COVID 19 Mass gatherings over 500 to be banned from Monday

Jerry Macguire

54 minutes ago, Mucho said:

I love football too buddy, I also attend the  premier league darts in Glasgow and up in Aberdeen every year, but I’ve a relative and a very good friend who have cancer. Apologies if I come across as all morbid but my life will have less pleasure in it without them, so yes I would sacrifice that if it saved them.  

Stop with that apology nonsense. Really sorry to here about your friend. It’s a horrible illness that’s touched most of us. All we can hope for is a full recovery. 🙏 Hopefully we can provide some distraction with our 💩 patter (Gogsy & Marshmallow) sparkling wit and glorious repartee.

Driving kills 1,800 and seriously injures 25,000 people in Britain every year. Air pollution kills between 28,000 and 36,000 in the UK each year. Do you drive to games, when driving kills so many people - far more than Covid-19 will? If so, how is it different?
The idea that we should entirely stop doing something to very slightly reduce a very small risk doesn't fit with how we all behave all the time anyway.
If the epidemiological advice is that gatherings in the open air of fewer than 500 people are fine, provided everyone washes their hands, then I'm happy to go with that. If you don't accept that advice and want to reduce your risks of contracting the virus further then fine, just don't go to the game.
FWIW my sister in law has asthma and is recovering from an operation, and my missus is providing her with daily care. Everyone is likely to have some skin in the game.

You just have to look what has happened in Italy and how their health service has been unable to cope to understand why we need to delay the rate of infection. Comparing it to deaths from cars or air pollution makes no sense. You don't suddenly have hundreds or thousands of people all being in car accidents at the same time and needing to use the NHS like what could happen with this virus.

UEFA is having a conference call with all associations on Tuesday so we'll have a better idea then.

3 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

I don't know, I feel like you get into dangerous territory by allowing the season to continue for one part of the league while another part has to be paused (and potentially scrapped altogether if the situation doesn't improve).

If the top 4 tiers are stopped entirely while the Lowland continues it also follows that people will start going to the only available league games near them, which could well be Lowland League games, and push some attendences up to the 500 limit.

Our game against Bonnyrigg won't be over 500 in normal conditions, but it's entirely possible that if Bonnyrigg are in with a chance of winning the title on the last day (so bring a bigger away support than what they would for a dead rubber) and Falkirk haven't played for a while (so more neutrals are likely to come along) then that could push it over the limit.

Maybe its more likely to be played behind closed doors, or in the case of the lowland league with a limited crowd.

The issue of course with behind closed doors is that teams may still have several players go down with the virus, and the implications of quarantine.

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

You just have to look what has happened in Italy and how their health service has been unable to cope to understand why we need to delay the rate of infection. Comparing it to deaths from cars or air pollution makes no sense. You don't suddenly have hundreds or thousands of people all being in car accidents at the same time and needing to use the NHS like what could happen with this virus.

UEFA is having a conference call with all associations on Tuesday so we'll have a better idea then.

You can't assume the spread would be the same as any other country, all societies are a bit different.

The comparison with road deaths and air pollution does work - nobody is trying to avoid passing Covid-19 to their relatives until later, they're trying to avoid it altogether. Flattening the curve explains national policy, it doesn't explain any individual's risk-reducing behaviour.

People are just more scared of things that are novel, and are really terrible at assessing relative risk.

47 minutes ago, Mucho said:

Exactly, prevention is better than cure. However some people would swap the risk of their grannies life for a game of football and think it’s life and death until the latter hits them. 

If prevention is better than cure, why would you drive to football games? 

Even if the Lowland League continued by limiting any gates to 500, what would be the point? Yes you’d declare Kelty or Bonnyrigg the winners and they might even play off against Brora but you couldn’t promote them as you can’t relegate Brechin if they’ve not been able to complete league 2. You’d need to complete the leagues from Premership down. The season either stops on X date or it’s declared Null and Void. Stopping it on X date is also difficult as how do you resolve playoffs?

8 hours ago, Mucho said:

Exactly, prevention is better than cure. However some people would swap the risk of their grannies life for a game of football and think it’s life and death until the latter hits them. 

Your granny should stay away from the football until it's all over. Stop being such a drama queen. Continuing football at this level won't be ramping up the death toll. You're watching too mucho daytime TV 

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Your granny should stay away from the football until it's all over. Stop being such a drama queen. Continuing football at this level won't be ramping up the death toll. You're watching too mucho daytime TV 

It's only a matter of time until a few players get it, even at this level. Once that happens and whole squads are having to go into self isolation the game will be up.

Are players going to want to take the extra risk of exposing themselves to the virus to play football? All the physical contact etc will mean they have a higher chance of getting it.

Even if the Lowland League continued by limiting any gates to 500, what would be the point? Yes you’d declare Kelty or Bonnyrigg the winners and they might even play off against Brora but you couldn’t promote them as you can’t relegate Brechin if they’ve not been able to complete league 2. You’d need to complete the leagues from Premership down. The season either stops on X date or it’s declared Null and Void. Stopping it on X date is also difficult as how do you resolve playoffs?
The point would probably be to help keep the clubs afloat by getting their normal levels of income.

Also, stopping leagues early is an absolute worst case scenario, so if any individual league can avoid that then they should.

1 hour ago, Mucho said:

Ignorance is bliss buddy.

Think of all the time you've been posting stuff like this when you could have been out there foraging for toilet rolls. And I'm not ignorant of what is happening; I think it's unlikely I'll catch the virus at a Kelty v BSC game. More likely on a packed train going to work and there are no plans to cancel public transport. You need to lighten up a bit. Self isolate without access to the internet and you'll be fine.

2 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

It's only a matter of time until a few players get it, even at this level. Once that happens and whole squads are having to go into self isolation the game will be up.

Are players going to want to take the extra risk of exposing themselves to the virus to play football? All the physical contact etc will mean they have a higher chance of getting it.

From what I hear, anyone with the virus won't be up for playing football.

From what I hear, anyone with the virus won't be up for playing football.
You can have it but no show any symptoms for 5 or 6 days.

UEFA has now suspended the Champions and Europa league. England has suspended all football till 3rd April.

COPIED FROM OFFICIAL LOWLAND LEAGUE SITE
Scottish Lowland League

Flag of Scotland
@OfficialSLFL
NEWS | We can confirm that all of tomorrow’s fixtures have been postponed with immediate effect due to the coronavirus. All games have been cancelled until further notice and we’ll provide further information when we have it.
12:08 pm · 13 Mar 2020·

Just now, MAC THE KNIFE said:
COPIED FROM OFFICIAL LOWLAND LEAGUE SITE
Scottish Lowland League

Flag of Scotland
@OfficialSLFL
NEWS | We can confirm that all of tomorrow’s fixtures have been postponed with immediate effect due to the coronavirus. All games have been cancelled until further notice and we’ll provide further information when we have it.
12:08 pm · 13 Mar 2020·

Praise the Lord! We're all saved.

1 hour ago, craigiemack said:

Think the LL Cup will be postponed to allow fixture dates for the rest of the league season?

I think the season will be over mate, can’t see how they will fit in the play off games etc