions, Aberdeen will be awarded the country’s spare Europa League place, there will be no expansion of the SPFL Premiership, but the winter break would be axed, for next season at least, according to soundings taken by Telegraph Sport.

The SPFL has yet to resolve the many issues created by the truncation of its league schedules because of the Covid-19 lockdown and, as always, there are contending points of view amongst clubs, but a desperate need for income is now driving the agenda for many.

Hearts have already flagged a 50% wage reduction for staff and players, while Dundee United have placed almost all staff and players on furlough. This week, Celtic too placed some staff on furlough and promised to top up salaries after administration of the Government’s contribution of 80% of monthly income up to a limit of £2500.

Even had the campaign been proceeding normally, this would be the stage where cash flow is thinnest but, given the state of uncertainty about how and when next season will begin, most clubs badly need the money which is allotted according to final placings in the league tables. Nor can they afford to have their prospect of season ticket sales hindered by debates about league reconstruction.

Revenue from final placings would normally be distributed in May but that cannot be done for as long as the 2019-20 season is kept in abeyance, so there is a strong motive for those unaffected by title races and relegation struggles to move for the league campaign to be declared to be finished. That view has been reinforced by the decision of the Belgian Pro League to stop their competition now, with Club Brugge recognised as champions by virtue of their 15-point lead over KAA Gent, although Uefa still want national leagues to attempt to play to a finish – behind closed doors, if necessary – in July or even August.

The closed doors option has been ruled out unofficially in Scotland because, even in the event of lockdown being eased, it would require the co-operation of emergency services who are likely still to be overstretched or exhausted. There are differences between the views of the UK and Scottish governments about how long the lockdown is likely to be in place, with the Holyrood administration less inclined to contemplate a shortened quarantine.

As far as possible, clubs want to get on with selling season tickets for a set-up as close to the norm as possible, which is a barrier to those proposing league of three divisions with 14 in each. Another difficulty presented by any proposal for a truncated campaign is that those who paid for 2019-20 season tickets will not have had full value for their outlay.

One solution is to expand the scope of next season’s offers to include Scottish Cup and League Cup ties, or to issue vouchers for holders to bring along a guest for free for the equivalent of the missed games. That outcome would be beneficial for clubs with spare capacity at their grounds and would generate greater catering and merchandising revenues, but would be difficult for the likes of Celtic and Rangers, the bulk of whose spectators are season ticket holders, although they could be offered free or discounted tickets for European matches.

This season’s Scottish Cup semi-finals and semi-finals have been postponed indefinitely but could be played before December to yield a 2020 winner. The two Hampden semis– Hearts vs Hibs and Celtic vs Aberdeen – are money-spinning occasions which the contending clubs want to be played. Traditionally, the competition provides a European place for the winner or beaten finalist but, if the tournament is deferred, an entry to the Europa League would become available to the next available SPFL club – in this case Aberdeen, who are fourth in the table.

Scottish Premiership

Team P W D L GD Pts
1 Celtic 30 26 2 2 70 80
2 Rangers 29 21 4 4 45 67
3 Motherwell 30 14 4 12 3 46
4 Aberdeen 30 12 9 9 4 45
5 Livingston 30 10 9 11 2 39
6 Hibernian 30 9 10 11 -7 37
7 St. Johnstone 29 8 12 9 -18 36
8 Kilmarnock 30 9 6 15 -10 33
9 St. Mirren 30 7 8 15 -17 29
10 Ross County 30 7 8 15 -31 29
11 Hamilton Academical 30 6 9 15 -20 27
12 Heart of Midlothian 30 4 11 15 -21 23

The fact that three of the four semi-finalists are SPFL clubs plus the likelihood that Hearts, even if relegated, would not be involved before the fourth round of the 2020-21 Scottish Cup - to be played next January - clears the way for a deferred finale to this season’s tournament to be played before the end of the year.

The extra fixtures would, however, add to congestion which will be created if next season starts later than the first week in August, meaning that the winter break would almost certainly have to be cancelled. Much to-and-fro will occur over the next few weeks but, barring a near-miraculous early end to the Covid-19 shutdown, the chance of a fulfilled SPFL schedule is remote.

The possibility of a wartime-style season – in which the title would have unofficial status – is adamantly opposed by most clubs sounded by Telegraph Sport. “There were no TV deals and large-scale commercial contracts during the war,” said one source. “It’s just not going to happen.”

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

...........and yet they are working on plans expecting countries to “complete current campaigns” perhaps in July and August despite not knowing how the whole of Europe will look at that point?  Remember each European country is at a different stage of the Coronavirus outbreak.  

They are working on plans to make it happen. All of their declarations have had the caveat of "if allowed by the appropriate government" or something along those lines. Their "deadlines" aren't deadlines at all, and they have been at pains to show that everything is subject to change. Nobody will be getting "punished" if the governments don't allow football to continue.

As for the article posted by "srw" above, I'd maybe have a bit more faith in it if the author didn't display that he clearly doesn't have a fucking clue what the SPFL is.

16 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

Next spfl board meeting Tuesday so might I say might be clearer after that .

Sent from my Samsung s20 gold

What does 'nil and void mean'?

Null and void off the table. Greetin blue noses here we go!

Right guys wee change overnight . Spfl/sfa are saying Nil and Void not on the table due to the FIFA letter issued Friday . for clubs to take their place in next season two euro comp you need to do two things finish your season or announce your winners simple if not your places for 2020/21 season will not exist . so it as is all teams at the top now are winners and all teams at bottom go down . some happy and some unhappy people going about but remember its only football . we are losing 1000s of life's all over the world . stay safe you can replace a football team you can't replace a life

Sent from my Samsung s20 gold