Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

37 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Let me credit you with intelligence you deserve and pose you a question.

Lets assume you won the game in hand and based on the current form of both teams you see Celtic dropping 10 points in the next 8 games when we have dropped 10 in the previous 30 games? 

Furthermore this isn’t even the biggest issue, close the season and award the prize money and focus on keeping clubs alive so we can at least see every team who finished this one start the next? 

With 9 games and 27 points to play for anything could happen, you can't just say that celtic should get the title  because they'd have won it anyway.  It's called a season for a reason, 38 games must be played for it to be valid.

The integrity of the league must be upheld.

47 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Lets assume you won the game in hand and based on the current form of both teams you see Celtic dropping 10 points in the next 8 games when we have dropped 10 in the previous 30 games? 

Furthermore this isn’t even the biggest issue, close the season and award the prize money and focus on keeping clubs alive so we can at least see every team who finished this one start the next? 

Why would they have to "close the season" to award prize money? It is within their power to award prize money however and whenever they want. As the SPFL outlined in their statement earlier, the prize money is paid in installments over the season anyway, and clubs are due (and will get) another payment in April.

Not sure how valid this site is.

Exclusive: UEFA to demand £275m from clubs and leagues to postpone Euro 2020 by a year

European football’s governing body will demand compensation of about £275 million from its clubs and leagues to postpone Euro 2020 by a year in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

This is what UEFA estimates it will cost to push the European Championships back by 12 months to June 2021 and will be relayed to European football’s stakeholders in emergency meetings on Tuesday, during which it will be confirmed the tournament will be delayed by a year.

The clear priority of member leagues and clubs is to somehow complete the current season rather than abort competitions and treat the existing standings as final or rule the campaign null and void, given the numerous legal challenges that would be guaranteed to arise as a result.

Despite the scale and unpredictability of the global COVID-19 outbreak, most European leagues and clubs are understood to retain hope that their competitions can still be finished in May and June

I'd suggest Scotlands roughly 1% share of paying this comes from the sides which insist on finishing the season.

The Athletic is reliable fwiw. Spent loads on getting very legitimate journalists to write for them.

Not sure how valid this site is.

JL7xsAkv_bigger.jpg&key=648d26cba075701d2c83dcec51ed099a165949eb2a0a7c4058b6473a686f57e9 The Athletic UK   [emoji818]@TheAthleticUK    

Exclusive: UEFA to demand £275m from clubs and leagues to postpone Euro 2020 by a year

European football’s governing body will demand compensation of about £275 million from its clubs and leagues to postpone Euro 2020 by a year in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

This is what UEFA estimates it will cost to push the European Championships back by 12 months to June 2021 and will be relayed to European football’s stakeholders in emergency meetings on Tuesday, during which it will be confirmed the tournament will be delayed by a year.

The clear priority of member leagues and clubs is to somehow complete the current season rather than abort competitions and treat the existing standings as final or rule the campaign null and void, given the numerous legal challenges that would be guaranteed to arise as a result.

Despite the scale and unpredictability of the global COVID-19 outbreak, most European leagues and clubs are understood to retain hope that their competitions can still be finished in May and June

18 minutes ago, bennett said:

It's called a season for a reason, 38 games must be played for it to be valid.

a. what? b. says who?

1951522586_2020-03-1623_26_45-TheRulesoftheScottishProfessionalFootballLeague-SPFLRulesandRegulati.thumb.jpg.f8e731c5f125a594a88288ece86d6957.jpg

21 minutes ago, bennett said:

cvbvb.jpg.6149afd74adfef57e0eb0a897660313f.jpg

Of all the places for a sudden outpouring of  integrity / morallity to eminate from...

38 minutes ago, bennett said:

With 9 games and 27 points to play for anything could happen, you can't just say that celtic should get the title  because they'd have won it anyway.  It's called a season for a reason, 38 games must be played for it to be valid.

