Season over

10 hours ago, lithgierose said:

Couldn't pick a winner then. And can't this time. Still to many games to play, with many outcomes to be decided. (all leagues) 

There's a pretty big difference between playing less than one-seventh of a season and playing between half and two-thirds in the EoS, or more higher up. Three of the four SPFL divisions were clearly going to be won by the club at the top.

Most of the options have their pros and cons, but I wouldn't compare any of this with 1939-40, it's a completely different set of circumstances - the main ones being it was possible to keep playing football then, and it was only September. It's just not relevant in any way.

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

There's a pretty big difference between playing less than one-seventh of a season and playing between half and two-thirds in the EoS, or more higher up. Three of the four SPFL divisions were clearly going to be won by the club at the top.

Most of the options have their pros and cons, but I wouldn't compare any of this with 1939-40, it's a completely different set of circumstances - the main ones being it was possible to keep playing football then, and it was only September. It's just not relevant in any way.

Null and void

11 hours ago, lithgierose said:

Em, no I wouldn't. So what you are saying. From the sfa right down. They have handled this right? Null and void or finish this season when possible. They could shorten next season if done away with league Cup. 

So your saying Liverpool should not win the title, Celtic shouldn’t win the title, Dundee Utd shouldn’t win the title and so on and so on!  All these teams would never have been caught 

you can’t just null and void a season, you crazy?? What about sponsors/tv companies wanting monies back and then voiding contracts with associations,  what about player and clubs  fines being refunded to clubs, what about prize monies can’t be divided up, my point is a whole lot of clubs would go bust and out the game as well as a lot of associations if null and voided. Any the above is only a percentage of a list of other things that would come into question , season tickets, qualification for future cups etc etc ! Deluded man ! 

1 hour ago, buloyal said:

So your saying Liverpool should not win the title, Celtic shouldn’t win the title, Dundee Utd shouldn’t win the title and so on and so on!  All these teams would never have been caught 

you can’t just null and void a season, you crazy?? What about sponsors/tv companies wanting monies back and then voiding contracts with associations,  what about player and clubs  fines being refunded to clubs, what about prize monies can’t be divided up, my point is a whole lot of clubs would go bust and out the game as well as a lot of associations if null and voided. Any the above is only a percentage of a list of other things that would come into question , season tickets, qualification for future cups etc etc ! Deluded man ! 

Fixtures should be concluded. I'm sure celtic Liverpool etc would prefer that. 

11 hours ago, lithgierose said:

Fixtures should be concluded. I'm sure celtic Liverpool etc would prefer that. 

Are you living on planet mars !! We have schools closing till sept, we have high street multi million pound businesses going out of business with 100,000’s of jobs going, we have thousands dying and you want to finish a season. 
when ?? ?? 

7 minutes ago, buloyal said:

Are you living on planet mars !! We have schools closing till sept, we have high street multi million pound businesses going out of business with 100,000’s of jobs going, we have thousands dying and you want to finish a season. 
when ?? ?? 

Whenever we can. 

Whether it is September, October or November you finish the season then decide how many games next season comprises depending on how many weeks you have left. 

Don't play any cups for a season if need be. As I asked earlier why shorten a season which is already three quarters complete in order to avoid starting next season late. 

Whenever we can. 
Whether it is September, October or November you finish the season then decide how many games next season comprises depending on how many weeks you have left. 
Don't play any cups for a season if need be. As I asked earlier why shorten a season which is already three quarters complete in order to avoid starting next season late. 

What do the new members do meantime, they will have nowhere to play? How do we play in cups when everyone else is playing 20-21 season? How long will it take Kinnoul to play 17 league games? It's just not possible, and every other league is ending their season and EoS will almost certainly follow suit.

The idea of finishing the season and starting the next is over and has been for a while now. Leagues are trying to deal  with the messy decisions for 2019-20 now. That way they can put together a Plan A with further contingencies on how to handle 2020-21. As we still don't know when that will start for certain.

8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The idea of finishing the season and starting the next is over and has been for a while now. Leagues are trying to deal  with the messy decisions for 2019-20 now. That way they can put together a Plan A with further contingencies on how to handle 2020-21. As we still don't know when that will start for certain.

20200416_105247.jpg

I wish people wouldn't insult others for their opinion on how best to deal with this. There are no right answers, there's no precedent to follow, each option has it's pro and cons and what fits best in one league won't fit best in another. There are so many factors to weigh up that no option is stupid.

Raith Rovers have been incredibly lucky, probably because Celtic, Dundee Utd and Cove were so far ahead in their leagues. It's pretty absurd to separate Raith and Falkirk or PPG, but doing anything else means either inconsistency across the SPFL or failing to recognise the realities in the other three divisions. Nobody can say one route is objectively better than another.

