Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

14 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I have already said that we probably will be relegated irrespective of the decision by the SPFL. However, I see that the EFL have decided to complete the season and plenty of pundits think the English premiership should be completed too.

The EFL have decided nothing of the sort: it's a statement of intent in the event of public restrictions being lifted early in the summer. If that doesn't happen then they'll be forced to rethink this entirely.

This is an unprecedented situation and anything that football authorities say right now has to be taken with a shovel of salt. Hopefully the SPFL doesn't follow the English example as per fucking usual in providing useless statements on a 24/7 basis just to feed the media.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Let me get this straight: fans of clubs in the top 4 of their league want reconstruction, and fans of clubs in 5th and 6th place don't? 

I'm in favour of league reconstruction in principle: the second tier right now is both a financial disaster for most clubs within it while not even offering quality football in return for that outlay. It has been a disaster waiting to happen before this crisis and the virus would only be the thing that finishes it off. But any reconstruction needs to be carefully thought out and judged to be in the best interests of the vast majority of SPFL clubs in the medium to long term. It should not be done on the back of a fag packet just to stave off some ridiculous set of legal challenges from clubs who can't handle getting relegated: this isn't Italy.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Big Shedboy said:

So letting shite teams off the hook is fairer than rewarding teams who've gained positive results over approx three quarters of a season?

Ground breaking news : ALL teams in this league are shite. Could argue Celtic are decent and every other team in Scotland are shite. Don’t get above yer station laddie. 

2 hours ago, Dele said:

Maybe we should take clubs spending into it too, in that case? 

Should frugal teams be punished due to other teams massively overspending to achieve positive results? 

Have you recently come out of a coma, or just got a massive brass neck on you?

3 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

If mid week was brought in they may as well give it to Celtic. That intense run of games over January to March indicated that Rangers cant go the distance in those circumstances. 

What's the Scottish Championship got to do with that pair?

No team should be given any awards, or relegated, if the season hasn't been completed properly, imo. Attempt to conclude the programme when possible, and as the health situation develops, make decisions on the format for season 2020-21.

More alarming is the lack of financial support forthcoming from the two football organisations in Scotland. 

4 hours ago, RiG said:

I see on Twitter that Morton are asking for fans to donate to the club to help them out. I suspect others will be coming forward imminently with similar appeals.

I can see that happening.

But first you would think the SFA would help out as they have millions at their disposal and last year the SFPL paid out £25 million in prize money to member clubs so there must be a similar pot available now, then we have the government promising money to businesses.

I'm not saying that they two governing bodies pay out all of that sums but they could financially assist those clubs in desperate need, clubs with wealthy benefactors who have deep pockets would obviously be at the back of the queue.

Obviously it would mean a diluted amount of prize money to award eventually but it would keep some clubs afloat.

What is the problem with completing this season and truncating next to try and get back on track. Countries are going to come out of the Corona virus at different times. The UK is a bit behind the rest of Europe, so trying to shoehorn every league into a predetermined timescale is really flawed. Time for the authorities to start thinking logically.

38 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

What is the problem with completing this season and truncating next to try and get back on track. 

The primadonna’s nowadays would be dropping like flies with constant midweek games moaning about being overworked, fatigued, pish like sport science guys saying individual players were for instance at 60% at risk of injury. Not built like they used to be! 

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

What's the Scottish Championship got to do with that pair?

No team should be given any awards, or relegated, if the season hasn't been completed properly, imo. Attempt to conclude the programme when possible, and as the health situation develops, make decisions on the format for season 2020-21.

More alarming is the lack of financial support forthcoming from the two football organisations in Scotland. 

A bit of support would be nice but do said two organisations have any resources that they could distribute?

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I can see that happening.

But first you would think the SFA would help out as they have millions at their disposal and last year the SFPL paid out £25 million in prize money to member clubs so there must be a similar pot available now, then we have the government promising money to businesses.

I'm not saying that they two governing bodies pay out all of that sums but they could financially assist those clubs in desperate need, clubs with wealthy benefactors who have deep pockets would obviously be at the back of the queue.

Obviously it would mean a diluted amount of prize money to award eventually but it would keep some clubs afloat.

I don't think the SFA do "have millions at their disposal". They used a lot of their reserves last year and they get most of their funding from UEFA who themselves make most of their money from tv deals and European Championships which have been postponed. The idea that the SFA is a major cash cow is a fallacy.

The SPFL pay out prize money from their tv contracts based on final positions but they pay about 40 % of that out during the season and have already paid most of that out. The balance can only be paid if they have it. It's unclear whether the tv companies have paid in full and it's unclear whether they will demand repayment if the season is incomplete. The League cannot simply throw the money they do have at clubs at the moment. The Govt money is all well and good but £25k isn't going to go all that far in a full time football club.

And good luck in trying to "means test" club ownership before deciding who gets help. That's completely impractical.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

A bit of support would be nice but do said two organisations have any resources that they could distribute?

SFA are not as well off as they would be if they slimmed down the committees and expenses of same, and also if they had appointed competent individuals to aid qualification for major tournaments, but they are still sitting on millions, as far as I can understand from their most recent accounts.

The SPFL do not appear to be cash rich, and claim to re-distribute almost all income directly back to the clubs.

4 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Correct, six months down the line, and it will still be the same headline.

Guy I work with told me last week that he got 3 tickets for United Arbroath when they first come out. His daughter tried last Wednesday (maybe Thursday) to get a refund but was refused due to it not officially being cancelled. The news had just broke that the season was on hold so she thought fair enough. 

Anyway; he's went up for a refund yesterday and was told neither he, nor anyone else is getting one until the game is rescheduled and then they can get one. 

Surely that's not on? 

Are all clubs doing this with pre bought match tickets? 

Edited by Dele