Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I’d be up for suspending the season until the summer. A unique opportunity to trial summer football. Finish the fixtures between mid June to end of August.

Would the Euros not ruin that idea?

You've then got the issue of what you do with the next season (although shortening it would probably make the most sense).

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I saw this on Twitter regarding speculation in Germany regarding how they deal with a shut down:

In a Scottish context, I'm massively in favour of option 4 :)

Theres zero chance Celtic vote for that, if it comes to a vote. Aberdeen probably wouldn't either. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would the Euros not ruin that idea?

Unless this whole thing fizzles out fairly quickly, I'd be really surprised if the Euros go ahead.

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

I saw this on Twitter regarding speculation in Germany regarding how they deal with a shut down:

In a Scottish context, I'm massively in favour of option 4 :)

I suppose the ideal situation would be option 2 with the proviso that if we get to a certain date and coronavirus is still as big an issue (or worse) then we revert to either option 1 or 3. This would all depend on the Euros right enough. Option 4 would cause the banter years thread to go into meltdown so could be hilarious.

For me, choosing between option 1 and 3 is a case of choosing which would be funnier...Hearts getting relegated or Dundee United not getting promoted...it's a toughy

Edited by Cptn Hooch

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What? How do you do that if its not clear who'll be safe when the fixtures are scheduled?

What if, at the first matchday after the split, they could still go down but get scheduled to have that gameweek off?

What if they could all still end up in the play-offs etc.? 

Well of course this is the downside to 14 clubs with a 7/7 split, but if one club has to sit out the final matchday it should be the one furthest away from the top or bottom of the table, no? With an odd number every club has to take a two matchdays off anyway.

It could happen but it would be unlikely that 8th place after 26 games drops down far enough that after their 38 games they are sat there on the final day less than 3 points from relegation or the play-off.

Edited by Ginaro

6 minutes ago, Aqy said:

Unless this whole thing fizzles out fairly quickly, I'd be really surprised if the Euros go ahead.

The head guy at UEFA was on Sky the other day saying they've currently no intention of cancelling/delaying it.

UEFA have convened a meeting of all associations for next Tuesday where they will discuss plans for the Champions League, Europa League and Euros. My guess is that the Euros will be pushed back to next summer with a view to finishing all of this season's competitions in the summer.

Just now, Ginaro said:

Well of course this is the downside to 14 clubs with a 7/7 split, but if one club has to sit out the final matchday it should be the one furthest away from the top or bottom of the table, no? With an odd number every club has to take a two matchdays off anyway.

It could happen but it would be unlikely that 8th place after 26 games drops down far enough that after their 38 games they are sat there on the final day less than 3 points from relegation or the play-off.

My point is the games are scheduled at the split, so if its not clear who'll be safe/in danger by the final day, then how do you guarantee you don't give them a matchday off before the final day? 

You can't just start rearranging/cancelling games at short notice to try and fit a broken league system.

Just now, craigkillie said:

UEFA have convened a meeting of all associations for next Tuesday where they will discuss plans for the Champions League, Europa League and Euros. My guess is that the Euros will be pushed back to next summer with a view to finishing all of this season's competitions in the summer.

The euros is a massive massive money spinner for them, I'd see them doing everything to keep that as scheduled. 

44 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The country?

Aye right then, a wee nasal speaking part of it maybe.

If you didn't have a massive chip on your shoulder then you'd realise that anything that applies to Glasgow Central and Queen Street (the two mentioned in the post) would also apply to Waverley, Haymarket and other major train stations in Scotland.

39 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Have you ever been on a train or going through the stations at rush hour! It can be standing room only on some of the trains out of Waverley in the evening.

Yes, obviously trains are very busy, but with people being expected to work from home more they shouldn't be as busy as usual. I don't think it is any way feasible to cancel public transport or close major train stations - even at the very basic level a lot of front line medical staff will commute using buses and trains.

26 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

If it's to help HCWs as opposed to the spread of the virus (although I'm sure the latter will still have some part to play) then that makes complete sense. I am/was just worried that we're being allowed to go to games this weekend just because they're quite close.

