Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

2 hours ago, virginton said:

If the referee decides to abandon the game after 75 minutes though then the result stands. Whether you were 1-0 down or 5-0 down at the time is irrelevant: you still lost. You don’t get a second chance to play out the last fifteen minutes because you got promised ninety minutes before kickoff.

In an unprecedented scenario like this the SPFL is entitled to call the season and impose promotion and relegation however it chooses and without playing out 36 scheduled matches. Those were indeed the rules that you signed up for, so you can get doon as well.

Lolwut

Your first paragraph is just nonsense, and it has absolutely no relevance to the current scenario. In terms of scale it's like comparing one apple to Europe's entire annual production of oranges. 

There are only three relevant words in your second para: "whatever it chooses". The SPFL  can indeed do whatever it chooses in this unprecedented situation, and you don't know what that'll be anymore than they do right now. Those three words apart, your post is the usual mouth-on-a-stick waffle designed to wind folk up. Pipe doon. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm sure that 99% of people would also like to have the season completed in full: and the SPFL certainly doesn't need to make a call on that anytime in the near future. If the crisis steadily improves and we can start playing again at the start of May then that's great. But we have to be realistic and expect this to be unlikely to happen. So we need a set of back-up plans and work out which ones are best at any given time.

What should happen, for example, if football can only resume at the start of June? Is it really feasible to hold eight league rounds, plus three play-off rounds in the Championship, as well as two Scottish Cup rounds at that point? The knock-on effects for 2020-21 become significant for what will - for most clubs - become dead rubber fixtures after a fortnight. More importantly, player contracts (as well as insurance to cover serious injuries AFAIK) would expire and its also likely that UEFA will expect European qualification to be determined very quickly after any football resumes. For me, the Plan B in that scenario should be to move straight to the post-split matches in the top flight and to the play-offs in the lower leagues. As for the lower leagues, you could maybe throw a bone to the bottom-placed sides by adding them and the 5th placed team from the division below into the play-offs as well, but I haven't given any thought as to how that system would then work tbh. Perhaps a mini-league with the top two from six playing at the higher level next season.

If you can't play any football at all before June 30th then you probably have to call the leagues as they are either right now or after 27 games in the lower league: and that has to operate at both ends of the table. It simply doesn't make any logical sense to argue that Celtic, Dundee United and Raith should be considered league winners (and gain promotion) but Hearts, Partick and Stranraer can't be relegated. Either voiding the leagues or simply moving teams up and not down to not annoy people would be really stupid solutions IMO, but they're also on the table.

See?  You CAN be sensible without being a wind-up merchant if you try. 👍

1 minute ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Lolwut

Your first paragraph is just nonsense, and it has absolutely no relevance to the current scenario. In terms of scale it's like comparing one apple to Europe's entire annual production of oranges. 

There are only three relevant words in your second para: "whatever it chooses". The SPFL  can indeed do whatever it chooses in this unprecedented situation, and you don't know what that'll be anymore than they do right now. Those three words apart, your post is the usual mouth-on-a-stick waffle designed to wind folk up. Pipe doon. 

Back into isolation you go, you stupid old jakey.

Image result for old man close door

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Back into isolation you go, you stupid old jakey.

Image result for old man close door

That's an interesting choice of GIF from someone who thinks that the result stands in a game abandoned after 75 minutes. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

If the referee decides to abandon the game after 75 minutes though then the result stands. Whether you were 1-0 down or 5-0 down at the time is irrelevant: you still lost. You don’t get a second chance to play out the last fifteen minutes because you got promised ninety minutes before kickoff.

Image result for morrissey gif

After that ridiculously foolish nonsense about abandoned matches counting as valid results, the consensus on here appears to be that vt has made a rip-roaring c**t of himself. Again. 

Nice one, Methadone Mick * ! 

* -  I've seen the photo!  😄😄😄

After that ridiculously foolish nonsense about abandoned matches counting as valid results, the consensus on here appears to be that vt has made a rip-roaring c**t of himself. Again. 
Nice one, Methadone Mick * ! 

