Season over

39 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If players don't get paid, do they become free agents? 

No, I don't believe so.

As I understand it, the contract is  effectively 'suspended' but the player is still under contract.  The clubs have not broken the terms - there is no breach because the players are unable to fulfill their obligations undertaken due to the actions of the Association, as is expressly stated in the Player Agreement.

4 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

No, I don't believe so.

As I understand it, the contract is  effectively 'suspended' but the player is still under contract.  The clubs have not broken the terms - there is no breach because the players are unable to fulfill their obligations undertaken due to the actions of the Association, as is expressly stated in the Player Agreement.

Another issue is many players contracts expiring on 30th June, and players who have already signed contracts with new clubs for next season beginning 1st July.  Clubs and players need some form of certainly over this season so they can plan and make decisions on signings and releasing players, also on player budgets.

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Another issue is many players contracts expiring on 30th June, and players who have already signed contracts with new clubs for next season beginning 1st July.  Clubs and players need some form of certainly over this season so they can plan and make decisions on signings and releasing players, also on player budgets.

Agreed - not sure where any reassurances or certainty will come from though - can't see any firm decisions being made within the next 4-6 weeks at least.  

Just now, Che Dail said:

Agreed - not sure where any reassurances or certainty will come from though - can't see any firm decisions being made within the next 4-6 weeks at least.  

I see a 21 year old footballer in Malaga has died, believed to be the youngest victim in Europe so far.  He was diagnosed with the virus and at that point they also diagnosed him with leukemia which he didn't know he had.

There's no way we'll resume football until we can be sure we're over the worst of it, no football authority is going to take the risk.

3 hours ago, beachboy said:

Agree 100% buloyal, how can teams sustain that suggestion from 'teamfinderscot', absolutely impossible.

Every business pays its staff based on projected income, our income just happens to come from all things associated with games being played, if we play no games where does the income come from? 

Is there any merit in getting the important games played i.e. league matches with no spectators allowed in? 

It would need the OK from the SFA and the Refs.

Is there any merit in getting the important games played i.e. league matches with no spectators allowed in? 

So, f*ck the players and coaches? [emoji1787][emoji1787]

In all seriousness, I think we all need to accept that under the circumstances getting football started again and getting important games played isn't going to be the priority for anyone.

30 minutes ago, Mucho said:

I wonder if those screaming null and void realise that ALL customers associated with the game would be entitled to a refund.

Why would I be entitled to a refund to a game that has been played?  I'm not sure many fans will be requesting refunds on the balance of their ST.

19 hours ago, Dev said:

Just seen the latest from the SFA. Fair enough.

Edited by Dev

4 hours ago, Che Dail said:

No, I don't believe so.

Much obliged sir. It's this kind of detail that will be needed to inform the discussion about what we do next.

4 hours ago, Dev said:

I think there could be a case for that higher up the leagues, at full-time level where TV money is important. It's surely only a matter of time before Sky, BT Sport and Premier Sport start asking for their money back, as they'll be bleeding subscribers by the million. But at non-league level, I can't see how games behind closed doors would be worth the effort, cost and risk.

Maybe those of us who can afford it should all just send our clubs the usual admission fee for each home fixture that goes unplayed. 

38 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I think there could be a case for that higher up the leagues, at full-time level where TV money is important. It's surely only a matter of time before Sky, BT Sport and Premier Sport start asking for their money back, as they'll be bleeding subscribers by the million. But at non-league level, I can't see how games behind closed doors would be worth the effort, cost and risk.

Maybe those of us who can afford it should all just send our clubs the usual admission fee for each home fixture that goes unplayed. 

Well looks like we are quick out the traps to say we are in bother! 

Home games (especially a Saturday) against the likes of Penicuik,Boness and Linlithgow are big games financially for the club.

https://www.whitehillwelfare.co.uk/news/covid-19-impact-2522761.html

3 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Home games (especially a Saturday) against the likes of Penicuik,Boness and Linlithgow are big games financially for the club.

Maybe the SFA need to look at delaying licencing requirements for the time being to allow clubs breathing space, and divert funds as appropriate.

14 minutes ago, Mucho said:

Perhaps they won’t but if they wanted to and  went about it the correct way they’d be more successful than Ann Budge will be. They purchased a season ticket for x amount of competitive league games and are entitled to compensation for any not fulfilled if the season is not complete. If those played become null and void rendering them nothing more than a friendly it could be argued they are entitled to a full refund. Not fit for purpose. 

I phoned virgin on Saturday afternoon to ask for a reduction on my sky and bt sport subscription and they asked if I minded telling them why. Told them it was because there was no football coverage. They said they were still providing the channels and no deduction could be made, I argued that they were no longer providing me with what I subscribed for and to put me through to cancellations. Once there I was told I still had 4 months of my contract to go and there would be a charge. I insisted they cancel my complete tv, phone and broadband package and I’d be cancelling  my payment through the bank immediately and if they wanted a penny more they’d need to take legal action and hung up. 3 hours later someone else called me back and asked if I would be happy to reconsider and offered me the service free until the football coverage returned.

No true fan of a club will be demanding refunds which could harm the future of that club.  Some will have to do the opposite and pay in a bit more to keep them afloat.

Not sure what you're experience of cancelling your pay TV package has to do with this.

6 minutes ago, Mucho said:

I never said they would, you asked why and I explained their rights. I shared my experience merely as an example. 

No true fan should be demanding this season be null and void as it could and most likely will open several cans of worms. BT and Sky entered a contract for a league. A full league and the likelihood is they won’t get one so are entitled to claim back fees. It doesn’t just stop there, sponsors and billboard advertising could conceivably look for remuneration and nobody could argue they’d be owed it if the outcome was to be null and void.

Nobody will be claiming back fees which could potentially put clubs under.

4 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Would it be possible to send a donation through the bank account details on that page? I'd have probably gone to their game against Linlithgow Rose and I'd be happy to give them the tenner I'd have spent on entry and a pie.

Rose had 5 away matches remaining - Star, HoB, Tranent, Dundonald and WW. As each comes up and isn't played I'm going to send them my tenner. If everyone who can afford this does it, even for just one game, it could go a long way to getting our clubs through this.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Would it be possible to send a donation through the bank account details on that page? I'd have probably gone to their game against Linlithgow Rose and I'd be happy to give them the tenner I'd have spent on entry and a pie.

Rose had 5 away matches remaining - Star, HoB, Tranent, Dundonald and WW. As each comes up and isn't played I'm going to send them my tenner. If everyone who can afford this does it, even for just one game, it could go a long way to getting our clubs through this.

Yes Gordon would imagine any Bank of Scotland branch will take your donation. Just give a different description if it's not for the lotto. Many thanks 👏