Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

So they should've taken the decision to finish the league as soon as it was suspended?  

I see you were taught maths at the same school as craigkillie.

22 minutes ago, Ric said:

I see you were taught maths at the same school as craigkillie.

You said the league was postponed "weeks ago". And the decision should've been made " weeks ago". So there shouldn't have been any time to look and assess the situation and we should've jumped the gun before any other world league?

The folk going on about the fairness of finishing this season are the football equivalent of people who tell you at every opportunity that they support Scotland in the UK and the EU. That's lovely and everything but it's not going to happen. 

I don't have a fucking scooby how to fairly resolve this tbf. Getting 8 or 9 league games in the next few months isn't a real option though.

3 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

The folk going on about the fairness of finishing this season are the football equivalent of people who tell you at every opportunity that they support Scotland in the UK and the EU. That's lovely and everything but it's not going to happen. 

I don't have a fucking scooby how to fairly resolve this tbf. Getting 8 or 9 league games in the next few months isn't a real option though.

As far as I am aware there are only about three of us on here who openly support one United Kingdom at the heart of Europe.  Not surprisingly, I also support Rangers' statement (which is in accord with UEFA's most recent view) that our starting point has got to be finding a way to seeing the season out.

What you've, probably inadvertently, done is highlighted who the good guys in both football and politics are 😎

Guest JTS98
5 hours ago, Ric said:

Just fucking relegate Hearts and promote United. We aren't finishing this league and all the self interest from some clubs is just pathetic. This decision should have been taken weeks ago.

And, of course, there is no self-interest whatsoever in a fan of a club currently 2 points from the relegation play-off and 6 from bottom with 24 left to play for wanting the relegation issue left as it currently lies.

Of course there's self-interest at play. And it's one of those situations where everyone is sort of right, even those who totally disagree.

It's kind of right to suggest that the best answer is to give Celtic the title, relegate Hearts, put Motherwell in Europe. But it's also completely reasonable of Rangers, Hearts, and Aberdeen to not accept that and refuse to face negative consequences based on the league table at an arbitrary point in the season.

Guest JTS98

It'll be interesting, obviously, to see what comes of the UEFA meeting about finishing the Champions League and Europa League and how that affects next season's tournaments, if they actually go ahead at all.

There's a possibility, I'd argue likelihood, that if the UEFA tournaments for next year go ahead at all, and I'm far from convinced they will, then they will be curtailed and under a different format.

Does this mean that who finishes 3rd in this season's Premiership is irrelevant from a UEFA qualification point of view? Maybe. It might be big clubs only.

Does this mean that participation will be linked to the state of the virus in particular countries, meaning Motherwell may be totally  excluded, or perhaps parachuted straight into some kind of smaller (and probably lucrative) group stage? In that case, are the other middling clubs happy to potentially gift Motherwell a huge sum of money that they haven't really earned access to? Or should Motherwell be compelled to share that cash? And with whom?

Same applies to Celtic, obviously. Are the other clubs happy to give Celtic access to Champions League money when they haven't actually won the title? Or, perhaps next season's European money should be evenly split between all of the clubs or added to the tv distribution pot.

It's hard to judge levels of 'fairness' until we know about these things. Kilmarnock, for example, might be happy to vote Motherwell into Europe but then have fucking kittens when they find out a week or so later that they've just gifted Motherwell a few million quid.

Ok.

Here goes.

Declare no team as “champions” in any of the 4 divisions, play off between all teams mathematically capable of making it to Europe to decide who qualifies.

In every league relegate ALL the teams who still have a mathematical possibility (however slight) of going down (they’re all shite anyway)

From the Championship down promote ALL teams that still have a mathematical chance of winning the league (again, however slight).

Once we know division sizes decide on playing each other twice or some sort of “split” that gives about 30 games per season.

Season after, however many it takes to revert to 12 10 10 10 but a minimum of 2 relegations and promotions from each division just to make it interesting.

That would be fun, no?

8 hours ago, Zing. said:

Sounds like Hibs will vote against the SPFL proposal. It does make sense but being a petty biased football fan I’m fucking seething that we aren’t voting to bury those filthy Hearts c***s. 

Embarrassing. 

"Hands across Edinburgh" type pandering IMO.

8 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

The self interest is pathetic 😂

It's football. Like the clubs voting for the proposal are doing it for the good of the game.

This is obvious surely? 

Why would any club vote against their self interest? 

Getting this season ended now, getting the rest of the prize money, and being able to plan for next season financially before players contracts expire is in the best interest of most clubs just now. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Embarrassing. 

"Hands across Edinburgh" type pandering IMO.

There’s going to be heads detaching all over Leith if we don’t vote to send them down. It really makes little difference tbf, we’ll continue to comfortably finish above them every season anyway. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is obvious surely? 

Why would any club vote against their self interest? 

