Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

17 hours ago, super_carson said:

Its the only fair-ish way that I can see as it would mean standings are based on everyone having played the same number of games, against all teams home and away. If you stop now, some teams have played more games than others or maybe have had to play, for example, Dundee Utd twice at Tannnadice.

Not everyone had played each team home and away after 18 games though. Are you rolling the table back to how many points each side had after their 18th game, or are you swapping out games between sides who‘d played each other three times at that point to have everyone playing each side twice? Assuming the latter, is it fair to just write off the third game between two teams when they’ve had one side win the first, a draw in the second and the other side win the third?

It’s a minefield. Cutting the season short would be a clusterfuck whatever way you do it and I do get the logic but rolling back to 27 would be a lot less complicated and avoid arbitrarily picking games.

It is an absolute minefield with every club looking out for themselves. To minimise the potential for legal action I would suggest the following restructuring which has been the subject of discussion between the clubs anyway :

No relegation from Premiership and promote Dundee United and Inverness. 14 team league which splits into 2x7 after 26 games. Teams then play each other home and away for another 12 games. Total 38 games as it is just now, TV gets their 4 Old Firm games and they don’t lose Hearts who, from a revenue point of view, would be a loss to the top league. This may result, of course, in teams at the foot of the top 7 and at the top of the bottom 7 finding themselves in relative safety at an early stage - but what an opportunity to develop promising youngsters.

Championship - remaining 8 teams plus Raith and Falkirk from League 1. Existing teams, particularly Dunfermline, would welcome the extra revenue and no relegation would save Partick.

League 1 - remaining 8 teams plus Cove Rangers and Edinburgh City. Stranraer would vote for it as they would not be relegated. League 2 sides would be delighted as they would get rid of Cove who are regarded in other boardrooms as horrible people.

League 2 - remaining 8 teams plus Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers. Both are ambitious. Brora have apparently changed their stance from a few years ago when they met Montrose in the play off and they now very much want to get into the senior leagues. Brechin, who have had a sad decline, would be saved and the fans of other clubs would not be deprived of lentil soup.

12 hours ago, Dele said:

I'm sorry, are you saying this in relation to Budge's comments, or just randomly throwing in strange statements to the conversation?

What I'm trying to convey is that I feel it is highly inappropriate for companies/businesses to be making threats and others demanding compensation immediately while we are on the upwards effect of this pandemic which indicates that it will be catastrophic health wise and will lead to many deaths of loved ones and citizens over the coming months and possibly years.

11 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

What I'm trying to convey is that I feel it is highly inappropriate for companies/businesses to be making threats and others demanding compensation immediately while we are on the upwards effect of this pandemic which indicates that it will be catastrophic health wise and will lead to many deaths of loved ones and citizens over the coming months and possibly years.

What threats? 

She's said if Hearts are to be relegated she will be looking to get compensation and taking it to court. 

She's looking after her own interests. Just like most other people. 

The sad facts are, people die all the time through this or somethi g else. Life goes on. If you want to cower in a corner then so be it, others are making plans beyond this. 

13 minutes ago, Dele said:

What threats? 

She's said if Hearts are to be relegated she will be looking to get compensation and taking it to court. 

The sad facts are, people die all the time through this or somethi g else. Life goes on. If you want to cower in a corner then so be it, others are making plans beyond this. 

It is at least relevant for Ann Budge to comment on behalf of her club. The latest from Jim Traynor at Ibrox, in the name of Stewart Robertson, is merely aimed at their own knuckledraggers who cannot accept that they have handed the Premiership to Celtic.

12 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Only if its completed.

Thank you.

eta well said Budge.

No because they’ve been fucking shite all season and were still fucking shite when the campaign was suspended. Indeed they just lost last midweek to the team directly above them in the table because they’re so fucking shite. So if the virus leads the authorities to stick a fork in the rest of the season then they have absolutely no grounds for complaint about being relegated.

Thanks for playing anyway.

23 minutes ago, virginton said:

No because they’ve been fucking shite all season and were still fucking shite when the campaign was suspended. Indeed they just lost last midweek to the team directly above them in the table because they’re so fucking shite. So if the virus leads the authorities to stick a fork in the rest of the season then they have absolutely no grounds for complaint about being relegated.

A football game lasts until the final whistle is blown by the referee, that's kinda the rules you sign up to. Which is why you'd be a bit miffed if it was decided you had "lost" if you were 1-0 down but only 70 minutes had been played. Kinda like deciding outcomes of seasons before all the matches have been played.

I accept that Greenock perhaps struggle with this length of season concept - see also blowing the 12 point gap in 2003-04, and blowing a similar decent points lead in 2012-13 for the Jags to romp home to the title.

Edited by milhouse

26 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's not really the case, though, is it?  The season has not been completed and none of the teams in question are even close to being mathematically down.  Hearts (and Thistle) may "deserve" to be relegated for being fucking shite in a banter sense, but the season itself obviously needs either to be finished, or voided (barring an unlikely league restructure which would be way beyond Doncaster's skillset).  Just freezing things at an arbitrary point in proceedings and saying "You're out!" like a game of musical chairs isn't good enough.  I think you know that, but I realise this is an irresistible chance for you to wind some folk up.

