Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

3 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

the remaining games will be played IMO , just when we were getting to grips we lose the momentum now  (Alloa)

this may not happen though, they may just award a point to each team that have played a game or two less and finish up , but obviously the teams mostly will never agree to this  ,  Falkirk EF Airdrie would pissed off the other leagues are more clear cut , brechin are effed anyway DUFC and Cove are certs as are Celtic,  L1 is the more fluid  and more of a problem ,   

As an alloa fan i would like to see it stand as is obviously,  how do PT fans and QOTS fans feel about this? 

the Scottish game will never recover properly if we cram the remainder into late summer , 

It cannot stand "as is" when everyone has not played the same number of games. That's a complete nonsense. Doesn't matter what team you support. You find a way to finish it eventually or you abandon it. I don't think any other option is reasonable.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It cannot stand "as is" when everyone has not played the same number of games. That's a complete nonsense. Doesn't matter what team you support. You find a way to finish it eventually or you abandon it. I don't think any other option is reasonable.

So you disagree with awarding a point to each teams per game in hand  ?

Exactly, if everyone was on the same amount of games then you could accept that but not when everyone has played different amounts of games.

Plus just on the news about the Premier league the aim is to catch up during June/July when the euros were supposed to be. If that isn't possible then season will be abandoned and Liverpool won't be champions. Scenes here if league gets abandoned.

29 minutes ago, RedEd said:

I would hope that the SFA and SPFL are speaking to the Scottish Government about some sort of support package. After all, the clubs are being prevented from trading fully through no fault of their own.

Aye, and every other business that will lose out will let that happen.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, and every other business that will lose out will let that happen.

They should be lobbying through their representative bodies as well. But they aren't being prevented from trading, yet.

IF there is any prize money. The tv companies don't write a cheque for their season liability on August 1st. It's paid in stage payments. Even if they had paid it in full they might very well be entitled to a large chunk of it back if games are cancelled and never broadcast.
This.

Sky are already inundated with people cancelling Sky Sports

Sky's contracts in Scotland and in England for live football are for an agreed number of games at agreed times.

Normally if something is in contract it cant be cancelled until the end of term however if there is no football coverage as was advertised to Sky's customers they can cancel that part of their package without any penalty.

You can also bet Sky won't lose out.

If they are having to cancel customers and are not taking in expected revenues they will be doing the same as their customers at looking for a reduction in payments to the associations because of no product.

They will be talking with football's governing bodies North and South of the border about less money being paid or a discount on agreed future amounts. Won't affect lower leagues in Scotland too much I wouldn't have thought but got to bite the big English teams and maybe some Scottish ones in the top league.

An added problem for financially strapped clubs.

12 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

They will be talking with football's governing bodies North and South of the border about less money being paid or a discount on agreed future amounts. Won't affect lower leagues in Scotland too much I wouldn't have thought

Wanna bet? It's a huge part of the income for smaller clubs. We all get a share of the premiership tv money.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The same reason abandoned games after 88 minutes get replayed from the start.

Whilst the British leagues use the 'abandoned games must be replayed in full' method, most leagues in Europe don't, and will resume from the point at which the game was abandoned.

I understand we're talking about Scottish football here, and if our governing body are allowed to come up with their own rules on what happens to the rest of this season, then we may well see the whole thing annulled as you've suggested. However, depending on the severity of the postponement across the continent, I wonder if there's a chance UEFA will enforce some blanket rule regarding the completion/finalisation of leagues - which of course could result in the current standings being final.

Obviously this would be disastrous for my club and I hope it doesn't happen, but it might not be as far-fetched an idea as you think.

Wanna bet? It's a huge part of the income for smaller clubs. We all get a share of the premiership tv money.
I wasn't sure how much, if any, trickled down from Sky to the lower leagues.
It is bound to hit clubs budgets, maybe not on the scale of Setenta collapsing but a lot of money.

I'm sure the English Premier League is around £10m per game. Scotland is probably about £650,000. (could be miles out, worked it out in my head).

Just now, Nightmare said:

Whilst the British leagues use the 'abandoned games must be replayed in full' method, most leagues in Europe don't, and will resume from the point at which the game was abandoned.

I understand we're talking about Scottish football here, and if our governing body are allowed to come up with their own rules on what happens to the rest of this season, then we may well see the whole thing annulled as you've suggested. However, depending on the severity of the postponement across the continent, I wonder if there's a chance UEFA will enforce some blanket rule regarding the completion/finalisation of leagues - which of course could result in the current standings being final.

Obviously this would be disastrous for my club and I hope it doesn't happen, but it might not be as far-fetched an idea as you think.

Yes, I'm aware of the different attitude in some other countries but we were talking about this one. I think it's very unlikely UEFA will introduce some blanket rule. Some countries use a different season calendar. I doubt that is realistic.

But of course, anything is possible in this unique situation.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, that's a ridiculous arbitrary notion.

Bar playing out the season, every solution is arbitrary: they can cancel three quarters of a season, one quarter of a season or find some other equally unsatisfactory solution. 

For what little it's worth, I'd have thought going back to the end of the third quarter would be the most fair solution for everyone (in the lower divisions at least, the Premiership has already given up on the notion that each team should have an equal share of home/away games against each opponent). It's not ideal and some teams will argue it's unfair but it's probably the least unfair of all the potential compromises.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Exactly this.

Pish like average points etc is a nonsense. If the season can't be completed, it has to be voided. If the season is to be completed (let's make the optimistic assumption that it can start again at the end of May), you have the difficulties of contracts with players due to expire in May, probably playing through the summer. Then a shorter break most likely until the new season begins, but likely still a fixture pile up in 20/21, unless the following can be considered:

• Bin the League Cup for a season
  • Consider binning the Petrofac (or whatever the f**k it's called now) Cup
  • No replays in the Scottish Cup
  • Bin the winter break
  • Hope like f**k the weather isn't too bad over next winter
Edited by Day of the Lords

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

On 21st December after matchday 18:

1. Dundee Utd - 45 (+28)
-----------------------------
2. Inverness CT - 32 (+6)
3. Ayr Utd - 28 (+3)