Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

If lockdown is in place for six months, the extraordinary measure of converting the league to a summer one with a third of the season still to go might be the best way to square the circle. Suspect that the old firm might be persuaded to go for this because it means they'll always be match-fit for the Europa qualifiers.

As for speculating how long things are gonna last, I'm in the "shit hasn't yet started to hit the fan" camp. Now predicting both Campbells are going down.

Edited by Thumper

2 hours ago, Crawford said:

You don't for a single second believe that do you?

Russia also believes they don't have an issue. China is also trying to say the source was not domestic but in Indonesia.

Anyhow, lab trials show Chloroquine is nuking the viral particles. Cheap, non IP protected drug. Another few weeks we will have our answer if it is effective on already infected people.

Fingers crossed.

That China has reduced the number of indigenous cases to zero? Yes, I do.

'Russia also believes they don't have an issue ' You seem to be implying that China believes they don't have an issue. I don't think China are claiming that.

'China is also trying to say the source was not domestic but in Indonesia ' What do you mean trying to say? Are they having trouble speaking?

21 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Saw an article saying China have opened up thousands of social “places” again after 6 or so weeks. Really hope the same happens here instead of prophets of doom on the news saying social distancing could be in place here for a year

According to the latest figures in yesterday's Daily Telegraph, Britain's trajectory is even worse than Italy's. It's spreading even faster than Italy because many people have ignored social distancing advice. 

Britain is about two weeks behind Italy so the lockdown could come sooner than many expect. It could also last a few months if the death rate increases to Italy's. Unless the infection rate slows quickly, the chances of football returning in the summer are slim. 

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

According to the latest figures in yesterday's Daily Telegraph, Britain's trajectory is even worse than Italy's. It's spreading even faster than Italy because many people have ignored social distancing advice. 

Britain is about two weeks behind Italy so the lockdown could come sooner than many expect. It could also last a few months if the death rate increases to Italy's. Unless the infection rate slows quickly, the chances of football returning in the summer are slim. 

I get the feeling that London, with a population bigger than the whole of Scotland, has become the source of the stories we are getting now. I think the Governments original strategy has now been shown to be very wrong and that the virus is using London as patient zero. 

3 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

I get the feeling that London, with a population bigger than the whole of Scotland, has become the source of the stories we are getting now. I think the Governments original strategy has now been shown to be very wrong and that the virus is using London as patient zero. 

According to the BBC's figures, the rates of infection varies considerably across London - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274.

Westminster is much higher than some suburban areas, e.g. about 4 times higher than Richmond. Cultural behaviour varies greatly due to the diversity of the population. 

1 hour ago, Arnold Layne said:

That China has reduced the number of indigenous cases to zero? Yes, I do.

'Russia also believes they don't have an issue ' You seem to be implying that China believes they don't have an issue. I don't think China are claiming that.

'China is also trying to say the source was not domestic but in Indonesia ' What do you mean trying to say? Are they having trouble speaking?

Yeah, they've always been a beacon of truth and are a  highly trustworthy news source 🥴.

As for my comment on Russia, I was commenting that all the communist led nations are claiming there are no or very little cases and that everything is fine.

And the last paragraph was just pointless. No they obviously don't have trouble speaking. They are attempting to divert responsibility by saying the outbreak originated elsewhere? Better? 

52 minutes ago, Crawford said:

As for my comment on Russia, I was commenting that all the communist led nations are claiming there are no or very little cases and that everything is fine.

Russia hasn't been communist for literally thirty years. I genuinely struggle to imagine when some people last updated any knowledge they had about the world.

As for Chinese indigenous cases having stopped: it's perfectly plausible given that the state has unlimited authority and actually used it, months ago. People are still getting off with random strangers in pubs in the UK. Britain and the US are going to get it so bad that the United Nations might consider funding big domes to put over the top of them for 20 or 30 years.

28 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Russia hasn't been communist for literally thirty years. I genuinely struggle to imagine when some people last updated any knowledge they had about the world.

As for Chinese indigenous cases having stopped: it's perfectly plausible given that the state has unlimited authority and actually used it, months ago. People are still getting off with random strangers in pubs in the UK. Britain and the US are going to get it so bad that the United Nations might consider funding big domes to put over the top of them for 20 or 30 years.

How about using one of Shankland’s hats?

Shankland has saved United on many occasions this season.  Looks like he can now save the world.  That’s definitely doubled his value!

Edited by Shadow Play

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

You can call something whatever you like but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are it's a duck. It's 100% not a republic and in no way democratic. 

Communist was the wrong term though I'll concede.

3 hours ago, Crawford said:

Yeah, they've always been a beacon of truth and are a  highly trustworthy news source 🥴.

And the last paragraph was just pointless. No they obviously don't have trouble speaking. They are attempting to divert responsibility by saying the outbreak originated elsewhere? Better? 

You're right. Bloody commies.

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Holland has now over 4000 confirmed cases, it doesn't matter which country you live in this virus is pandemic and affects us all

China isn’t really communist either tbh, they’ve cherry picked the parts of communism that suit them best but a place like Shanghai doesn’t exist in a communist country.

It’s not wholly unrealistic that they’re starting to keep things under control given their ability to use considerable force to lock everyone away and the sheer man power they have - the kind that lets them build a new hospital from scratch in about a week.

Russia is almost certainly covering up their number of cases though.

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

It might be true though! Maybe Csar Putin had anyone with a cough put to death, so they technically never had the virus.

The city where I live, 1 guy passed away whilst under investigation and showing the classic symptoms.  They were awaiting the results when he passed away so they  (health authorities) refused to count his death amongst official numbers.  The Mayor, rightly in my opinion,  called out the health authorities on this and  put us on lockdown immediately.   

On 19/03/2020 at 12:29, Yenitit said:

Ground breaking news : ALL teams in this league are shite. Could argue Celtic are decent and every other team in Scotland are shite. Don’t get above yer station laddie. 

On 19/03/2020 at 13:55, Big Shedboy said:

Well done for missing the point. 

Laddie.

Can't read that without hearing Gordon Jackson's voice.

23 hours ago, Crawford said:

All of a sudden we’ve to believe what the Chinese government tell us, aye ok then. 

Edited by Yenitit

Trying to get this thread somewhat back on topic...

My next door neighbour here in Italy is head honcho of the local basketball team. They're semi-pro and have attendances of a bit over 1000, so not dissimilar to a league one club or someone like Alloa.
He says the leagues will probably finish as they are but with no promotion or relegation. His team are top of the league and he's spent a lot of his own money putting together a championship contending side. Despite that he explained that it was the best way of dealing with the situation and he's not complaining.

The likes of Cove and United would feel justifiably aggrieved and it would be pretty embarrassing for Thistle to remain in the division that way, but when there's no perfect solution perhaps just writing the year off is better than awarding titles that haven't been won and relegating teams who, despite being utter dogshite, aren't mathematically down?