Season over

8 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Contracts expire 30th June.  There's upto 8 new clubs applying. It simply isn't practical to continue this season indefinitely and writing off next season.

Looking at the figues above you're looking at 9-10 weeks to completely finish the league season, scrapping cups. That is in addition to 3 or 4 weeks "pre-season". So maybe 3-4 months to complete the league season (not taking into account the weather).

Clubs need to start sorting player contracts and budgets for next season, and start raising revenue from ST sales and other ventures.

Players and coaches will also be wanting to go on holiday once the travel restrictions make it practical, as will referees and committee.

The PM said today they they hope to see the "tide turning" (ie the peak in cases heading downwards) in 12 weeks, that's mid June and that's just for things to begin to start looking better.

IMO we need to accept this season will not finish, and declare that on resumption of football (whenever that is) it will be 2020-2021.  Let's say by some miracle we can start pre-season end of June and start playing mid July, great, ease clubs gently back into the new season allowing for holidays etc. and get the new clubs on board. 

However I think that is excepionally optimistic. Ian Maxwell doesn't think Scotland will be playing Israel in June.

What's important is that a solution for the SPFL isn't neccesarily the best for anyone else, a solution for the LL may not be best for the EoS.  EoS need to do what is best for their members.

Maybe the EoS should come up with 2 or 3 scenarios and ballot the clubs.

For some, this season was effectively declared null and void anyway, as per the last vote.

Maybe time to rethink conferences. If you are going to promote based on current positions then why not scrap conferences and get a 1st division in?

For me though the fairest outcome is to scrap tbe season, no promotion or relegation and start again next year, as we were for the start of this season.

For some, this season was effectively declared null and void anyway, as per the last vote.

I think the season really needs to be considered void for the host of reasons surrounding player contracts and other circumstances as outlined in a number of posts above, and I also think that the point being made by Che Dail is hugely pertinent - for quite a few clubs the competitiveness of the season was all but voided anyway when a decision to continue with conferences into season 2020/21 was made.

Edited by Black & Red Socks

Some news just out;

"Policies to limit the spread of coronavirus would need to be in place for "at least most of a year" to prevent intensive care units being overwhelmed, according to official scientific advice to the government."

As I said earlier, trying to get next season off the ground may be difficult let alone finish this one.

Some news just out;
"Policies to limit the spread of coronavirus would need to be in place for "at least most of a year" to prevent intensive care units being overwhelmed, according to official scientific advice to the government."
As I said earlier, trying to get next season off the ground may be difficult let alone finish this one.
Might be we're on pause to this time next year where we finish out this season! [emoji44][emoji44]

Worth saying, with attendances below 500, there's no actual advice for us not to be playing right now. We may dip in and out of restrictions over the next 12-18 months and we might need to learn to live with that unpredictability. 

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 15.48.32.png

Arent we being encouraged not to attend social gatherings by the government?

Worth saying, with attendances below 500, there's no actual advice for us not to be playing right now. We may dip in and out of restrictions over the next 12-18 months and we might need to learn to live with that unpredictability. 
1350736037_Screenshot2020-03-20at15_48_32.thumb.png.ee7f043edd2640b6722545c018ed59cb.png

Now there's actual advice for us not to be playing.
The advice from last week was for everyone to limit any and all unnessecary social gatherings and contact (football is unnessecary social contact).

The only thing that's changed is the government has made it mandatory for pubs and clubs to shut. (Forcing those who chose not to follow the advice to stop it)

The advice was there, some chose not to accept it, which is why cases have pretty much doubled.

I never imagined for a moment that where I lived would ever be this relevant on PnB, but I have lived in Shanghai for the past 15 years. This whole virus situation is a shitshow for everyone everywhere, but regardless of anything else the social distancing approach seems to have been effective in China. I spent basically a month living at home with the mrs and four year old wee girl, only going out a couple of times a week to get essentials. It wasn't so bad. Managed to avoid going bananas and restricted myself to two beers a night max. Besides I was free to come and go as I please, but the streets were pretty deserted which was freaky in a city of 25 million people. In other words, everyone was taking it seriously. From what I can see back home, folk haven't come to terms with it all yet.

I really strongly recommend everyone on here follows official instructions. We're in uncharted waters and everyone needs to take it seriously.

Things are slowly returning to normal here but the schools aren't back yet, pubs and clubs still mostly shut, cinemas and other public entertainment the same. They're talking about starting up the Chinese Super League in April (was meant to start end of Feb) but I think its a bit optimistic. Most likely will be played behind closed doors if so. And that would be a full two months behind schedule at the earliest.