The football game itself will be fine (there won't be anymore than 100 of us), but being on a bus for ~8hrs and sitting in a small pub for a couple of hours probably isn't the best way to protect yourself from the virus.

Will be a good Accies support for this game as you will see.Even more so,now it may be the last game for a while.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

How does it work with players contracts?

We've signed Shaun Rooney on a PCA, which from recent history suggests he's contracted to join us in the first week of June. If the Championship season is extended into June, what happens?

Part time sides will be utterly fucked if its extended too, no income for months, and then expected to pay wages for longer than usual aswell.

2 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

The euros is a massive massive money spinner for them, I'd see them doing everything to keep that as scheduled. 

Moving it will be a worst case scenario for them, but I'd say they are very quickly running out of options. It seems unlikely that everyone can play in the play-offs in two weeks, and there's not really much time to play them otherwise, particularly with all these extra league fixtures piling up.

I would guess that moving it to next summer would be better for them financially than cancelling it completely or possibly even having games behind closed doors.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

The  Euros are 3 months away, and previous Pandemic experiences (and also the current Chinese statistics) would suggest that infection rates will peak within the next few weeks and then start dropping off as prevention measures kick in and the weather gets warmer.

There's no way the Euros will be cancelled. 

Who gets to play in them via this play-off route is another question. I can see it being settled by drawing lots. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've signed Shaun Rooney on a PCA, which from recent history suggests he's contracted to join us in the first week of June. If the Championship season is extended into June, what happens?

Part time sides will be utterly fucked if its extended too, no income for months, and then expected to pay wages for longer than usual aswell.

Contracts are contracts - Rooney would become a St Johnstone player on those dates. If clubs are trying to be cheap by depriving players of a month's income in the summer then it's their own fault to some extent.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The  Euros are 3 months away, and previous Pandemic experiences (and also the current Chinese statistics) would suggest that infection rates will peak within the next few weeks and then start dropping off as prevention measures kick in and the weather gets warmer.

Who gets to play in them via this play-off route is another question. I can see it being settled by drawing lots. 

It's not about the Euros being affected per se, it's about the various domestic league seasons and the Champions League/Europa League not being able to be finished before the Euros starts. If there are no league championships completed then it also has a knock-on effect on next season's Champions League, which is due to start before the Euros are even finished.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Exactly - extending the season would be impossible for all the reasons you note.............despite there being some sensible reasons why it "sounds" right.

As noted above, the Euros will probably go ahead too.

If, as expected, any lockdown goes on for a month or so, I expect the option 1 (just call it after this weekend) to happen.

I am sure Hearts would be mightily annoyed, but - meh

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Contracts are contracts - Rooney would become a St Johnstone player on those dates. If clubs are trying to be cheap by depriving players of a month's income in the summer then it's their own fault to some extent.

Is it fair on ICT? They'd lose a first team defender, probably for a set off play offs which might financially save them, because they aren't contracting players to July?

It'll be even worse in the bottom two tiers, where the play-offs become life and death to a degree, yet financially crippled clubs are going to be severely handicapped even further. Can't even sign replacements as presumably you won't be able to register new players.

If they're making that decision, it needs to be done now so teams can start offering 1 month extension type deals.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Moving it will be a worst case scenario for them, but I'd say they are very quickly running out of options. It seems unlikely that everyone can play in the play-offs in two weeks, and there's not really much time to play them otherwise, particularly with all these extra league fixtures piling up.

I would guess that moving it to next summer would be better for them financially than cancelling it completely or possibly even having games behind closed doors.

14 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Two different conclusions but can see the reason in both. But I'd go with Bob on this one. I cant see them cancelling or putting back a tournament like the Euros. I'd imagine they have spent millions upon millions already and the cost of it not going ahead would be catastrophic for them.  I think they may gamble and hope it fizzle out by the summer and look for a quick solution on domestic competitions. 

Edited by Bohemian