Season over

40 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

Not often I agree with wee burnie but I think he is spot on here, season will have to be declared void due to exceptional circumstances and the new season begins when it is safe to do so, probably August at the earliest.

Strange things happen in times of adversity 😯

2 hours ago, Truthteller said:

Not often I agree with wee burnie but I think he is spot on here, season will have to be declared void due to exceptional circumstances and the new season begins when it is safe to do so, probably August at the earliest.

What a load of tosh !! The season can’t be declared null and void. Clubs are run like businesses and you can’t just void a season. Things have changed from War time. The season surely must be completed whether that is delayed until after the peak or not. The SFA will have to change rules re out of contract players due to unforeseen circumstances and play when it’s safe to play. Therefore delay the start of next season. I’m sure that’s what the senior leagues will have to do as well. 

From an EoS point of view the end of March is approaching and there's a bunch of new clubs applying. The idea of finishing this season later in the year and then starting a new one seems a non starter on that basis alone.

So it really is just a case of trying to finish the season in a acceptable time frame, null & void or some sort of compromise based on standings.

Fairly grim reading here, football the least of our concerns.  Peak predicted to be end of May to mid-June, then reducing over next 10 weeks, only to become worse again as we enter winter.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Far less finishing this season, we'll struggle to get next season off the ground.

Time to start planning to keep our clubs going during the shutdown.

Fairly grim reading here, football the least of our concerns.  Peak predicted to be end of May to mid-June, then reducing over next 10 weeks, only to become worse again as we enter winter.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Far less finishing this season, we'll struggle to get next season off the ground.
There is a tweet from a Killie official saying football wont restart till September.

Just now, FuzzyBear said:
1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

There is a tweet from a Killie official saying football wont restart till September.

Was just reading that.  Season over, no relegation, no promotion, Scottish Cup Semis and Final from September onwards.

Will be interesting if true, works for Killie and BBC Scotland.

10 hours ago, The Gypsy King said:

Only people who have a vested interest in voiding the season think that it's a good idea. Everyone else thinks it's a stupid idea.

I have no vested interest and I think voiding the season is probably the least unfair of the options. Loads of people see it that way. To me it's like a match abandoned after 75 minutes - we don't try to fit in 15 minutes somewhere, we play the match again, with what happened in those 75 minutes written off whether one side is 5-0 or it's 0-0.

Folk say it's not fair on Bo'ness, but is it fair on Hill of Beath to deny them the opportunity to reel them in? Teams have lost bigger leads than this.

There are merits to all options and it's not reasonable to call any of them "stupid" ideas.

I’d personally say null and void this season. It’s brutal, however extreme circumstances and by continuing means that we will be playing catch-up in years to come. The players who receive wages on a professional contract should be honoured them. I know it’s tough for clubs to operate like this, but there should be a way to ensure that players are looked after. I completely agree also on they will have families and plans for summer, that is in fact if we are back playing for summer. What has happened is very serious and football is life or death to me, but some fans, referees, committees, managers and even players may be affected by them and may never recover(I severely hope this is not the case) and every club at most levels will need to re-evaluate their position and operations in the aftermath of this. I get excited easily with football, but I fear that this is a long slow process and if we have to sacrifice the football for a while to benefit everyone else so be it.

8 hours ago, teamfinderscot said:

I’d personally say null and void this season. It’s brutal, however extreme circumstances and by continuing means that we will be playing catch-up in years to come. The players who receive wages on a professional contract should be honoured them. I know it’s tough for clubs to operate like this, but there should be a way to ensure that players are looked after. I completely agree also on they will have families and plans for summer, that is in fact if we are back playing for summer. What has happened is very serious and football is life or death to me, but some fans, referees, committees, managers and even players may be affected by them and may never recover(I severely hope this is not the case) and every club at most levels will need to re-evaluate their position and operations in the aftermath of this. I get excited easily with football, but I fear that this is a long slow process and if we have to sacrifice the football for a while to benefit everyone else so be it.

So you are saying that null and void the season and pay players by honouring their contracts ?? I’m sorry but no business could sustain that, and all clubs are run like mini businesses these days. That’s like telling Tesco to pay all their staff for the next 4 month but not sell another thing in their stores ! Simply can’t happen, there will be no clubs left to compete next year except amateur teams who don’t pay wages on a contract. You have clubs who have budgeted on a season basis and some clubs who have took the view to up their budget to get where they want to go. I hear klopp ranting about this but try asking the money man at Liverpool the same question. Klopp will still look for his wages at the end of the month. What happens if sky turn around and say we can only pay 2/3’s of the money due to clubs cause they can’t show another game, there would be clubs going bust all over the place. If course we need to look after health and safety of everyone but measures need to be put in place like any other business to protect clubs as well. 

