Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, I get the scepticism for that reason (although it makes no odds to Ayr), and I'm not a fan of using interim results at any stage to be honest. For me you either finish it eventually whenever we get back to playing, even if next 'season' and with different players, or you declare it void. However, if you are going to insist on using the in play position then the point at which every club had played the same games if the fairest point at which to do that. The fact it massively benefits Queen of the South is not why I'm saying that. As I say, it wouldn't be my choice at all.

The League as it looks now will be a lot more like it will be at the end of the season than going back to halfway, how can you make a club go from 8th to 10th  from 10th to 6th  without a game played

that idea is completely and utterly laughable .

30 minutes ago, forameus said:

I guess the problem is that they just don't know.  Maybe by the end of the week we're all being told we're ALL locked down, and then as a result in a month's time we're in a good enough position for life to start to turn back to normal.  Maybe we don't get locked down and that happens anyway.  Maybe we do nothing and this hangs around all summer.  There's just so much uncertainty that how can anyone really lay down any plans?

I think that the timing will be dependent on the peak and then the slowdown after that before we can see a return to normal?

When that will be is anybody's guess.

Just now, SandyCromarty said:

I think that the timing will be dependent on the peak and then the slowdown after that before we can see a return to normal?

When that will be is anybody's guess.

Oh, don't get me wrong,  "normal" is fucking ages away.  I'd just be happy with jumping on the road to that.

14 minutes ago, forameus said:

Oh, don't get me wrong,  "normal" is fucking ages away.  I'd just be happy with jumping on the road to that.

Fact is that this virus will be with us for years, hopefully a vaccine will be introduced later this year when we will able to ignore it and get on with living.

33 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Fact is that this virus will be with us for years, hopefully a vaccine will be introduced later this year when we will able to ignore it and get on with living.

I wonder at what point they define 'zero' i.e. the numbers involved are so small that they know they have it under control apart from the occassional wee cluster that they can control.  The Plague of the 14th century is still kicking around.  People can still get it.

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

The League as it looks now will be a lot more like it will be at the end of the season than going back to halfway, how can you make a club go from 8th to 10th  from 10th to 6th  without a game played

that idea is completely and utterly laughable .

It's the last point at which everyone had played common opposition at common venues. But yes, I completely get that it's "not fair". Nothing  in this situation is and it's not really any more laughable than any other solution.

Me, I'd void the whole thing now and start again next season. I imagine Celtic and Dundee United would be a 'bit peeved' though. Cove too probably.

2 hours ago, super_carson said:

As already pointed out, it makes no odds to Ayr as we end up in largely the same place.

Its the only fair-ish way that I can see as it would mean standings are based on everyone having played the same number of games, against all teams home and away. If you stop now, some teams have played more games than others or maybe have had to play, for example, Dundee Utd twice at Tannnadice.

It's an utterly ridiculous suggestion: if you have to cut off at any point, you should do so after 27 games - three rounds of fixtures - rather than this 'scrap one third of the games already played' nonsense.

Dundee United 27 58

---------------------------

Inverness 27 42

Dundee 27 41

Ayr 27 40

----------------------------

Dunfermline 27 36

Arbroath 26 36

Morton 27 35

Queen of the South 27 28

----------------------------------

Alloa 27 28

----------------------------------

Partick 27 25

Arbroath have only played 26 but that's just tough on them: other than a small amount of prize money to get 5th it wouldn't actually have any impact on the table. Given that Scottish leagues in the past were actually designed to play 39 games without an equal balance of home and away head to heads then having a hissy fit about that minor issue should be filed in the bin as well.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

A whole lot of nothing.

wtf were you expecting at this stage?? At best we'll get something more useful after tomorrow's big conference call, but even then the situation is still developing and we're really entering the unknown here.

What the football authorities should be trying is contacting companies that are likely to be unaffected/positively impacted by the virus (such as amazon, internet companies etc), and getting them to look at sponsoring next seasons competitions and advancing the payments and distributing them to clubs. Positive PR of a big company helping Stranraer/Elgin  etc to survive the hardship. 

The worst anyone could do would be to say No....

3 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Ann Budge on the news tonight threatening to sue if the season is terminated  and Hearts are relegated.

People dying with many more to succumb to the disease over the next months.

Dear oh dear... that's pretty shocking. Stay classy Heart of Midlothian. 

Dear oh dear... that's pretty shocking. Stay classy Heart of Midlothian. 
To be honest every club is looking out for its self.

Rangers are calling for the season to be played in full before anyone is awarded the title.

Dundee United will take legal action if the season is voided and they are not promoted.

Same with Raith and possibly Cove

Falkirk, ICT, Dundee would also be looking at legal options if they dont get playoffs...

Partick if they get relegated

So Hearts saying they will take legal action if they get relegated right now is no surprise to anyone.