So to compare this with what I know what's happening in Scotland, and considering it looks to me as if they are going to struggle to contain the spread, I wouldn't expect any football to be played before the end of May. And that's an optimistic prediction. I really hope I am wrong. 

Anyway, although I don't comment on here prolifically I do read most days and feel some familiarity with some of the names on here. I hope everyone is alright. This won't last forever.

I never imagined for a moment that where I lived would ever be this relevant on PnB, but I have lived in Shanghai for the past 15 years. This whole virus situation is a shitshow for everyone everywhere, but regardless of anything else the social distancing approach seems to have been effective in China. I spent basically a month living at home with the mrs and four year old wee girl, only going out a couple of times a week to get essentials. It wasn't so bad. Managed to avoid going bananas and restricted myself to two beers a night max. Besides I was free to come and go as I please, but the streets were pretty deserted which was freaky in a city of 25 million people. In other words, everyone was taking it seriously. From what I can see back home, folk haven't come to terms with it all yet.
I really strongly recommend everyone on here follows official instructions. We're in uncharted waters and everyone needs to take it seriously.
Things are slowly returning to normal here but the schools aren't back yet, pubs and clubs still mostly shut, cinemas and other public entertainment the same. They're talking about starting up the Chinese Super League in April (was meant to start end of Feb) but I think its a bit optimistic. Most likely will be played behind closed doors if so. And that would be a full two months behind schedule at the earliest.
So to compare this with what I know what's happening in Scotland, and considering it looks to me as if they are going to struggle to contain the spread, I wouldn't expect any football to be played before the end of May. And that's an optimistic prediction. I really hope I am wrong. 
Anyway, although I don't comment on here prolifically I do read most days and feel some familiarity with some of the names on here. I hope everyone is alright. This won't last forever.

Take care of yourself and the family, looks like you've done a top job so far. Hopefully there's no rebound in the virus over there, some things are way more important than fitba.

I'd like to see the SPFL go 14-14-16.

Dundee Utd and ICT go upto Premiership, top 6  in League One into Championship, everyone else plus Kelty and Brora into L1.  Nobody penalised.

LL are then down to 15, no relegation, promote Bo'ness and Threave (if they want it) and open up applications for 18th place (or second EoS club?). Allows then to relegate 2 clubs next season.

EoS Premier potentially down to 14, promote Tynecastle, LTHV, Leith and Dunipace  (the only 4 clubs with realistic chances of promotion) and run with 18 for a season. Drop a cup or two to accomodate.

Below that, Conferences as has been agreed or First/Second.

Not perfect by any means, but a way forward where there's fewer clubs losing out, and the SPFL gets much needed reform.

Edited by Burnie_man

1 minute ago, boheesian said:

A bit more clear cut than our league though. So has a precedent been set?

Doubt it.  Brora way ahead of everyone else, unlikely to be caught, and maybe the others are not fussed at the chance (albeit very unlikely) of an SPFL play-off.

Dundee Utd and ICT go upto Premiership, top 6  in League One into Championship, everyone else plus Kelty and Brora into L1.  Nobody penalised.

2 or 3 clubs who would have been in Tier 3 under the current structure, and so at least two seasons away from possible relegation out of the SPFL, would be in the bottom tier under this structure, and so just one season away from relegation, so definitely penalised

2 or 3 clubs who would have been in Tier 3 under the current structure, and so at least two seasons away from possible relegation out of the SPFL, would be in the bottom tier under this structure, and so just one season away from relegation, so definitely penalised
Nobody is really badly penalised this season. If subsequently next season you can't stay off the bottom of a 16 team league well, nobody else to blame.

Whatever happens, someone, somewhere won't be happy.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

LL are then down to 15, no relegation, promote Bo'ness and Threave (if they want it) and open up applications for 18th place (or second EoS club?). Allows then to relegate 2 clubs next season.

EoS Premier potentially down to 14, promote Tynecastle, LTHV, Leith and Dunipace  (the only 4 clubs with realistic chances of promotion) and run with 18 for a season. Drop a cup or two to accomodate.

Below that, Conferences as has been agreed or First/Second.

Not perfect by any means, but a way forward where there's fewer clubs losing out, and the SPFL gets much needed reform.

Why not swifts from conf B? 2nd by 4 points with a game in hand. Bit disrespectful...