Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

11 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

The spfl don’t sit on piles of cash waiting to find out where clubs will finish.  And as pointed out sky/bt are hardly going to be keen to hand over money for a product they haven’t received. 

Pretty sure i read the other week the broadcasters had given this years money to the SPFL already

16 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

The spfl don’t sit on piles of cash waiting to find out where clubs will finish.  And as pointed out sky/bt are hardly going to be keen to hand over money for a product they haven’t received. 

And a big part of this is because the clubs voted it so.

42 minutes ago, rb123! said:

No so the prize money can get distributed to the clubs ASAP who desperatly need cash just now with no income from games

The prize money can be distributed whenever the SPFL want - it doesn't have to be tied in with making a decision to finish the season. It gets paid up across the season anyway, and clubs got an advance payment last week. It's not clear whether that remaining prize money will be forthcoming anyway, given that the broadcasters and sponsors are unlikely to pay for the games that didn't go ahead.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

And a big part of this is because the clubs voted it so.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? The clubs wouldn't have really been able to vote for anything else to happen - even if all the clubs wanted the broadcasters and sponsors to pay up front, they'd definitely say "lol no" just like any business who ask for full payment for something that hasn't been provided yet.

Edited by craigkillie

Yeah. They currently use this format in Romania. Top 6 play 36 games, bottom 8 play 40.
Teams in the same league playing a different number of fixtures isn't perfect, but it would actually suit Scottish football quite well as it means the TV companies get to keep the 4 games they really care about, and those in the bottom eight get more games to offset losing their third fixture against the bigots. The only teams really disadvantaged from a fixture perspective are the top six, but you could always work around that by distributing the prize money slightly differently.

It would make more sense for it to be 8/6. As the bottom clubs would be involved in some kind of playoff with the championship.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I would suspect that a 14 team solution wouldn't pass because a lot of Championship clubs would oppose it.

Wouldn't have thought that Ayr, Dundee, Dunfermline, Morton or Arbroath would be happy that ICT were going up automatically.

Aside from continuing this season (which may not be an option), expanding the top flight would be the best outcome for these teams as it theoretically makes things easier for them next season and possibly beyond.

The alternatives are the leagues being voided or the leagues finishing as things stand, and in both cases none of these teams will go up anyway and will have equally tough campaigns to negotiate next year.

7 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I think you might be. Read your reply about new rules created for administration/liquidation. 

But the new rules were made because two governing bodies merged. Previously they each had their own ways of dealing with things.

Who/what is merging now?

I would suspect that a 14 team solution wouldn't pass because a lot of Championship clubs would oppose it.

Wouldn't have thought that Ayr, Dundee, Dunfermline, Morton or Arbroath would be happy that ICT were going up automatically.

Listen folks SFA/ SPFL are not going to keep every team happy there are going to be winners and losers but 1000s are losing their lives daily all over the world . No football in The UK will be played by August / September simple . you will be lucky to start next season in time who worries its only football .

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I can’t see it taking to Sept to get fitba back again. That’s 5 full months away. Experts are expecting the “peak” to be in the next week or so. Fs Wuhan is practically back to normal after 3 months of social distancing/lockdown

If it peaks next week it'll be because we'll have been in lockdown for a fortnight by then. The only way to prevent a second peak will be to keep everyone in lockdown for a sustained period. Whether that's another month or another 3 months remains to be seen. The expert advice that I've seen reported is that we won't be able to stop social distancing until sufficient people have been infected to achieve herd immunity or there is a vaccine. 

9 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

If it peaks next week it'll be because we'll have been in lockdown for a fortnight by then. The only way to prevent a second peak will be to keep everyone in lockdown for a sustained period. Whether that's another month or another 3 months remains to be seen. The expert advice that I've seen reported is that we won't be able to stop social distancing until sufficient people have been infected to achieve herd immunity or there is a vaccine. 

3 months is impractical. Folk are going crazy as it is and it’s only been just over  a week. I can’t imagine families/partners that don’t live together etc, sticking to social distancing measures for 3 months

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

So rules can change 🙈

No, that doesn't prove they can, at least not whilst a season is in progress. They were new rules for a new governing body, rules that all clubs signed up to.

No club have signed up to rules being change whilst a season is in progress, without a meeting and without voting on it.

The SPFL don't have the power or authority to just change rules themselves, and then tell the clubs they have to accept them, whenever they want.

As if often said, the SPFL are the clubs, so why would multiple clubs vote themselves a points deduction?!

So your hope that Dundee United will be deducted points won't happen.

Edited by DA Baracus

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

3 months is impractical. Folk are going crazy as it is and it’s only been just over  a week. I can’t imagine families/partners that don’t live together etc, sticking to social distancing measures for 3 months

No, the lockdown might last for another 3 months; social distancing will be expected for a lot longer than that certainly well into the summer and quite possibly until next year.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

No, the lockdown might last for another 3 months; social distancing will be expected for a lot longer than that certainly well into the summer and quite possibly until next year.

Even if it remains in place widespread flouting will kick in very quickly. Right now some people are thinking f**k it I’ll go see my pals.  Try and uphold much beyond the initial announced lockdown period and pubs will operate even if just to regulars and who they vouch for.    Normal behaviour will come in for far to high of a % that stopping football will have little effect.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Even if it remains in place widespread flouting will kick in very quickly. Right now some people are thinking f**k it I’ll go see my pals.  Try and uphold much beyond the initial announced lockdown period and pubs will operate even if just to regulars and who they vouch for.    Normal behaviour will come in for far to high of a % that stopping football will have little effect.

If a landlord opens in defiance of the current law they will be prosecuted, fined, potentially imprisoned, and have their licence forfeit.

There will be no “vouching”.

People need to stay the f**k at home and do as they’re told.

11 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

If a landlord opens in defiance of the current law they will be prosecuted, fined, potentially imprisoned, and have their licence forfeit.

There will be no “vouching”.

People need to stay the f**k at home and do as they’re told.The same sort of thing that applies to servicing under age customers?  

it works for now and the longer it works the better but as said people are eventually going to think f**k it. Unless your a city centre bar the chances of being caught if you apply any common sense are next to 0.

stay home only works temporarily, and is why the government have been careful with timing.  Try and push it too long and wide spread disobedience will occur.  And those that are out going round all their pals and generally ignoring any social distancing when on their ‘entitled’ exercise or shopping will be delighted  to go to the pub or any other event.  Stay home goes in the same category as don’t take drugs, don’t speed etc, yeah we know we shouldn’t, but we also know that it’s ignored by a large % and that your probability of getting caught is very low and the punishments for first offenders are not significant.