1 hour ago, buloyal said:

So you are saying that null and void the season and pay players by honouring their contracts ?? I’m sorry but no business could sustain that, and all clubs are run like mini businesses these days. That’s like telling Tesco to pay all their staff for the next 4 month but not sell another thing in their stores ! Simply can’t happen, there will be no clubs left to compete next year except amateur teams who don’t pay wages on a contract. You have clubs who have budgeted on a season basis and some clubs who have took the view to up their budget to get where they want to go. I hear klopp ranting about this but try asking the money man at Liverpool the same question. Klopp will still look for his wages at the end of the month. What happens if sky turn around and say we can only pay 2/3’s of the money due to clubs cause they can’t show another game, there would be clubs going bust all over the place. If course we need to look after health and safety of everyone but measures need to be put in place like any other business to protect clubs as well. 

Agree 100% buloyal, how can teams sustain that suggestion from 'teamfinderscot', absolutely impossible.

Every business pays its staff based on projected income, our income just happens to come from all things associated with games being played, if we play no games where does the income come from? 

37 minutes ago, beachboy said:

Agree 100% buloyal, how can teams sustain that suggestion from 'teamfinderscot', absolutely impossible.

Every business pays its staff based on projected income, our income just happens to come from all things associated with games being played, if we play no games where does the income come from? 

If a company's income falls to the point where (combined with assets) it can't meet its liabilities, it goes bust.

Either those that clubs owe - mostly players - agree not to be paid or clubs could be in serious trouble.

It mostly comes down to the terms of the contracts with players - are the circumstances in them allowing clubs not to pay them? Alternatively, clubs could make players redundant, but that will come with a cost too.

28 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If a company's income falls to the point where (combined with assets) it can't meet its liabilities, it goes bust.

Either those that clubs owe - mostly players - agree not to be paid or clubs could be in serious trouble.

It mostly comes down to the terms of the contracts with players - are the circumstances in them allowing clubs not to pay them? Alternatively, clubs could make players redundant, but that will come with a cost too.

Refer to the terms in the Standard Player Agreement:

Cl 5.  The player shall have no claim for wages for any period in which he may be unable to implement the obligations undertaken hereunder.

Cl 6. The club shall have the right to terminate this Agreement in terms of the Articles of Association and Registration Procedures of the Association, subject to the rights of appeal allowed to the player under Rule 7.3 of the Registration Procedures and the Dispute Resolution Procedure contained at Annex 2 of the Registration Procedures.

Cl 7. The Agreement and the terms and conditions thereof shall be, as to its suspension and the termination, subject to the laws of The Association, and to any action which may be taken by the Board of The Association or any committee and in any proceedings by the player against the club, it shall be a sufficient and complete defence and answer by and on the part of the club, that such suspension or termination thereof, is due to the action of The Association or the Board thereof or any committee thereof to whom the power may be delegated.

The Corona Virus pandemic could be an example of Force Majeure: Unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling their contract. 

An interpretation: The players are unable to implement their obligations due to the action of the Association, therefore they shall have no claim for wages.

I would say therefore that any moral obligation to 'come and go' with respect to wages / expenses is at the discretion of clubs, and not down to any goodwill / benevolence of its players.

16 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Cl 5.  The player shall have no claim for wages for any period in which he may be unable to implement the obligations undertaken hereunder.

Cl 6. The club shall have the right to terminate this Agreement in terms of the Articles of Association and Registration Procedures of the Association, subject to the rights of appeal allowed to the player under Rule 7.3 of the Registration Procedures and the Dispute Resolution Procedure contained at Annex 2 of the Registration Procedures.

Cl 7. The Agreement and the terms and conditions thereof shall be, as to its suspension and the termination, subject to the laws of The Association, and to any action which may be taken by the Board of The Association or any committee and in any proceedings by the player against the club, it shall be a sufficient and complete defence and answer by and on the part of the club, that such suspension or termination thereof, is due to the action of The Association or the Board thereof or any committee thereof to whom the power may be delegated.

The Corona Virus pandemic could be an example of Force Majeure: Unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling their contract. 

An interpretation: The players are unable to implement their obligations due to the action of the Association, therefore they shall have no claim for wages.

I would say therefore that any moral obligation to 'come and go' with respect to wages / expenses is at the discretion of clubs, and not down to any goodwill / benevolence of its players.

Ta. Always nice to get actual information 👍

51 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

I'd hope that most clubs and players can come to a mutual agreement where necessary. 

It's all about keeping clubs afloat so there's clubs available for players to play for. We're in uncharted territory.

25 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If players don't get paid, do they become free agents? 

Who would you suggest they sign for if released?

Do we have a club in the EOS/Lowland league that can sign players and afford to pay them whilst no football is being played?

10 minutes ago, beachboy said:

Who would you suggest they sign for if released?

Do we have a club in the EOS/Lowland league that can sign players and afford to pay them whilst no football is being played?

It would mean anyone could pick them when football restarts.