Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

My point is the games are scheduled at the split, so if its not clear who'll be safe/in danger by the final day, then how do you guarantee you don't give them a matchday off before the final day? 

You can't just start rearranging/cancelling games at short notice to try and fit a broken league system.

That's my point as well, you can't guarantee that - unlikely but you might have a tight bottom 7 and the likes of Hibs from 2014-15 nosedive to finish second bottom.

But if you have this system, the club which is 8th at the split is the least likely to be in danger on the final day, so they should have the final matchday off.

(Anyway this is a bit off topic)

17 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Two different conclusions but can see the reason in both. But I'd go with Bob on this one. I cant see them cancelling or putting back a tournament like the Euros. I'd imagine they have spent millions upon millions already and the cost of it not going ahead would be catastrophic for them.  I think they may gamble and hope it fizzle out by the summer and look for a quick solution on domestic competitions. 

It might get taken out of their hands though if this gets worse and governments suspend travel, we could see euro 2021.

38 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

The euros is a massive massive money spinner for them, I'd see them doing everything to keep that as scheduled. 

Bigger than the Champions League?

Many or all of the big leagues could turn round and say their seasons are null and void and as such cannot put forward any entrants for next season's European competitions. 

Pushing back the season may work in the wealthy leagues but not in countries like ours. Contracts are up at the end of April. When does the transfer window open? Clubs like Hearts may be able to buy a new team to play in the post split fixtures?

44 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

The euros is a massive massive money spinner for them, I'd see them doing everything to keep that as scheduled. 

Yeah, I saw an advert for Panini stickers last week and said at the time it was going to be interesting to watch the Marketing Vs Corona showdown.

1 minute ago, CambieBud said:

Pushing back the season may work in the wealthy leagues but not in countries like ours. Contracts are up at the end of May. When does the transfer window open? Clubs like Hearts may be able to buy a new team to play in the post split fixtures?

If the season is temporarily suspended then surely the sfa should be able to figure out a way to alter the transfer window/temporary contracts to help clubs. 

11 minutes ago, bennett said:

It might get taken out of their hands though if this gets worse and governments suspend travel, we could see euro 2021.

True, but I reckon they wont do anything with the Euros in the hope the virus will fizzle out. They have to make a decision now regarding domestic comps.

Edited by Bohemian

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, bennett said:

That's true, but if travel between countries is still suspended 3 months from now, then life as we know it will probably take years to recover as the global recession will be like nothing anyone has experienced. 

Draconian measures are needed now, at this moment, so that we can hopefully get past the worst point....the next month or so.....relatively unscathed.  

I still believe (hope) that the natural progression of the virus in the northern hemisphere will see a peak fairly soon, then a gradual dropping off. Life has to go at some point, and as pointed out UEFA will do everything to make sure this money-spinner goes ahead. 

15 minutes ago, The Master said:

Bigger than the Champions League?

Many or all of the big leagues could turn round and say their seasons are null and void and as such cannot put forward any entrants for next season's European competitions. 

Would most leagues not get their direction from UEFA? Could Scotland just turn around say f**k it lads we are declaring our league null and void?

Edited by Bohemian

Just now, Bohemian said:

Would most leagues not get their direction from UEFA? Could Scotland just turn around say f**k it lads we are declaring our league bull and void?

It could be a case of who blinks first, because realistically most leagues will want to complete their seasons but it's looking increasingly likely that will only happen if the Euros are binned.

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

It could be a case of who blinks first, because realistically most leagues will want to complete their seasons but it's looking increasingly likely that will only happen if the Euros are binned.

I cant see how leagues and euro competitions can be completed when players are now being infected. Also no one can realistically say when this virus will end, everyone is hoping the summer. The only solution now I think is to null and void comps or finish as is and hope the Euros go ahead.  

Also if the leagues were suspended until the summer when does the next season start? It's a shitshow in terms of sport

Edited by Bohemian

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

Suppose we'll see what comes pout of this meeting on Tuesday, but I see L'Equipe are reporting they will indeed postpone the Euros to next summer. 

I think they are suggesting this is the best outcome, not reporting it.

18 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

I cant see how leagues and euro competitions can be completed when players are now being infected. Also no one can realistically say when this virus will end, everyone is hoping the summer. The only solution now I think is to null and void comps or finish as is and hope the Euros go ahead.  

It's better for domestic seasons to be completed if possible. By postponing the Euros you at least have a chance of being able to do that during the summer.

If you can, then finish this season playing weekend-midweek for as long as needed, then start the new season later and scrap the winter break to fit everything in.

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

It's better for domestic seasons to be completed if possible. By postponing the Euros you at least have a chance of being able to do that during the summer.

If you can, then finish this season playing weekend-midweek for as long as needed, then start the new season later and scrap the winter break to fit everything in.

It would be better but it's looking like its going to be impossible especially now players are in isolation.

Alot of teams play twice a week anyway. When does player welfare come into this, lots of players are part time.

Just seen the MLS has suspended its league