We're in a pyramid, so we have to recognise what's happened above. The LL ended and declared a champion so that they would have a chance of promotion. If the EoS plays on with the 2019-20 season, the champion won't have a chance of promotion because the LL will already have started 2020-21. So what's the point? As others have said, it would also leave the new applicant clubs twiddling their thumbs for months, which might threaten the survival of some of them. There's a lot to be said for completing the season but it doesn't seem practical in context.

If we're ending the season now, then we need to decide whether we're confirming a final table or declaring null and void. Is it reasonable to relegate anyone based on current positions, PPG or some other formula? Probably not. Is it reasonable to declare Bo'ness champions? That's borderline - their lead is strong but they're eminently catchable. If you're declaring them champion then it's consistent with everything above, but tough on the two main chasers. If you say they're not far enough ahead, then null and void becomes the better choice.

The solution in the Premier ought to be consistent with the First, where only one club has a strong case for promotion.

Whatever the EoSFL decides, there will be an argument for and against it so we should avoid the pointless rancour in the SPFL, respect each others' clubs and accept the choice that they take.

You're right, the decision has been made. But that decision is now going to lead to months of arguing, especially with thoughts now turning to the reconstruction task force which has been set up. Meanwhile clubs at all levels are going to be penalised unfairly through no fault of my own. 

But it is what it is. 

The season is over, people have made decisions to declare the season complete. If clubs are promoted then it should be limited to one club per league, I don't like ppg as a way to do this, but it seems to be the method of choice. It should be the club with the best ppg, any club who has played fewer games but has a higher ppg ratio shouldn't be considered, purely because there are so many variables to consider.

I know we are already planning for next season, judging where we are and looking at what we can do to hit the ground running when things open back up.

Whatever the decision is, we will all have to move on. My biggest concern, selfishly for my club, is the sfa licence decisions. It has been a 10 to 12 year journey to get where we are and if we were not granted our licence it would be demoralising for the club, for many, many reasons.

2 hours ago, patriot1 said:

You're right, the decision has been made. But that decision is now going to lead to months of arguing, especially with thoughts now turning to the reconstruction task force which has been set up. Meanwhile clubs at all levels are going to be penalised unfairly through no fault of my own. 

But it is what it is. 

There's literally no way of doing this that wouldn't penalise some clubs and reward others. There's no perfect solution and none of this is anyone's fault. It's been sad to see so many SPFL clubs descend into such obvious petty self-interest, it's not good for anyone in the long run.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

I wish people wouldn't insult others for their opinion on how best to deal with this. There are no right answers, there's no precedent to follow, each option has it's pro and cons and what fits best in one league won't fit best in another. There are so many factors to weigh up that no option is stupid.

Raith Rovers have been incredibly lucky, probably because Celtic, Dundee Utd and Cove were so far ahead in their leagues. It's pretty absurd to separate Raith and Falkirk or PPG, but doing anything else means either inconsistency across the SPFL or failing to recognise the realities in the other three divisions. Nobody can say one route is objectively better than another.

We're in a pyramid, so we have to recognise what's happened above. The LL ended and declared a champion so that they would have a chance of promotion. If the EoS plays on with the 2019-20 season, the champion won't have a chance of promotion because the LL will already have started 2020-21. So what's the point? As others have said, it would also leave the new applicant clubs twiddling their thumbs for months, which might threaten the survival of some of them. There's a lot to be said for completing the season but it doesn't seem practical in context.

If we're ending the season now, then we need to decide whether we're confirming a final table or declaring null and void. Is it reasonable to relegate anyone based on current positions, PPG or some other formula? Probably not. Is it reasonable to declare Bo'ness champions? That's borderline - their lead is strong but they're eminently catchable. If you're declaring them champion then it's consistent with everything above, but tough on the two main chasers. If you say they're not far enough ahead, then null and void becomes the better choice.

The solution in the Premier ought to be consistent with the First, where only one club has a strong case for promotion.

Whatever the EoSFL decides, there will be an argument for and against it so we should avoid the pointless rancour in the SPFL, respect each others' clubs and accept the choice that they take.

Couldn't agree more.

We've all seen promotions won and relegations escaped on goal difference in the past so IF the league avoids the Null and Void option then some clubs would miss out by tiny margins on say PPG. It's almost unavoidable for one or more clubs.

I think that clubs should be kept on the move up the divisions in the pyramid (if possible) but understand if it is felt that it would be very hard on clubs to suffer relegation in the circumstances.

The possibility of promotions without relegations might work provided divisions were reduced again in a year's time.