Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Why do fans accept that there have to be 4 Celtic v Sevco games per season for tv contracts? If so, tell the companies to GTF because that is restrictive practice. Always doubted that is in the contracts the previous SPL, and now SPFL have signed.

And if not, who's trying to con us?

Correct !

Why do fans accept that there have to be 4 Celtic v Sevco games per season for tv contracts? If so, tell the companies to GTF because that is restrictive practice. Always doubted that is in the contracts the previous SPL, and now SPFL have signed.
And if not, who's trying to con us?
Unfortunately those in charge of our game have made it one of the only selling points and utterly shit the bed when the old rangers imploded. Instead of saying the contract was for the league they actually had those kind of games as part of it.
Just waiting on what they come up with, this shower couldn't run a bath.

The press association has said that at least one Premiership club is wanting the season to be declared null and void, doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out it'll be Ann Budge, article on the BBC about it. Imagine though that happened, all hell would break loose lol

There will be two clubs at least, Hearts and Rangers, for different, but obvious reasons

7 hours ago, johnnydun said:

If you increase it to 16, (not my first choice, even though we would benefit) Sky not only would have the OF derby but, the Edinburgh derby, the Dundee derby, the (ahem) New Firm derby, the Lanarkshire derby, the Highland derby and the Ayrshire derby. I know they cream themselves over the OF but this could soften the blow.

Sky don't give a shite about most of those games. But that's not the only reason 16 has been rejected in the past. 

Celtic and Rangers demand the games against each other. Other clubs try to maximise games against them even though their away supports get smaller with tv coverage. Any reduction in home games has all club Chairmen out with Celtic and Rangers squealing like a pig.

Whether the exceptionally of this situation changes any of that, we'll soon see.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but if the season is going to be cut now then why not base league tables on the half-season results, i.e. after each club has played home and away.

Its probably the best way to get a league table that's in someway meritocratic. If a team were to fold mid-season then all results from games already played would be null as to keep things the same for teams that hadn't played them yet.

Given the gravity of the situation, but all prize money should be pooled and turned into some sort of hardship find, like the SRU are doing with the rugby clubs. Though, again, self interest would likely scupper that.

If we're tight on time to complete the season one logical option presents itself - reconvene the Tennents' Sixes. Championship clubs could put forward six a side teams and we can play all the outstanding games in one day :)

2 hours ago, super_carson said:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but if the season is going to be cut now then why not base league tables on the half-season results, i.e. after each club has played home and away.

Its probably the best way to get a league table that's in someway meritocratic. If a team were to fold mid-season then all results from games already played would be null as to keep things the same for teams that hadn't played them yet.

12 pages ago......

On 13/03/2020 at 17:31, Skyline Drifter said:

On 21st December after matchday 18:

1. Dundee Utd - 45 (+28)
-----------------------------
2. Inverness CT - 32 (+6)
3. Ayr Utd - 28 (+3)
4. Dundee - 28 (0)
----------------------------
5. Dunfermline - 25 (+5)
6. Queen of the South - 22 (-1)
7. Arbroath - 22 (-4)
8. Morton - 19 (-12)
---------------------------
9. Partick Thistle - 18 (-10)
---------------------------
10. Alloa - 14 (-15)

Queen of the South and Morton had a game in hand (which was eventually played in February and finished 2-2) but it wouldn't change anything significant. However, it would negate Alloa's good run since the turn of the year (and largely our bad one). It would however at least mean everybody had played each other once.

10 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

If so, tell the companies to GTF because that is restrictive practice.

How exactly - by cancelling subscriptions and refusing to pay the TV licence?  You can see that's not going to happen for all sorts of reasons.  And, what if the TV companies said, fine we're off and taking our paltry but essential  TV cash with us ?   Be careful what you wish for springs to mind.

2 hours ago, super_carson said:

Given the gravity of the situation, but all prize money should be pooled and turned into some sort of hardship find, like the SRU are doing with the rugby clubs. Though, again, self interest would likely scupper that.

Amazing the amount of people who have suggested this that support teams who’ve been shite since Christmas.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Once this is over the majority of clubs will not have the finances to fight legal battles

Once this is over there might be few of us left.  
If post virus I’m playing left wing for United you will know that legal challenges are well down the list of priorities.

32 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Amazing the amount of people who have suggested this that support teams who’ve been shite since Christmas.

Yeah, I get the scepticism for that reason (although it makes no odds to Ayr), and I'm not a fan of using interim results at any stage to be honest. For me you either finish it eventually whenever we get back to playing, even if next 'season' and with different players, or you declare it void. However, if you are going to insist on using the in play position then the point at which every club had played the same games if the fairest point at which to do that. The fact it massively benefits Queen of the South is not why I'm saying that. As I say, it wouldn't be my choice at all.

I see the JRG is meeting again today. Presumably they will be discussing the SG recommendation that gatherings of > 500 people should be banned for the next four months? :unsure: 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

How exactly - by cancelling subscriptions and refusing to pay the TV licence?  You can see that's not going to happen for all sorts of reasons.  And, what if the TV companies said, fine we're off and taking our paltry but essential  TV cash with us ?   Be careful what you wish for springs to mind.

I see your point, but the TV cash isn't essential to me. I couldn't give a toss about armchair fans. If the quality of the product on the park diminishes, and it's at a quite poor standard in Scotland presently, I doubt it would put many supporters who actually go to games presently off. 

I suppose the argument I would put against taking placings from back at the halfway stage of the season is that, in theory, the more games played the more ‘accurate’ the standings ‘should’ be across the season - e.g. everyone bar Arbroath has played at least 75% of their games now so gives a fairer outlook of the season than at 50% of games.

Not sure where you put a cut off in to be fair, but I guess the way I look at it is if this had happened with only 1 round of fixtures left, so basically 97% of the season completed, I would feel it would seem ridiculous to go back and base things on the halfway point?!

Adding in average points to get everyone up to the same number of games would have to be done but I think that only swaps Arbroath and Dunfermline anyway?

4 hours ago, super_carson said:

That seems very fair. I wonder what that table would look like? 

Personally, I'd like to see the governing body let Jean Vves M'Voto decide. He's a fair man and it's unlikely there would be any complaints about us being awarded the title. 

CBPB1271_3162.jpg

As already pointed out, it makes no odds to Ayr as we end up in largely the same place.

Its the only fair-ish way that I can see as it would mean standings are based on everyone having played the same number of games, against all teams home and away. If you stop now, some teams have played more games than others or maybe have had to play, for example, Dundee Utd twice at Tannnadice.

It is also far from ideal, but the whole situation is.

In an ideal world, we could finish the season but it would likely go beyond the end of players contracts and without cashflow for potentially 2 months, how could clubs sign players?

Or would anyone be game for a big game of darts to decide the winner?

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I see the JRG is meeting again today. Presumably they will be discussing the SG recommendation that gatherings of > 500 people should be banned for the next four months? :unsure: 

I guess the problem is that they just don't know.  Maybe by the end of the week we're all being told we're ALL locked down, and then as a result in a month's time we're in a good enough position for life to start to turn back to normal.  Maybe we don't get locked down and that happens anyway.  Maybe we do nothing and this hangs around all summer.  There's just so much uncertainty that how can anyone really lay down any plans?