Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

15 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

There is less of an argument to promote Raith automatically as they are only a couple of points ahead.

No - you either accept the principle that the team currently top of the table has done enough to be awarded the prize or you don't. There's no magical cut-off point to this logical argument. And by the same token then, you must accept that the team that is bottom of the table has done enough to be punished according to the standard procedure of relegation.

The overriding principle should be not to penalise anybody for not getting the chance to survive or advance.

They've had both chances over three-quarters of a league campaign and they haven't done enough. Which is more than sufficient grounds to call the league standings as they are, in the unfortunate but quite likely event that we can't play any football this side of June 30.

I think the only fair way is to complete the season even if that means completing it with different squads.

Fair isn't actually a black or white position here though: we're probably going to have to choose the fairest solution from a set of less than ideal scenarios to conclude the campaign. Some clubs will be worse off than they could have been under a different solution but that's just tough. If there's no chance of football being resumed before June 30 then your preferred option (as it would be mine for the next six weeks) will be off the table regardless: the chances of the league resuming to complete all its outstanding fixtures in August, November, even January 2021 are minimal.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

They've had both chances over three-quarters of a league campaign and they haven't done enough. Which is more than sufficient grounds to call the league standings as they are, in the unfortunate but quite likely event that we can't play any football this side of June 30.

I'm surprised you aren't backing up your argument by quoting the obvious precedent here of the result standing when a game is abandoned after 75 minutes.......     Care to comment?  HMMM??  🤪

16 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

I'm surprised you aren't backing up your argument by quoting the obvious precedent here of the result standing when a game is abandoned after 75 minutes.......     Care to comment?  HMMM??  🤪

It did when Blackpool fans invaded the pitch in 2015 after just 48 minutes.  

Nothing to do with the current predicament we find ourselves in now, though.   

41 minutes ago, virginton said:

35 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Actually Rudi, Ayr United were awarded a 1-0 win over Airdrieonians when the fixture in April 2002 was abandoned after 21 minutes.

5 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Actually Rudi, Ayr United were awarded a 1-0 win over Airdrieonians when the fixture in April 2002 was abandoned after 21 minutes.

Because the result mattered not one jot fundamentally and the toxic atmosphere between the two clubs made replaying it massively problematic. The fact remains the rule in this country is and always has been that incomplete games are replayed from the start. There is the infamous case of Denis Law scoring 6 goals for Manchester City in a cup tie with Luton which was abandoned with City leading 6-2 in the 69th minute. They lost 3-1 when it was rearranged.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Because the result mattered not one jot fundamentally and the toxic atmosphere between the two clubs made replaying it massively problematic. The fact remains the rule in this country is and always has been that incomplete games are replayed from the start. There is the infamous case of Denis Law scoring 6 goals for Manchester City in a cup tie with Luton which was abandoned with City leading 6-2 in the 69th minute. They lost 3-1 when it was rearranged.

The fact that Airdrieonians went boom after it didn't help either, however we are only dealing in facts here. The game was awarded to Ayr despite there only being 21 minutes played. 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

That's been 24 (twenty four) hours now wee Rudi has been pulling at Viking's coat tails trying to get an answer. 

Absolute mental case. 

😅😅😅 If you really think I'm expecting any answer from him then you're as thick as I've always thought you are. 

Thanx for the confirmation. 👍

7 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

😅😅😅 If you really think I'm expecting any answer from him then you're as thick as I've always thought you are. .

You should probably stop quoting his every reply or every quote somebody mentions him in in that case, Rudi.

You look like a jilted lover. 

Fair isn't actually a black or white position here though: we're probably going to have to choose the fairest solution from a set of less than ideal scenarios to conclude the campaign. Some clubs will be worse off than they could have been under a different solution but that's just tough. If there's no chance of football being resumed before June 30 then your preferred option (as it would be mine for the next six weeks) will be off the table regardless: the chances of the league resuming to complete all its outstanding fixtures in August, November, even January 2021 are minimal.

I have no doubt that the decision to end the season where it is will be the one taken.

But from my post isn’t it obvious that I don’t accept the principle that the top team at the moment should be promoted ?

My idea of the fairest way is to complete the season, no matter how long it takes. Next season can be adjusted to suit.

For me the next fairest would probably be to void the season - but I am not sure what that means with prize money

12 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I have no doubt that the decision to end the season where it is will be the one taken.

But from my post isn’t it obvious that I don’t accept the principle that the top team at the moment should be promoted ?

My idea of the fairest way is to complete the season, no matter how long it takes. Next season can be adjusted to suit.

For me the next fairest would probably be to void the season - but I am not sure what that means with prize money

What prize money?

1 minute ago, Robbo63 said:

The 75% that sponsors and Tv companies have already paid to the SFA/SPFL for the season to date , led to believe they pay in 4 instalments after each 1/4 

The money you are refering to may well be directed towards all clubs to help them out financially. 

Titles, promotions and relegations are really of secondary importance right now. 

Would I prefer that Thistle are playing at the level, if not standard, that we currently are when football restarts? 

Of course I do but if we are not then we're not. I've coped with Thistle in the third tier. If need be I'll do so again. 

The important things is that all clubs (well maybe minus two) come through this if not exactly unscathed then at least as going concerns. 

I can't see how every club will survive this. Certainly I imagine that us fans will have to dig deep, where we can, to ensure our club's continued existence. That may well alter the relationship between clubs and their fans forever. That will just mirror the huge societal changes that are coming. We can't leave it to the free market to solve everything from now on. 

24 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

The 75% that sponsors and Tv companies have already paid to the SFA/SPFL for the season to date , led to believe they pay in 4 instalments after each 1/4 

..................... less the £119,000 each that each Championship club has already had might not leave an awful lot before we talk about whether there might be any refund due for games not yet taken place, etc.

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

Titles, promotions and relegations are really of secondary importance right now. 

Would I prefer that Thistle are playing at the level, if not standard, that we currently are when football restarts? 

Of course I do but if we are not then we're not. I've coped with Thistle in the third tier. If need be I'll do so again. 

The important things is that all clubs (well maybe minus two) come through this if not exactly unscathed then at least as going concerns. 

I can't see how every club will survive this. Certainly I imagine that us fans will have to dig deep, where we can, to ensure our club's continued existence. That may well alter the relationship between clubs and their fans forever. That will just mirror the huge societal changes that are coming. We can't leave it to the free market to solve everything from now on. 

F*ck all to do with your post but...

https://www.lyricsondemand.com/u/unknownlyrics/johnmacleanmarchlyrics.html

Can’t hear this without it bringing tears to my eyes.

I've seen a couple of posts stating that cancelling the season is the fairest option if the games can't be played. 

I'm struggling to see how that's any fairer than awarding the prizes on current standings. Both have winners and losers...at least current standings are based on merit.

I've seen a couple of posts stating that cancelling the season is the fairest option if the games can't be played. 
I'm struggling to see how that's any fairer than awarding the prizes on current standings. Both have winners and losers...at least current standings are based on merit.

Currently not every team has played the same number of games. They haven’t played the same number of home and away and they have played all the teams the same number of time. That’s why using current standings isn’t fairer.