Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

37 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, DougJamie said:
Ok, thankfully we aren't in Championship but its a very valid point to so many clubs...………….. its hard to give clarity when there is none, so i think this is very hand to mouth at the moment.
Closed doors would be the worst outcome for most clubs as they have overheads but no income...…………
I don't think we will hear anything until things looked to have peaked, and with greatest, this is far bigger than Sport , so what ever, whenever clubs will need to go with it

Closed doors games can't be any worse for clubs than no games at all. At least they might be able to sell club TV subscriptions and the like.

It means paying appearance fees and bonuses at a time when clubs have had the majority of their income shut off, there's also overheads associated with playing games regardless of whether there are any fans in attendance or not.

I really can't see any obvious solutions to this, it's a clusterfuck of mega proportions.

I honestly think average points over the season is the fairest way to decide the leagues if games aren't able to be played out in terms of  the sporting aspect. 

To make it fair to the clubs financially or to lessen the blow, closed door games should have live streaming provision available to all but season ticket holders (who get free access). 

There's not going to be perfect a solution it's going to be a mess regardless. 

57 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

If the table has to stand as it currently is -- which looks more and more likely with each passing day -- that will be as close to a 'just' solution as we can possibly get in the circumstances.

Quick glance suggests that's true also for the Premiership, League 1, and League 2.

I don't think it's remotely likely to "stand as it currently is", that's inherently unfair. How can it stand when not everybody has played the same number of games?

46 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I would imagine part time players will just go on a low financial retainer.

You can imagine it all you like, however in the real world that's against the law. They have contracts and are entitled to be paid in accordance with them.

22 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I honestly think average points over the season is the fairest way to decide the leagues if games aren't able to be played out in terms of  the sporting aspect.

It has some merit but clubs still haven't played consistent opposition. You'd have to do it at the halfway point to really work and even then there might be the odd game still o/s (that Rangers v St Johnstone one for a start).

I'm bored while waiting for people in the office to finish so we can go to the pub, so here's the table based on 36 games using average points per game, rounding .5 or higher up:

1. Dundee Utd - 76 (0)
-----------------------------
2. Inverness CT - 60 (0)
3. Dundee - 55 (0)
4. Ayr Utd - 53 (0)
----------------------------
5. Arbroath - 50 (+1)
6. Dunfermline - 48 (-1)
7. Morton - 46 (0)
8. Alloa - 40 (0)
---------------------------
9. Queen of the South - 36 (0)
10. Partick Thistle - 35 (0)

So only the only change from the table as it is now is Arbroath and Dunfermline swapping places. 

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You'd have to do it at the halfway point to really work

Aye, well I'm not doing that one...

Is it actually possible anyway? Do the fixtures work out such that after game 18 (in the Championship) everyone has played each other twice?

Edited by The Master

6 minutes ago, The Master said:

Aye, well I'm not doing that one...

On 21st December after matchday 18:

1. Dundee Utd - 45 (+28)
-----------------------------
2. Inverness CT - 32 (+6)
3. Ayr Utd - 28 (+3)
4. Dundee - 28 (0)
----------------------------
5. Dunfermline - 25 (+5)
6. Queen of the South - 22 (-1)
7. Arbroath - 22 (-4)
8. Morton - 19 (-12)
9. Partick Thistle - 18 (-10)
10. Alloa - 14 (-15)

Queen of the South and Morton had a game in hand (which was eventually played in February and finished 2-2) but it wouldn't change anything significant. However, it would negate Alloa's good run since the turn of the year (and largely our bad one). It would however at least mean everybody had played each other once.

11 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

There is the whole prize money aspect to work out too... What a mess emoji30.png

IF there is any prize money. The tv companies don't write a cheque for their season liability on August 1st. It's paid in stage payments. Even if they had paid it in full they might very well be entitled to a large chunk of it back if games are cancelled and never broadcast.

I think this has happened to late in the season to be able to come up with a solution to get the season finished once this starts dropping.

If this had been November/December when it all kicked off it wouldn't be such an issue

My suggestion would be as follows...

Postpone everything just now, and play the remaining 2019/20 fixtures in August/September. Finish with the playoffs & cup final at the end of September.

Open the transfer window before the playoffs start, with the proviso that new signings cannot play until October

Start the 2020/21 season in October, but only play each other team twice instead of 4 times i.e. an 18 game season (22 in Premier League). If that leaves some free weeks, make the group stages in the league cup home and away.

These steps only leave 2 problems: Rangers v Leverkausen (and the unlikely event that Rangers progress) and European Qualification for next season.

For Europe, I would propose closed-door playoffs between the top 6 premiership clubs live on TV.  6th would go to 5th for a winner takes all game. The winner would go to 4th and so on.

Is this all too sensible?

the remaining games will be played IMO , just when we were getting to grips we lose the momentum now  (Alloa)

this may not happen though, they may just award a point to each team that have played a game or two less and finish up , but obviously the teams mostly will never agree to this  ,  Falkirk EF Airdrie would pissed off the other leagues are more clear cut , brechin are effed anyway DUFC and Cove are certs as are Celtic,  L1 is the more fluid  and more of a problem ,   

As an alloa fan i would like to see it stand as is obviously,  how do PT fans and QOTS fans feel about this? 

the Scottish game will never recover properly if we cram the remainder into late summer ,