Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

2 hours ago, Dele said:

Guy I work with told me last week that he got 3 tickets for United Arbroath when they first come out. His daughter tried last Wednesday (maybe Thursday) to get a refund but was refused due to it not officially being cancelled. The news had just broke that the season was on hold so she thought fair enough. 

Anyway; he's went up for a refund yesterday and was told neither he, nor anyone else is getting one until the game is rescheduled and then they can get one. 

Surely that's not on? 

Are all clubs doing this with pre bought match tickets? 

No. Think we had sold about a dozen or so tickets for last fridays Ayr match when it was called off. Anyone who brought one back has been refunded.

I dont think it is particularly fair not to refund a pre bought ticket right now but these are unique times.

I'm not sure that demanding refunds, cancelling subscriptions, etc. is the best way forward just now. Arbroath - and every other business - are going to take a massive hit very, very quickly. Cutting off/ withdrawing what little cash they've got just now will only exacerbate the problem. 

Also, a lot of businesses may well be technically insolvent now and shouldn't be refunding anybody in that case. If you can afford it you might want to keep paying to local clubs so that they still exist in the other side of this (subscriptions etc. I'm not suggesting people keep buying tickets for non-existent games).

Easy for me to say. I'll probably take a different view in a couple of weeks when my own business goes tits up.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'm not sure that demanding refunds, cancelling subscriptions, etc. is the best way forward just now. Arbroath - and every other business - are going to take a massive hit very, very quickly. Cutting off/ withdrawing what little cash they've got just now will only exacerbate the problem. 

Also, a lot of businesses may well be technically insolvent now and shouldn't be refunding anybody in that case. If you can afford it you might want to keep paying to local clubs so that they still exist in the other side of this (subscriptions etc. I'm not suggesting people keep buying tickets for non-existent games).

Easy for me to say. I'll probably take a different view in a couple of weeks when my own business goes tits up.

You're totally correct. 

Unfortunately there are some who still don't grasp the realities of the situation the country, the world, finds itself in, so irrelevant questions and posts attempting to trivialise things will still be the order of the day for them.

Sad. 

15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

They appear to have 'millions', perhaps they don't have it 'at their disposal'. If not, in these circumstances, I'd ask why?

SFA companies house.jpg

They've literally just concluded a deal to buy Hampden, and they did actually distribute £1.5m of funding to clubs earlier this week.

The SFA's deal to buy Hampden was reported as being worth "significantly less" than £5 million and perhaps as little as £2m.  If it's true that they still have north of £15 million in the bank after buying the stadium at a time when almost every senior club in the country is facing bankruptcy within months due to an unprecedented global crisis, then the decent and sensible thing to do would be to distribute most of that pile.

2 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

You're totally correct. 

Unfortunately there are some who still don't grasp the realities of the situation the country, the world, finds itself in, so irrelevant questions and posts attempting to trivialise things will still be the order of the day for them.

Sad. 

In fairness to @Dele he probably was having a pop at United without realising that the money would have been Arbroath’s.

As I’ve posted elsewhere I have bought my ticket for the Arbroath game and they’re welcome to keep it regardless of what happens.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In fairness to @Dele he probably was having a pop at United without realising that the money would have been Arbroath’s.

As I’ve posted elsewhere I have bought my ticket for the Arbroath game and they’re welcome to keep it regardless of what happens.

:lol:

I wasn't having a pop at anybody. Folk making out like the clubs 'need' this money. So do the folk that have paid it. 

28 minutes ago, Dele said:

:lol:

I wasn't having a pop at anybody. Folk making out like the clubs 'need' this money. So do the folk that have paid it. 

I was only joking (well half joking), I hope you are doing OK in these troubled times.

On 16/03/2020 at 21:20, rainbowrising said:

Rangers apparently want the games played in open stadiums and wont accept behind closed doors. They arent really getting this virus thing it would appear.

Ibrox is full of fucking Rangers fans every other week. What's a bit of novel coronavirus?

The remaining fixtures should be fulfilled with live streamed games of FIFA complete with fan nominated forfeits and apology letters to their opponent if they get gubbed 5-0 or worse.

See how the league tables look after that.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They've literally just concluded a deal to buy Hampden, and they did actually distribute £1.5m of funding to clubs earlier this week.

They have a lot of cash stored, it appears. What did they pay for Hampden, do you know? 

The £1.5 million is hardly going to help the clubs when it's broken down.

Maybe the crisis will be a shove towards the two bodies combining and streamlining operations and costs. There are too many involved in the SFA taking advantage of expenses. That might stop for some if they haven't got a club which they may claim to represent.

51 minutes ago, The Master said:

Are football clubs eligible for the job retention scheme just announced? That could basically be the difference between clubs staying afloat and going bust. 

Good angle: hopefully the football authorities would support this, rather than try to apply some registration doublespeak to confuse the situation. 

Would clubs have to apply to the SFA to clarify that they can use a furloughed employment status? I can't think why not.

You Dundee fans are quite a sensible lot, I'm beginning to realise. Well, some of you.

9 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

The SFA's deal to buy Hampden was reported as being worth "significantly less" than £5 million and perhaps as little as £2m.  If it's true that they still have north of £15 million in the bank after buying the stadium at a time when almost every senior club in the country is facing bankruptcy within months due to an unprecedented global crisis, then the decent and sensible thing to do would be to distribute most of that pile.

How long would that delay the inevitable? I also thought there was inherited debt came with Hampden, they'll have that to pay.

On 20/03/2020 at 17:15, The Master said:

Are football clubs eligible for the job retention scheme just announced? That could basically be the difference between clubs staying afloat and going bust. 

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be. Although the "up to maximum of £2,500" per month will limit the amount of cover it will give the big clubs. It equates to a weekly wage of about £720.

It will almost certainly keep lower division clubs in business though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter