Jump to content
PauloPerth

Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

Recommended Posts

That's certainly possible, but again I'd venture that finishing a season a year late is as good as just not bothering to finish it.
What's the point? It would have hardly any sporting legitimacy at all but would take up time that could be spent just starting a new season.
It would keep the schedule right since we'd be kicking off again in March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, craigkillie said:
10 minutes ago, JTS98 said:
That's certainly possible, but again I'd venture that finishing a season a year late is as good as just not bothering to finish it.
What's the point? It would have hardly any sporting legitimacy at all but would take up time that could be spent just starting a new season.

It would keep the schedule right since we'd be kicking off again in March.

Could do. Might not do.

Like I said previously, part of the problem is that we have no idea about the 'when' of this. People advocating finishing the season are saying that it should be done due to fairness. While I have sympathy with that, we don't know when it will be possible, we don't know how teams will put a squad together, we don't know what will follow the conclusion of this season, and there's obviously a lack of legitimacy to the whole thing.

Also, who wants to win the Covid-19 Cup?

I think we're better off making a decision now on how we are going to re-start so that when the time comes that football can begin again, whether in 6 months, 9 months, a year, whatever, clubs know what budgets they have and are able to make informed offers to players. This allows clubs to plan for their futures at a difficult time and avoids asking players to take the risk of a short-term contract, which most would like to avoid.

I think it's just more sensible to have a plan and structure ready to go at two months' notice and one day the authorities can say 'GO' and we all know where we stand. I understand the desire to finish the season, I just think that ship has sailed past a reasonable point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three days ago we were still planning to keep playing, so I don't think we can say the ship has sailed yet. Things are changing rapidly, and I don't see the need to make a rushed decision now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Three days ago we were still planning to keep playing, so I don't think we can say the ship has sailed yet. Things are changing rapidly, and I don't see the need to make a rushed decision now.

Agreed.

What I would suggest is now for clubs to come up with proposals and time frames. For example if the closure goes past a certain date then the Scottish Cup gets binned. Would also factor in another transfer window should it drag past June. If it goes past another stage then next seasons league cup gets binned. And so on and so on. That way clubs know what could happen at each date and attempt to budget/plan accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

I can't wait to hear about this. It will tell us a lot about the importance of tv money.

It seems unbelievable that the competitions will go ahead, but then how do big clubs pay their wages without tv money?

It's going to be fascinating.

We both know that the money is everything at the top level. There will be a massive push to get the competitions on next season, even if it's behind closed doors.

It's been mentioned on here many times about the financial bubble the top sides and the top 2 flights in England exist in. Could it be about to pop ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

We both know that the money is everything at the top level. There will be a massive push to get the competitions on next season, even if it's behind closed doors.

It's been mentioned on here many times about the financial bubble the top sides and the top 2 flights in England exist in. Could it be about to pop ?

I've been wondering about the closed doors thing.

I'm not sure what I make of it.

Obviously, the 'content' has been paid for and the tv companies want it to be provided so they can show it and sell advertising etc.

However, how do UEFA feel about their top competition being shown naked. As in, with no crowd to provide the background and drama etc. It's hard to enjoy watching a game on tv with no crowd, and UEFA might consider this too damaging to the brand to tolerate.

I'm not sure what the call is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Could do. Might not do.

Like I said previously, part of the problem is that we have no idea about the 'when' of this. People advocating finishing the season are saying that it should be done due to fairness. While I have sympathy with that, we don't know when it will be possible, we don't know how teams will put a squad together, we don't know what will follow the conclusion of this season, and there's obviously a lack of legitimacy to the whole thing.

Also, who wants to win the Covid-19 Cup?

I think we're better off making a decision now on how we are going to re-start so that when the time comes that football can begin again, whether in 6 months, 9 months, a year, whatever, clubs know what budgets they have and are able to make informed offers to players. This allows clubs to plan for their futures at a difficult time and avoids asking players to take the risk of a short-term contract, which most would like to avoid.

I think it's just more sensible to have a plan and structure ready to go at two months' notice and one day the authorities can say 'GO' and we all know where we stand. I understand the desire to finish the season, I just think that ship has sailed past a reasonable point.

I think that it is doable to in finish the current league season.

We could aim to resume the current season in August/September (with or without the 2020 League Cup depending on how things pan out time wise) and then finish the league fixtures by mid November. Then we could have a one off half-season where the prize money is distributed much more equitably through the structure (designed to protect teams a bit further if they drop a league than the parachute payment does) and then resume to normality in 2021.

I agree with you that the biggest budgeting issue is having certainty but, whilst having a guaranteed league position may help teams anticipating the quantity of funds heading their way, the driver of that issue is going to be the resume date and that's the part we don't really have control over. We could make things as straight forward as possible and just come out with a firm void/current standings verdict today (as we could come out with the sort of plan I've mentioned) but the main problem is that it's going to be difficult to assess how likely that is.

Edited by harry94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I think that it is doable to in finish the current league season.

We could aim to resume the current season in August/September (with or without the 2020 League Cup depending on how things pan out time wise) and then finish the league fixtures by mid November. Then we could have a one off half-season where the prize money is distributed much more equitably through the structure (designed to protect teams a bit further if they drop a league than the parachute payment does) and then resume to normality in 2021.

I agree with you that the biggest budgeting issue is having certainty but, whilst having a guaranteed league position may help teams anticipating the quantity of funds heading their way, the driver of that issue is going to be the resume date and that's the part we don't really have control over. We could make things as straight forward as possible and just come out with a firm void/current standings verdict today (as we could come out with the sort of plan I've mentioned) but the main problem is that it's going to be difficult to assess how likely that is.

That's kind of my main point.

We're going on estimates of how the virus is going to behave and how effective public measures are going to be.

The longer we wait, the harder it is for clubs to make plans.

Just tell clubs where they stand and move on. Then when the time comes, we start again with certainty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I think that it is doable to in finish the current league season.

We could aim to resume the current season in August/September (with or without the 2020 League Cup depending on how things pan out time wise) and then finish the league fixtures by mid November. Then we could have a one off half-season where the prize money is distributed much more equitably through the structure (designed to protect teams a bit further if they drop a league than the parachute payment does) and then resume to normality in 2021.

If the season were to restart in August, it could be done by the second week of September by playing two games a week for a month (+1 week for Sevco v St Johnstone). 

You could then look towards starting the new season on Saturday 3rd October. Scrapping the League Cup, the winter break and Scottish Cup replays might just allow enough midweeks to be squeezed out for a May 2021 finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

Could do. Might not do.

Like I said previously, part of the problem is that we have no idea about the 'when' of this. People advocating finishing the season are saying that it should be done due to fairness. While I have sympathy with that, we don't know when it will be possible, we don't know how teams will put a squad together, we don't know what will follow the conclusion of this season, and there's obviously a lack of legitimacy to the whole thing.

Also, who wants to win the Covid-19 Cup?

I think we're better off making a decision now on how we are going to re-start so that when the time comes that football can begin again, whether in 6 months, 9 months, a year, whatever, clubs know what budgets they have and are able to make informed offers to players. This allows clubs to plan for their futures at a difficult time and avoids asking players to take the risk of a short-term contract, which most would like to avoid.

I think it's just more sensible to have a plan and structure ready to go at two months' notice and one day the authorities can say 'GO' and we all know where we stand. I understand the desire to finish the season, I just think that ship has sailed past a reasonable point.

There is a precedent. The 1939-40 season was stopped after 5 matches. Didn't start again until 1946-47 when they played the remaining 25 matches. Different times, obviously. But if it was possible in the interests of fairness to wait 7 years to finish a league programme, with entirely different players, then surely we can live with a delay of maybe 1 year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

There is a precedent. The 1939-40 season was stopped after 5 matches. Didn't start again until 1946-47 when they played the remaining 25 matches. Different times, obviously. But if it was possible in the interests of fairness to wait 7 years to finish a league programme, with entirely different players, then surely we can live with a delay of maybe 1 year?

Different competition with a different rulebook under a different governing body. Eighty years ago.

I don't see a lot of relevance.

Also, the idea of precedent is interesting. Just because they did that 80 years ago doesn't mean it is a good idea. I think delaying the league by seven years and picking up in the same place is a ludicrous idea and the organisers must have been utter diddies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Master said:

If the season were to restart in August, it could be done by the second week of September by playing two games a week for a month (+1 week for Sevco v St Johnstone). 

You could then look towards starting the new season on Saturday 3rd October. Scrapping the League Cup, the winter break and Scottish Cup replays might just allow enough midweeks to be squeezed out for a May 2021 finish.

Only issue might be the prize money. Could some teams survive without it until then?

(Genuinely dont know, btw, just spitballing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The longer the delay the higher the chance of clubs folding. Are people seriously suggesting trying to complete this season 6 months from now? The lower leagues could be decimated by then. A decision will be taken by UEFA and Scotland will just have to go along with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

The longer the delay the higher the chance of clubs folding. Are people seriously suggesting trying to complete this season 6 months from now? The lower leagues could be decimated by then. A decision will be taken by UEFA and Scotland will just have to go along with it.

How quickly do you expect football to be possible again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

How quickly do you expect football to be possible again?

Possibly August

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The five Scottish League matches that had been played at the start of the 1939/40 were "expunged" from the records i.e. simply deleted as if they had never happened. The 25 remaining matches were never played. Season 1946/47 was a complete new season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only issue might be the prize money. Could some teams survive without it until then?

(Genuinely dont know, btw, just spitballing)

That's true.

Maybe partial money? There must be some teams outside the top 2 that are now guaranteed top 6 (so give them the prize money for 6th now). Are any other clubs guaranteed to finish no lower than a certain position?

Is it also still the case that every team gets the minimum prize money (i.e. based on finishing 12th) early doors in the season? 

Edited by The Master

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought - purely for cashflow reasons - that there would be little interest in trying to complete this season in August or beyond, simply as clubs will want as much prize money released as soon as possible (including the "success based" money) to tide them over until they can release players at the end of their contracts and start to get some season ticket revenue in....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

The longer the delay the higher the chance of clubs folding. Are people seriously suggesting trying to complete this season 6 months from now? The lower leagues could be decimated by then. A decision will be taken by UEFA and Scotland will just have to go along with it.

How this season is resolved is a secondary issue for me.

Main focus for Scottish football is the survival of clubs and the protection of players/employees. This is a monumentally serious situation for the whole game. Who gives a f**k about 9 in a row or whatever else. Relegations are relevant only because the financial implications for clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...