Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

Should clubs furloughing wages be deducted points?

Cant have clubs who overpay players, which they can’t afford, gaining an advantage over clubs footing the wages.

Ironic that the 3 league leaders (Celtic, Utd, Cove) are furloughing 1st after vastly outspending the rest of the teams in their leagues.

Yeah it sounds morally right to hand out titles,promotion etc to clubs that do this. 

Ffs.

22 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

No they aren’t, they’re furloughing. Word on the pavey up here is the bank debt is going up and up.   

Were there rules about administration and liquidation before they started happening?

Yes, when the SPFL formed they drew us rules around administration. Not sure about liquidation. 

I wonder if the furloughing in football may get looked at again, certainly with Tottenham furloughing non playing staff but paying their players as normal.

I’d argue that furloughing when you don’t need to is unethical, especially for a multi-million pound football team, but for most Scottish teams the finance would dictate you have to.

Also, regarding the rugby comparison, I see that Biggar have decided to appeal not being promoted...if that is happening at an amateur level then it’s a potential clustefuck in the SPFL. The clubs were also given several options:

1. Null and void, no promotion or relegation
2. Standings as they were would stand, despite some teams not having played all games, promotion and relegation would happen.
3. Award 2 points to each team (as if it were a draw) for outstanding games, promotion and relegation would stand.
4. Double up any outstanding fixtures based on previous result. For example, if team A had won 28-0 against team B in the first fixture, then team A would be awarded the same result in the reverse fixture. Again, promotion and relegation would stand.

There is always going to be losers and winners no matter what is decided.

14 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I wonder if the furloughing in football may get looked at again, certainly with Tottenham furloughing non playing staff but paying their players as normal.

I’d argue that furloughing when you don’t need to is unethical, especially for a multi-million pound football team, but for most Scottish teams the finance would dictate you have to.

What's that argument then? Out of interest. Adherence with the lockdown is for the greater good of the entire country it's not for the benefit of the individual person or business. If I'm being asked/told to stop operating my business for the good of the country why shouldn't I be supported in bearing my inevitable losses that result simply because my business is successful or high profile. There are very, very few businesses which can just shut up shop for several months and survive, certainly no football clubs I would expect.

Edited by Pull My Strings

What's that argument then? Out of interest. Adherence with the lockdown is for the greater good of the entire country it's not for the benefit of the individual person or business. If I'm being asked/told to stop operating my business for the good of the country why shouldn't I be supported in bearing my inevitable losses that result simply because my business is successful or high profile. There are very, very few businesses which can just shut up shop for several months and survive, certainly no football clubs I would expect.

I would say it was unethical to still pay some of your staff hundreds of thousands of pounds, while reducing the income of people who are on a fraction of that amount.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I've decided, in my infinite wisdom, the best thing to do would be to void the season and start from scratch. Year Zero. But how best to decide where clubs sit? Like the East of Scotland league did to accommodate the refugees from the juniors we will give our clubs a seeding based on current league and league position and then put them into roughly equal conferences whenever games begin again. Everyone plays home and away and the winners of each conference make up the Premier League, the 2nd place teams make up the league below and so on and so forth with regionalisation coming in whenever it suits. The 16 league winners will play off, home and away, to decide that season's champions. I have, handily, already created the leagues for everyone to enjoy.

Reveal hidden contents

Celtic

Stranraer
Cove Rangers

Gala Fairydean

Huntly

Dunbar United

Wigtown & Bladnoch     

Invergordon 

Kilwinning Rangers

Tayport

Bathgate Thistle

Burghead Thistle

Cumbernauld United

Forfar Albion

Linlithgow Rose Community

Muirkirk Juniors

Maybole Juniors

Rangers

Forfar Athletic

Edinburgh City

Deveronvale

Berwick Rangers

Upper Annandale           

Crossgates Primrose 

Craigroyston  

Carnoustie Panmure

Beith Juniors

Montrose Roselea

Aberdeen University JFC

Blairgowrie Juniors

Whitletts Victoria

Buchanhaven Hearts

Yoker Athletic

Johnstone Burgh

Motherwell

Peterhead

Elgin City

University of Stirling

Strathspey Thistle

Linlithgow Rose

Lochmaben       

Arniston Rangers
Livingston United

Inverness

Bunillidh

Forres Thistle

Newburgh

Glentanar J.F.C.

Whitehills J.F.C.