Getting this season ended now, getting the rest of the prize money, and being able to plan for next season financially before players contracts expire is in the best interest of most clubs just now. 

Aye that's my point.  Apologies though, I meant to quote another person who was saying the self interest was pathetic.  

I'm obviously looking at it from a Hearts point of view, but there's not a single club that'd be in our position and just go "aye, that's fair enough".

Totally understand clubs look after their own interests, that was what I meant.

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

Aye that's my point.  Apologies though, I meant to quote another person who was saying the self interest was pathetic.  

I'm obviously looking at it from a Hearts point of view, but there's not a single club that'd be in our position and just go "aye, that's fair enough".

Totally understand clubs look after their own interests, that was what I meant.

Quite. It's why I've no sympathy for Hearts/Partick/Stranraer who are bleating about the gross unfairness of it all. 

If theyd been off the bottom by a point and saved by this theyd be bollocks deep in it.

Incidentally, the fanbase taking it the worst are somehow Falkirk. Theyve gone full Rangers on here and started threatening to boycott away games at any club who votes for it, claiming their away crowds keep these clubs in business.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quite. It's why I've no sympathy for Hearts/Partick/Stranraer who are bleating about the gross unfairness of it all. 

If theyd been off the bottom by a point and saved by this theyd be bollocks deep in it.

Incidentally, the fanbase taking it the worst are somehow Falkirk. Theyve gone full Rangers on here and started threatening to boycott away games at any club who votes for it, claiming their away crowds keep these clubs in business.

In this situation I'm sure no one cares if they have your sympathy tbh.  

I would not be balls deep in it at all, we were discussing it before St Mirren away as we knew it was a possibility.  It's wrong to relegate and not promote teams when there's so long to go and it's such a unique situation.  Obviously though I'd be more relaxed about the outcome if we  were off the bottom.

You mention Falkirk, they are one point behind, 8 games to go and Raith still to play.  Of course they'd be furious.  Don't pretend you'd be anything different in that scenario.

If we go down fair enough, this belief that teams getting fucked by it shouldn't care or be annoyed is bizarre though.

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

In this situation I'm sure no one cares if they have your sympathy tbh.  

I would not be balls deep in it at all, we were discussing it before St Mirren away as we knew it was a possibility.  It's wrong to relegate and not promote teams when there's so long to go and it's such a unique situation.  Obviously though I'd be more relaxed about the outcome if we  were off the bottom.

You mention Falkirk, they are one point behind, 8 games to go and Raith still to play.  Of course they'd be furious.  Don't pretend you'd be anything different in that scenario.

If we go down fair enough, this belief that teams getting fucked by it shouldn't care or be annoyed is bizarre though.

I'm not saying clubs/fans shouldn't care. 

I'm merely pointing out the rampant hypocrisy in them all bleating about sporting integrity and fairness when it's clearly not what theyd be saying if they weren't affected. If Hearts were 1 point clear in 11th Budge would absolutely be right behind this.

You've got Stranraer, with 2 wins all season, claiming it's a disgrace they're being relegated FFS 😂

This league season cannot be finished, theres not enough time without fucking over next season and the new TV deal, and due to prize money/contractual issues/TV contract issues, it cannot be voided. 

You either try and rush through some b*****dised reconstruction, apparently to last one year, while still fitting in with a pre-arranged TV deal involving 12 clubs and not 14/16, or you find the best solution.

How do you want this season to end?

Heard another counter point on the recent proposals for the lower leagues. Remaining games are awarded based on average home and away points. I was bored in the early hours of this morning so did a bit of work to see how it would affect the standings. Keep in mind it was early hours so there may be mistakes, also I've made the assumption that every team will play 19 home and 19 away games which I know isn't really feesible but seemed the fairest way to do it. The standings aren't affected much with only Ross County moving ahead of St Mirren by the proverbial bawhair which could have come down to GD. Is this a better solution to ending the season early if it is required?

Team Current Pts Home Average Home Games Home Points Away Average Away Games Away Points Final Total
Celtic 80 2.8 4 11.2 2.53 4 10.12 101.32
Rangers 67 2.43 5 12.15 2.2 4 8.8 87.95
Motherwell 46 1.47 4 5.88 1.6 4 6.4 58.28
Aberdeen 45 1.6 4 6.4 1.4 4 5.6 57
Livingston 39 2 5 10 0.69 3 2.07 51.07
Hibs 37 1.47 4 5.88 1 4 4 46.88
St John 36 1.31 3 3.93 1.15 6 6.9 46.83
Killie 33 1.53 4 6.12 0.67 4 2.68 41.8
Ross Cty 29 1.29 5 6.45 0.69 3 2.07 37.52
St Mirren 29 1.4 4 5.6 0.53 4 2.12 36.72
Hamilton 27 0.94 3 2.82 0.86 5 4.3 34.12
Hearts 23 0.87 4 3.48 0.67 4 2.68