* -  I've seen the photo!  [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]
You should have signed off with

Thanks for playing.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Did you just decide to make up rules to suit yourself here VT? That is not and never has been the case in Scotland (or anywhere else in the UK as far as I know).

It is an absolute minefield with every club looking out for themselves. To minimise the potential for legal action I would suggest the following restructuring which has been the subject of discussion between the clubs anyway :
No relegation from Premiership and promote Dundee United and Inverness. 14 team league which splits into 2x7 after 26 games. Teams then play each other home and away for another 12 games. Total 38 games as it is just now, TV gets their 4 Old Firm games and they don’t lose Hearts who, from a revenue point of view, would be a loss to the top league. This may result, of course, in teams at the foot of the top 7 and at the top of the bottom 7 finding themselves in relative safety at an early stage - but what an opportunity to develop promising youngsters.
Championship - remaining 8 teams plus Raith and Falkirk from League 1. Existing teams, particularly Dunfermline, would welcome the extra revenue and no relegation would save Partick.
League 1 - remaining 8 teams plus Cove Rangers and Edinburgh City. Stranraer would vote for it as they would not be relegated. League 2 sides would be delighted as they would get rid of Cove who are regarded in other boardrooms as horrible people.
League 2 - remaining 8 teams plus Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers. Both are ambitious. Brora have apparently changed their stance from a few years ago when they met Montrose in the play off and they now very much want to get into the senior leagues. Brechin, who have had a sad decline, would be saved and the fans of other clubs would not be deprived of lentil soup.

Shambles

To be honest every club is looking out for its self.

Rangers are calling for the season to be played in full before anyone is awarded the title.

Dundee United will take legal action if the season is voided and they are not promoted.

Same with Raith and possibly Cove

Falkirk, ICT, Dundee would also be looking at legal options if they dont get playoffs...

Partick if they get relegated

So Hearts saying they will take legal action if they get relegated right now is no surprise to anyone.
Nil and void season let them go to court see ya

The thing is, nobody has considered just how venal and useless the SPFL is. There's every chance that they will conclude the season by filling in results drawn from a hat for the remaining games, warm balls very much included.

My other predictions:

1. At least one club will go into administration when neither the SPFL nor any governmental body provides any financial support for lost income
  2. At least one Campbell brother will die of coronavirus

8 minutes ago, Thumper said:

The thing is, nobody has considered just how venal and useless the SPFL is. There's every chance that they will conclude the season by filling in results drawn from a hat for the remaining games, warm balls very much included.

My other predictions:

1. At least one club will go into administration when neither the SPFL nor any governmental body provides any financial support for lost income
  2. At least one Campbell brother will die of coronavirus

Image result for shocked kenneth williams

2 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

I see Skyline Drifter is every bit as boring as f**k during a plague as he is during the normal football season.

Edit to add: not *wrong*.

Just BORING.

If only there was some sort of Ignore type function you could use.............................

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I think the games will be played behind closed doors in June/July. There’s talk of this social distancing lasting for 18 months.  

I’m proud that United’s defenders are leading the way  in this.

They have not got close to the opposition strikers for weeks.

8 hours ago, Dele said:

I think like may others you've got your head in the sand.

- Not at all, I'm just not one for scaremongering and cowering. If I die, I die. I'm not going to run about and cry like an idiot. Again, if you want to, that's your choice. 

Of course people die all the time, whether it's natural causes, heart attacks or cancer, thats the normal way of things in life.

But thousands are dying earlier due directly to this virus and it will continue for many months.

- Erm, thousands of people die early due to cancer and heart attacks. Just like this virus killing people off, that's just a part of life. 

Businesses are closing, thousands out of work, stock markets in free fall and a recession looming.

That's not normal by any stretch of the imagination or denial.

Name the business' that have closed down and put thousands out of work directly due to this. A recession isn't normal? Where have you been living, exactly? 

Really?