Vale of Leven

Ashfield

Aberdeen

Clyde

Cowdenbeath

Wick Academy

Gretna 2008

Lochar Thistle

Sauchie Juniors

Peebles Rovers  

Banks O'Dee

Bridge of Don Thistle

Kilbirnie Ladeside

Sunnybank

Stonehaven

Buckie Rovers

Kilsyth Rangers

Royal Albert

Thorniewood United

Livingston

Dumbarton

Queen's Park

Cumbernauld Colts

Turriff United

Jeanfield Swifts 

Creetown

Easthouses Lily MW 

Thurso 

Fauldhouse United

Kirriemuir Thistle

Rosyth

Newmachar United JFC

Syngenta

Bo'ness United Junior

East Kilbride Thistle

Forth Wanderers

Hibernian

East Fife

Stirling Albion

Keith

Edinburgh University

St Cuthbert Wanderers

Blackburn United 

Ormiston  

Pollok

Luncarty

Harthill Royal

Dundee East Craigie

Blantyre Victoria

Coupar Angus

Dalry Thistle

Wishaw Juniors

Annbank United

St Johnstone

Montrose

Annan Athletic

Caledonian Braves

Clachnacuddin

Musselburgh Athletic

Whitehill Welfare

Hawick Royal Albert United  

Broughty Athletic

Glenafton Athletic

Deveronside

Darvel Juniors

Dundee Violet

Neilston Juniors

West Calder United

Kello Rovers                      

Vale of Clyde

Kilmarnock

Airdrieonians

Stenhousemuir

Nairn County

Dalbeattie Star

Heston Rovers

Newtongrange Star  

Burntisland Shipyard  

Pumpherston

Halkirk Utd

Bonar Bridge 

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Stoneyburn       

Cruden Bay

Gartcairn

Maryhill

St. Anthony's

St Mirren

Falkirk

Albion Rovers

East Kilbride

Lossiemouth

Penicuik Athletic

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

Tweedmouth Rangers 

Culter

Dyce

Scone Thistle

Rutherglen Glencairn

Fraserburgh United

Dufftown J.F.C.

Petershill

Girvan

Saltcoats Victoria

Ross County

Raith Rovers

Brechin City       

Forres Mechanics

Vale of Leithen 

Nithsdale Wanderers    

Tynecastle  

Oakley United  

Golspie

Armadale Thistle

Kennoway Star Hearts

Maud

Islavale

Sauchie Juniors Community

St. Roch's

Bellshill Athletic

Newmains United

Hamilton Academical

Partick Thistle

Brora Rangers

Civil Service Strollers

Fort William 

Dundonald Bluebell 

Leith Athletic  

Coldstream  

Auchinleck Talbot

Dundee North End         

Aberdeen East End

Benburb

Renfrew

Lochee Harp

Cambuslang Rangers

Larkhall Thistle

Lugar Boswell Thistle

Heart of Midlothian

Queen of the South

Kelty Hearts

Formartine United

Bo'ness United

Newton Stewart             

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts  

St Andrews United  

Lochee United

Clydebank

Rossvale

Ellon United

Arbroath Victoria

Arthurlie

Craigmark Burntonians

Glasgow Perthshire

Ardeer Thistle

Dundee United

Alloa Athletic

Inverurie Loco Works

The Spartans

Threave Rovers

Camelon Juniors 

Dunipace  

Dalkeith Thistle  

Whitburn Juniors

Orkney

Forfar West End

Troon

Kirkcaldy & Dysart

Spey Valley United

Irvine Victoria

Carluke Rovers

Glasgow Uni

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Greenock Morton

Bonnyrigg Rose

Buckie Thistle

Broxburn Athletic 

Mid Annandale

Glenrothes  

Kinnoull FC  

Hermes

Nairn St. Ninian

Lochore Welfare

Hall Russell United

Longside

Stoneywood-Parkvale

Ardrossan Winton Rovers

Greenock Juniors

Drumchapel PYM

Dundee

Arbroath

Fraserburgh

BSC Glasgow                     

Abbey Vale        

Tranent Juniors  

Heriot Watt University  

Preston Athletic  

St. Duthus

Thornton Hibs

Colony Park JFC

Hurlford United

New Elgin

Lochgelly Albert

Lanark United

Lesmahagow Juniors

Oban Saints

Ayr United

Dunfermline

East Stirlingshire

Rothes

Hill of Beath Hawthorn

Bonnyton Thistle

Edinburgh United  

Haddington Athletic  

Irvine Meadow XI

Dundee Downfield

Largs Thistle

Banchory St. Ternan

Shotts Bon Accord

Brechin Victoria

Shettleston

Port Glasgow Juniors

Strathclyde Uni

Already looking forward to the Greenock derby and Queen of the South's humiliating defeat against Newton Stewart

Aye there are a few powderkeg fixtures there. That Greenock derby has a Besiktas v Galatasaray feel about it. Dyce v Culter will require a huge police presence too.

