Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

There has been a lot of talk about how this season should finish but if the report on the BBC website (detailed below) is accurate it’s very unlikely that any of us will be back supporting our team in time for the start of the new season.  Now that will have massive consequences for clubs.

UK lockdown 'could last until June'

Tough measures to tackle the outbreak in the UK have been in force for nearly a week - but a leading government adviser has warned they may need to remain in place until June.

Imperial College London Professor Neil Ferguson told the Sunday Times: “We’re going to have to keep these measures (the full lockdown) in place, in my view, for a significant period of time – probably until the end of May, maybe even early June.  He added that even if the lockdown was lifted, people would probably still need to abide by social distancing measures for months to come.

20 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

There has been a lot of talk about how this season should finish but if the report on the BBC website (detailed below) is accurate it’s very unlikely that any of us will be back supporting our team in time for the start of the new season.  Now that will have massive consequences for clubs.

Tough measures to tackle the outbreak in the UK have been in force for nearly a week - but a leading government adviser has warned they may need to remain in place until June.

Imperial College London Professor Neil Ferguson told the Sunday Times: “We’re going to have to keep these measures (the full lockdown) in place, in my view, for a significant period of time – probably until the end of May, maybe even early June.  He added that even if the lockdown was lifted, people would probably still need to abide by social distancing measures for months to come.

Meanwhile, in other news, a big boat sank in the Atlantic in 1912.

Anyone who thinks professional football might possibly have been played before the scheduled start of next season is in cuckoo land. The football authorities know this too, they are just giving themselves time to consider the best way forward. If we play an open door match in this country before September I will be surprised. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

10 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I agree, but at least a week of this lockdown would be filled with laughter.

Peter Pawlett was in Wuhan when the whole thing started.

Now I’m not saying it was his fault but people can draw their own conclusions.

4 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Also not to forget some of the scientists are saying that this horrific virus could have a lull in the summer but come back equally as deadly in October/November in which case there’s every likelihood that so much of the country including football will shut down again.

basically until a vaccine is developed which could be 18 months away it’s sadly unlikely we are going to see the complete end of this pandemic 

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

Also not to forget some of the scientists are saying that this horrific virus could have a lull in the summer but come back equally as deadly in October/November in which case there’s every likelihood that so much of the country including football will shut down again.

basically until a vaccine is developed which could be 18 months away it’s sadly unlikely we are going to see the complete end of this pandemic 

With social distancing running properly you could not restart football at all. 

How could the players tackle and the capacity of each ground would be tiny. 

We might all be back at work or working from home but with no sport , no pubs and no holidays for 18 months.

41 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

With social distancing running properly you could not restart football at all. 

How could the players tackle and the capacity of each ground would be tiny. 

We might all be back at work or working from home but with no sport , no pubs and no holidays for 18 months.

That could well be the case until a proven effective vaccine is in place.

With all the uncertainty of transmitting the virus through close proximity and the difficulty of achieving a “herd immunity” acquired through greater exposure - what we are trying to avoid at the moment; it’s clear that the long haul of football being played is a minimum of 12 or 13 weeks. And none of the experts knows at this time how long we will have to stay away from people, I would be surprised if the numbers of infections and deaths would permit a return to normal. Complicated even more by a potentially resurgent virus as we all trek back to normal, a further delay in allowing people to congregate might occur. Then add the necessary time for the footballers to undergo a sort of preseason, not to mention the issue of contracts being finished in June, it seems to me highly unlikely that any more of this season games will be played in the next three to four months.
If these sad assumptions are correct, the authorities will have difficulties in deciding what to do. They may be lucky, although it would do my head in, and have no football being played until 2021, at which point we could see the last games of 2019/20 season played in February/ March/ April next year.
But then who the f**k knows.
Keep healthy football followers.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It would be a travesty of justice if United were denied the title.

I disagree, they were out on their arses. Can’t see where they were picking up another win. 1 win in 7 and their last game was a 1 all draw at home to the worst team in the league. Inverness were winning the title. 

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

That could well be the case until a proven effective vaccine is in place.

38 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

18 months without football to attend? Someone pass me a gun 

If you're going to shoot Sandy you can have mine.

53 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

With all the uncertainty of transmitting the virus through close proximity and the difficulty of achieving a “herd immunity” acquired through greater exposure - what we are trying to avoid at the moment; it’s clear that the long haul of football being played is a minimum of 12 or 13 weeks. And none of the experts knows at this time how long we will have to stay away from people, I would be surprised if the numbers of infections and deaths would permit a return to normal. Complicated even more by a potentially resurgent virus as we all trek back to normal, a further delay in allowing people to congregate might occur. Then add the necessary time for the footballers to undergo a sort of preseason, not to mention the issue of contracts being finished in June, it seems to me highly unlikely that any more of this season games will be played in the next three to four months.
If these sad assumptions are correct, the authorities will have difficulties in deciding what to do. They may be lucky, although it would do my head in, and have no football being played until 2021, at which point we could see the last games of 2019/20 season played in February/ March/ April next year.
But then who the f**k knows.
Keep healthy football followers.

They’d be hardly any clubs able to fulfil the fixtures if we’re waiting a year for them. Clubs need Matchday income, and yes it’s alright saying the Government may help or pay 80% of players wages, but so much extra revenue on a match day goes so far for teams in the lower leagues