COVID 19 Mass gatherings over 500 to be banned from Monday

Jerry Macguire

7 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I just wonder what if effect that will have on the Lowland League. The only game I can see it being a potential issue for would be Bonnyrigg v Kelty. One possible solution would be to ban away supporters and make it all ticket.

😂 you've obviously no drank in Bonnyrigg boozers wipe/now sanitise yer feet on way oot. 👍

5 minutes ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

THEY  WERE ORIGINALLY JUST MEANING DEMONSTRATIONS & PARADES

Didn't go into that detail MAC just said Mass gatherings. Wouldn't have thought protests or demonstrations were that big a deal at this time of the year anyway. 

25 minutes ago, Mucho said:

There’s a pandemic, hundreds of elderly/sick friends and relatives life’s are going to be cut short. Who the fook cares   about the outcome of the Lowland League?

I bet your the life and sole at parties. FFS it’s a football forum. 

38 minutes ago, Mucho said:

There’s a pandemic, hundreds of elderly/sick friends and relatives life’s are going to be cut short. Who the fook cares   about the outcome of the Lowland League?

Me. I love football (and rugby and tennis and a bunch of other sports) and my life will have less pleasure in it without them.

If someone said to you "if football is banned forever it will save 1,000 lives per year", would you agree?

I don't know, I feel like you get into dangerous territory by allowing the season to continue for one part of the league while another part has to be paused (and potentially scrapped altogether if the situation doesn't improve).

If the top 4 tiers are stopped entirely while the Lowland continues it also follows that people will start going to the only available league games near them, which could well be Lowland League games, and push some attendences up to the 500 limit.

Our game against Bonnyrigg won't be over 500 in normal conditions, but it's entirely possible that if Bonnyrigg are in with a chance of winning the title on the last day (so bring a bigger away support than what they would for a dead rubber) and Falkirk haven't played for a while (so more neutrals are likely to come along) then that could push it over the limit.

1 minute ago, Jerry Macguire said:

As I said I’m my OP the only potential impact I can see is the Bonnyrigg v Kelty game. Everyone else should be business as usual.

Kelty tested a live stream on youtube last year, maybe they can do the same at NDP.

14 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

I don't know, I feel like you get into dangerous territory by allowing the season to continue for one part of the league while another part has to be paused (and potentially scrapped altogether if the situation doesn't improve).

If the top 4 tiers are stopped entirely while the Lowland continues it also follows that people will start going to the only available league games near them, which could well be Lowland League games, and push some attendences up to the 500 limit.

Our game against Bonnyrigg won't be over 500 in normal conditions, but it's entirely possible that if Bonnyrigg are in with a chance of winning the title on the last day (so bring a bigger away support than what they would for a dead rubber) and Falkirk haven't played for a while (so more neutrals are likely to come along) then that could push it over the limit.

So limit the attendance and make it all ticket. If you don’t sell out open one cash turnstile on the day.

Basically came on to say the same thing. I also wondered if the ban on crowds of over 500 might see an increase in fans from the top 4 tiers heading to Lowland, EOS etc games.[emoji848]

At the same time though, I think there’ll be very few Lowland (etc) games that’ll get that much of an increase of people through the gates to pose much of a concern.

There are a few games left this season with the potential for 500 plus attendances. I'd think Bonnyriggs home games against Berwick and Kelty would both see that number easily. BSC v Kelty would be close. Kelty v Berwick and East Stirling v Bonnyrigg on the final day also have the potential to exceed 500 depending on the situation with the league title. Some of the groundhop games in the EoS must be in with a shout of reaching decent numbers too as well as the run in for Bo'ness as they look to pick up the title.

The whole thing is lacking in any detail at the minute but for me it has to be all or none in terms of the league continuing.

Bonnyrigg v Berwick was supposed to be part of the Scottish Ground Hop this year, I have tickets and I suspect so do a few hundred others who have never been to Bonnyrigg. 

Waiting to hear whats happenning to these games now even though none of them in the 4 years its been running have attracted a crowd of over 500 as far as I can see.