I'm buzzing for our relegation battle with Accies. Are the pies in Brora any good?

Great work. 

8 minutes ago, super_carson said:
21 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I would say it was unethical to still pay some of your staff hundreds of thousands of pounds, while reducing the income of people who are on a fraction of that amount.

Tbf, that's a gut feeling rather than an argument and it's also an entirely different gut feeling than the first one you made.

As someone who runs a business and who has had to furlough staff I would say that those who are furloughed are delighted to take up the option (and it is entirely optional). You'll get a minimum 80% of your salary for no work (and 100% if that's possible). Fingers crossed there will still be a business to come back to when this is all over.

So far, so "ethical". I don't have staff earning hundreds of thousands a year but if I did I can see that it would be a much more difficult proposition. I could offer them the chance to be furloughed but at the cost of a much greater reduction in their salary. They might prefer just to be made redundant in that scenario and take their chances elsewhere.

It's easy to criticise other people for being "unethical" when you don't have to make those sorts of decisions yourself.

Tbf, that's a gut feeling rather than an argument and it's also an entirely different gut feeling than the first one you made.
As someone who runs a business and who has had to furlough staff I would say that those who are furloughed are delighted to take up the option (and it is entirely optional). You'll get a minimum 80% of your salary for no work (and 100% if that's possible). Fingers crossed there will still be a business to come back to when this is all over.
So far, so "ethical". I don't have staff earning hundreds of thousands a year but if I did I can see that it would be a much more difficult proposition. I could offer them the chance to be furloughed but at the cost of a much greater reduction in their salary. They might prefer just to be made redundant in that scenario and take their chances elsewhere.
It's easy to criticise other people for being "unethical" when you don't have to make those sorts of decisions yourself.
At the risk of getting into an academic debate about what ethics are, ethics really are just 'gut feelings'.

I have sympathy for anyone whose business has been effected by this, it's not their fault at all and I genuinely hope that your business manages to come through this. T

My point was, specifically in the case of Spurs, it seems off to keep paying the footballers their usual wage while reducing the already significantly smaller salaries.of background staff. The staff being reduced may well be OK with this, as you say, but I also know a lot of people who couldn't afford to lose 20% of their wage voluntarily.

And of course none of this really applies to Scottish football.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

I wish tbh they would just hurry up and decide what to do because it's obvious no football will be able to be played, certainly with supporters, until August at the earliest. 

So imo just announce that the season has finished and it's either:

1. Null and Void 

2. 1st and 2nd go up and bottom and 2nd bottom go down (personally wouldn't agree with this option)

3. Top 4 from Championship go up with no relegation happening so most people are pleased. Leaves 16 in the Premiership where we play each other twice, then in a final split top 8 play each other once and bottom 8 play each other once, a cup style draw would be used to decide who plays home and away in the split. Could use this opportunity as a trial season to see if it's a success and if it isn't bin it. Not sure how this option would work for further down the leagues cause you'd inevitably have to fill half of league 2 with premiership colt teams probably.

Why do they need to hurry up? To suit you?

2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

At the risk of getting into an academic debate about what ethics are, ethics really are just 'gut feelings'.

I have sympathy for anyone whose business has been effected by this, it's not their fault at all and I genuinely hope that your business manages to come through this. T

My point was, specifically in the case of Spurs, it seems off to keep paying the footballers their usual wage while reducing the already significantly smaller salaries.of background staff. The staff being reduced may well be OK with this, as you say, but I also know a lot of people who couldn't afford to lose 20% of their wage voluntarily.

And of course none of this really applies to Scottish football.

The staff have got to agree to be furloughed though and if they refuse then the club's options are to keep paying them or make them redundant. As I understand it the clubs are in discussion with the PFA to find  a solution. No doubt that something will ultimately be agreed which works for both parties but just because you can't fix everything immediately doesn't mean you shouldn't fix what you can as soon as you can.

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

I also see that Belgium have cancelled their league and play offs, with results as the were standing meaning that Club Brugge are champions.

Looks like Partick and Hearts are gubbed.

Hard luck Falkirk a near thing.

Another point which may have been covered elsewhere. 

If you are a BT customer you can get a £10/month refund as there is no current live sport.

Expect they will seek to reduce payments to leagues as no product on offer.

12 minutes ago, rb123! said:

No so the prize money can get distributed to the clubs ASAP who desperatly need cash just now with no income from games

The spfl don’t sit on piles of cash waiting to find out where clubs will finish.  And as pointed out sky/bt are hardly going to be keen to hand over money for a product they haven’t received. 

Edited by parsforlife