All the teams in question deserve the chance to be properly relegated in similar memorable style as Morton were in 2013-14.   Personally I am looking for 10+ points adrift, possibly with the bonus of a 10-goal tonking to see us off on the last day. Anything else would be unsatisfactory.

Edited by VictorOnopko

It doesn't matter how shite a team has been, if there is a mathematical chance they could win the league, be promoted or save themselves from relegation then that chance should be given, the season has to be completed for me. The only issue with re-starting the season from the current standings would be the players contracts thing.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

What threats? 

I think like may others you've got your head in the sand.

Of course people die all the time, whether it's natural causes, heart attacks or cancer, thats the normal way of things in life.

But thousands are dying earlier due directly to this virus and it will continue for many months.

Businesses are closing, thousands out of work, stock markets in free fall and a recession looming.

That's not normal by any stretch of the imagination or denial.

And Ann Budges statement, as quoted verbatim in the print and broadcast media, was that Hearts will take legal action if they are relegated prematurely. 

Thats a threat however you want to dilute it.

54 minutes ago, milhouse said:

A football game lasts until the final whistle is blown by the referee, that's kinda the rules you sign up to. Which is why you'd be a bit miffed if it was decided you had "lost" if you were 1-0 down but only 70 minutes had been played. 

If the referee decides to abandon the game after 75 minutes though then the result stands. Whether you were 1-0 down or 5-0 down at the time is irrelevant: you still lost. You don’t get a second chance to play out the last fifteen minutes because you got promised ninety minutes before kickoff.

In an unprecedented scenario like this the SPFL is entitled to call the season and impose promotion and relegation however it chooses and without playing out 36 scheduled matches. Those were indeed the rules that you signed up for, so you can get doon as well.

Edited by vikingTON

19 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I think like may others you've got your head in the sand.

- Not at all, I'm just not one for scaremongering and cowering. If I die, I die. I'm not going to run about and cry like an idiot. Again, if you want to, that's your choice. 

Of course people die all the time, whether it's natural causes, heart attacks or cancer, thats the normal way of things in life.

But thousands are dying earlier due directly to this virus and it will continue for many months.

- Erm, thousands of people die early due to cancer and heart attacks. Just like this virus killing people off, that's just a part of life. 

Businesses are closing, thousands out of work, stock markets in free fall and a recession looming.

That's not normal by any stretch of the imagination or denial.

Name the business' that have closed down and put thousands out of work directly due to this. A recession isn't normal? Where have you been living, exactly? 

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

If the referee decides to abandon the game after 75 minutes though then the result stands. Whether you were 1-0 down or 5-0 down at the time is irrelevant: you still lost.

Well the result doesn't stand. 

What happens, say if the fog comes down when you are losing 2-1 away to Cowdenbeath, is that the game is declared void and is restarted at 0-0. Sometimes the team that was losing 2-1 wins the match 3-0 when it is re-staged and canters to a league title amidst tears and snotters from darkest Inverclyde. 

54 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Well the result doesn't stand. 

What happens, say if the fog comes down when you are losing 2-1 away to Cowdenbeath, is that the game is declared void and is restarted at 0-0. Sometimes the team that was losing 2-1 wins the match 3-0 when it is re-staged and canters to a league title amidst tears and snotters from darkest Inverclyde. 

Hahahahahahahahaha

Swing and a miss. Champ.

Edited by Hammer Jag

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

It doesn't matter how shite a team has been, if there is a mathematical chance they could win the league, be promoted or save themselves from relegation then that chance should be given, the season has to be completed for me. The only issue with re-starting the season from the current standings would be the players contracts thing.

I'm sure that 99% of people would also like to have the season completed in full: and the SPFL certainly doesn't need to make a call on that anytime in the near future. If the crisis steadily improves and we can start playing again at the start of May then that's great. But we have to be realistic and expect this to be unlikely to happen. So we need a set of back-up plans and to work out which ones are preferable at any given time.

What should happen, for example, if football can only resume at the start of June? Is it really feasible to hold eight league rounds, plus three play-off rounds in the Championship, as well as two Scottish Cup rounds at that point? The knock-on effects for 2020-21 become significant for what will - for most clubs - become dead rubber fixtures after a fortnight anyway. More importantly, player contracts (as well as insurance to cover serious injuries AFAIK) would expire and its also likely that UEFA will expect European qualification to be determined very quickly after any football resumes. For me, the Plan B in that scenario should be to move straight to the post-split matches in the top flight and to the play-offs in the lower leagues. As for the teams finishing bottom in the second and third tiers, you could maybe throw a bone by adding them and the 5th placed team from the division below into the play-offs as well, but I haven't given any thought as to how that system would then work tbh. Perhaps a mini-league with the top two from six teams at the higher level next season.

If you can't play any football at all before June 30th then you probably have to call the leagues as they are either right now or after 27 games in the lower league: but that has to operate at both ends of the table. It simply doesn't make any logical sense to argue that Celtic, Dundee United and Raith should be considered league winners (and gain promotion) under those terms but Hearts, Partick and Stranraer shouldn't be relegated. Either voiding the leagues or simply moving teams up and not down to not annoy people would be really stupid solutions IMO, but they're also on the table.

Edited by vikingTON