17 minutes ago, Roker Rover said:

Bonnyrigg v Berwick was supposed to be part of the Scottish Ground Hop this year, I have tickets and I suspect so do a few hundred others who have never been to Bonnyrigg. 

Waiting to hear whats happenning to these games now even though none of them in the 4 years its been running have attracted a crowd of over 500 as far as I can see.

Last year broke the 500 barrier for the first time.

On 31/03/2019 at 16:31, HibeeJibee said:

Here is a rundown of all Scottish groundhop crowds in first 5yrs. CSS v Leith was 'hastily arranged':

618          2019     Linlithgow v Jeanfield (Sat night)

491          2015     East Kilbride v Whitehill (Fri night)
  462          2015     Threave v Edinburgh Uni (Sun aft)
  435          2016     Spartans v Stiring Uni (Sat tea)
  418          2016     Edinburgh City v East Kilbride (Sat night)
  400          2015     Dalbeattie v Edinburgh City (Sun lunch)

387          2017     Hawick v East Stirlingshire (Sat tea)
  380          2019     Dunipace v Bonnyrigg (Fri night)
  366          2016     Gretna v Dalbeattie (Fri night)
  356          2019     Camelon v Edinburgh Utd (Sat morn)
  328          2019     Blackburn v Preston (Sat tea)
  324          2016     Whitehill v Gala (Sat morn)
  323          2015     Gala v Stirling Uni (Sat tea)
  312          2015     Vale of Leithen v Preston (Sat morn)
  301          2019     Inverkeithing v Heriot-Watt Uni (Sat aft)

294          2016     Edinburgh Uni v Selkirk (Sun lunch)
  288          2019     Peebles v Newtongrange (Sun lunch)
  281          2015     Selkirk v Spartans (Sat aft)
  278          2018     Kelty v Tweedmouth (Sat aft)
  267          2017     Coldstream v Tynecastle (Sat aft)
  263          2017     Preston v Cumbernauld (Fri night)
  259          2017     Ormiston v Leith (Sun lunch)
  235          2018     Mid Annandale v Lochmaben (Fri night)
  227          2017     Eyemouth v LTHV (Sat morn)
  207          2018     Heriot-Watt Uni v Leith (Sat tea) - at indoor stadium 

166          2018     Burntisland v Preston (Sat morn)
165          2016     Civil Service v Leith (Sat aft) ]

TOTAL   = 8,831
Average =     334

35 minutes ago, Mucho said:

I love football too buddy, I also attend the  premier league darts in Glasgow and up in Aberdeen every year, but I’ve a relative and a very good friend who have cancer. Apologies if I come across as all morbid but my life will have less pleasure in it without them, so yes I would sacrifice that if it saved them.  

Driving kills 1,800 and seriously injures 25,000 people in Britain every year. Air pollution kills between 28,000 and 36,000 in the UK each year. Do you drive to games, when driving kills so many people - far more than Covid-19 will? If so, how is it different?

The idea that we should entirely stop doing something to very slightly reduce a very small risk doesn't fit with how we all behave all the time anyway.

If the epidemiological advice is that gatherings in the open air of fewer than 500 people are fine, provided everyone washes their hands, then I'm happy to go with that. If you don't accept that advice and want to reduce your risks of contracting the virus further then fine, just don't go to the game.

FWIW my sister in law has asthma and is recovering from an operation, and my missus is providing her with daily care. Everyone is likely to have some skin in the game.

48 minutes ago, Gimme said:

There are a few games left this season with the potential for 500 plus attendances. I'd think Bonnyriggs home games against Berwick and Kelty would both see that number easily. BSC v Kelty would be close. Kelty v Berwick and East Stirling v Bonnyrigg on the final day also have the potential to exceed 500 depending on the situation with the league title. Some of the groundhop games in the EoS must be in with a shout of reaching decent numbers too as well as the run in for Bo'ness as they look to pick up the title.

The whole thing is lacking in any detail at the minute but for me it has to be all or none in terms of the league continuing.

BSC v Kelty unlikely to break 500. Biggest away support I’ve seen this season (apart from Hibs) was Bonnyrigg.