Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

12 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

The likes of Cove and United would feel justifiably aggrieved and it would be pretty embarrassing for Thistle to remain in the division that way, but when there's no perfect solution perhaps just writing the year off is better than awarding titles that haven't been won and relegating teams who, despite being utter dogshite, aren't mathematically down?

Our governing bodies likely don’t give a f**k about United, Cove, Thistle, Brechin, etc. If it ends up being unworkable to complete this season then I’d guess their concerns will be pretty much limited to “if we finalise the leagues as they stand we’ll piss off Rangers” and “if we void the season completely we’ll piss off Celtic” - and anyone else who happens to be impacted by whatever conclusion they finally arrive at will just be collateral damage.

UEFA have officially confirmed that the Champions and Europa Leagues are postponed with no re-arranged dates discussed.
That just puts them in the same boat as most domestic leagues. They are still intending to complete the competition.

5 hours ago, Dee Man said:

If you take the word COVID, remove the letter C and rearrange the remaining letters you get VOID. 

That's all I'm saying. 

I would agree with that. If we're in times requiring lock down akin to World Wars, then playing sport of any kind just shouldn't even register with people. Even behind closed doors. That just reeks of selfishness for me, a sort of the show will not be derailed even by a pandemic. 

The history books should show that these were indeed unprecedented times and that this is a void season. 

People are dying all over the world. There's surely more important things to worry about. 

Edited by BukyOHare

25 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I would agree with that. If we're in times requiring lock down akin to World Wars, then playing sport of any kind just shouldn't even register with people. Even behind closed doors. That just reeks of selfishness for me, a sort of the show will not be derailed even by a pandemic. 

The history books should show that these were indeed unprecedented times and that this is a void season. 

People are dying all over the world. There's surely more important things to worry about. 

Thing is that until an effective and proven vaccine is introduced I like most would be wary of attending any large gathering, so with that any games conducted in the near future would probably be behind closed doors and there is no financial reward in that given that Championship TV coverage would be. as it always is, limited.

Totally agree, but in these times we have to err on the side of caution as long as that has to take. 

The fact that clubs would be willing to play games behind closed doors and risk their players health so that promotion and relegation can be decided is laughable but more seriously could be deadly. 

Playing games behind closed doors will still attract fans undoubtedly. It's just not worth it. I'll be bitterly disappointed if the season is completed, a thought a month ago I wouldn't have had. 

The authorities must act properly and if they don't then the government has to act and force a closure. 

Nobody goes up, nobody goes down and there are no trophies handed out. Ffs people are dying in their thousands all over the world, football isn't as important as that. 

Unprecedented times = unprecedented measures. Like it or not, these are unprecedented times. 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

I undercooked my omelette this morning. I fear for the pan later today. 

Edited by Dele

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Totally agree, but in these times we have to err on the side of caution as long as that has to take. 

The fact that clubs would be willing to play games behind closed doors and risk their players health so that promotion and relegation can be decided is laughable but more seriously could be deadly. 

Playing games behind closed doors will still attract fans undoubtedly. It's just not worth it. I'll be bitterly disappointed if the season is completed, a thought a month ago I wouldn't have had. 

The authorities must act properly and if they don't then the government has to act and force a closure. 

Nobody goes up, nobody goes down and there are no trophies handed out. Ffs people are dying in their thousands all over the world, football isn't as important as that. 

Unprecedented times = unprecedented measures. Like it or not, these are unprecedented times. 

Leaving all your emotive, weepy pish to one side, just because football might not be played again in the near future is not a credible argument for scrapping the outcome of the three-quarters of scheduled matches that have already been played. We know fine well which teams deserve to be crowned champions, as well as promoted and relegated automatically: the league table already provides a decision for that.

When football resumes there is absolutely no good reason why it should not take those objective facts into account when punting teams to their rightful place in the pecking order. Play-off spots are another matter and are dependent on when sporting events get the all-clear again.

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

Leaving all your emotive, weepy pish to one side, just because football might not be played again in the near future is not a credible argument for scrapping the outcome of the three-quarters of scheduled matches that have already been played. We know fine well which teams deserve to be crowned champions, as well as promoted and relegated automatically: the league table already provides a decision for that.

When football resumes there is absolutely no good reason why it should not take those objective facts into account when punting teams to their rightful place in the pecking order. Play-off spots are another matter and are dependent on when sporting events get the all-clear again.

Crazy start to your reply by the way and surely not called for in the current climate. Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion but let me say this:

People. Are. Dying.

Let that actually sink in, think if it was you or your loved ones affected by it and then tell me that sport should even register as being significant at these times.

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

What's an objective fact Doc, and how does it differ from your usual subjective and selective fact?

30 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Crazy start to your reply by the way and surely not called for in the current climate. Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion but let me say this:

People. Are. Dying.

Let that actually sink in, think if it was you or your loved ones affected by it and then tell me that sport should even register as being significant at these times.

Around 40 million people died during the First World War and yet the Scottish top flight played a 30+ game calendar season in each of those four years. We didn't void the 1968-69 season when around 80,000 people in the UK died as a result of the 'Hong Kong' flu pandemic; nor the 57-58 season when another 33,000 were killed by a similar strain. More recently, an estimated 13,000 people died in the bog standard flu season of 2008-09 which went unremarked by everyone apart from medical experts. So the fact of life that contagious diseases happen and that people die of them is not actually relevant to determining the outcome of a season. It is a valid argument to not hold a football match right now but we are still able to work out a credible conclusion to the league campaign while we're all in lockdown.

Edited by vikingTON

None of us on here, nor anyone involved in running Scottish football, can really do anything to help in this situation, besides staying at home as much as possible and following government advice.

Therefore I'm struggling to see how the horrible situation facing people due to coronavirus is particularly relevant here. Discussing the outcomes of football leagues has absolutely no impact on those people who are dying - it's not like we're wasting energy that could otherwise be used saving lives.

16 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

I am booked to go Europa League final but expected that would no longer be taking place.

I know I can cancel my accommodation but will have to see what Ryanair come up with.

Poland's in full lockdown, so I dare say your hotel would have been shut anyway.

Good luck getting a penny off Ryanair of course.