Well I can because in the balance of probability Rangers based on form won’t win 27 points out of 27 and Celtic based on current form won’t take 13 from a possible 24.

The integrity of the league must be upheld, this the new we don’t do walking away or the Rangers are coming. Get that on a t-shirt pronto before it becomes much needed toilet paper.

But since you mention integrity again does the results of the previous 30 matches hold less value than the next 8 fixtures where results are undetermined? 

The fact is the SPFL can end the season now if they wish as its otherwise determined by the board. That doesn’t undermine sporting integrity in the slightest as the notion of 38 games must being played is superseded by the above point. If UEFA get involved then that precedent has all ready been set.

I’d quite happily put any sum of money on this being simply a formality and look forward to the explosion, threats of legal action and our Govan neighbours going tonto like it’s 2012.

Worst case scenario is that the remaining games get played, Celtic will in all probability win the league. A point pretty much conceded by all sane Rangers men as quoted by your fellow bear just some posts ago

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Well I can because in the balance of probability Rangers based on form won’t win 27 points out of 27 and Celtic based on current form won’t take 13 from a possible 24.

The integrity of the league must be upheld, this the new we don’t do walking away or the Rangers are coming. Get that on a t-shirt pronto before it becomes much needed toilet paper.

But since you mention integrity again does the results of the previous 30 matches hold less value than the next 8 fixtures where results are undetermined? 

The fact is the SPFL can end the season now if they wish as its otherwise determined by the board. That doesn’t undermine sporting integrity in the slightest as the notion of 38 games must being played is superseded by the above point. If UEFA get involved then that precedent has all ready been set.

I’d quite happily put any sum of money on this being simply a formality and look forward to the explosion, threats of legal action and our Govan neighbours going tonto like it’s 2012.

Worst case scenario is that the remaining games get played, Celtic will in all probability win the league. A point pretty much conceded by all sane Rangers men as quoted by your fellow bear just some posts ago

Have Celtic won the league this season?

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why would they have to "close the season" to award prize money? It is within their power to award prize money however and whenever they want. As the SPFL outlined in their statement earlier, the prize money is paid in installments over the season anyway, and clubs are due (and will get) another payment in April.

If that’s the case I’ll concede the point and stand corrected but how can prize money be paid when the final rankings aren’t known? The maximum that could be paid to any team by April is £1.12 million since that’s the reward for finishing 12th? Which means 11 other clubs would be indeed missing out on much needed revenue surely

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

What you think may or may not happen in any or all of the unplayed fixtures matters not a jot. If yer’ auntie had baws. I posed the question in another post. At 4-1 up at half time in the recent cup game, would you have said St Mirren would need penalties to eventually beat Motherwell? At half time in Istanbul, would you have said AC Milan were certs’ to be European champs? Of course you would. When the dust settles, if Celtic are indeed awarded this season’s title, it will be tainted. Absolutely. If St Mirren are declared safe, it will be because the coronavirus crisis came into play and cemented our status just after we happened to beat Hearts.

9 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

a. what? b. says who?

1951522586_2020-03-1623_26_45-TheRulesoftheScottishProfessionalFootballLeague-SPFLRulesandRegulati.thumb.jpg.f8e731c5f125a594a88288ece86d6957.jpg

This is not the silver bullet argument which people seem to think it is. SPFL rule C13 states that the Premiership season should consist of 38 matches, and the fact that the word "Season" is defined in that way in the glossary doesn't override that rule.

The statement in the glossary simply notes that the SPFL Board with has the flexibility to move the season end date to a different later date if necessary (for example if the Scottish Cup final took place after the final match). The dates are generally determined in advance of the season.

1177951670_ScreenShot2020-03-16at23_42_52.thumb.png.183a9f31d3a11ad14008ce1473ad333b.png

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

This is completely irrelevant. You can't base any sort of decision on this logic. It is still possible for Rangers to win the league, just as it is still possible for other teams lower down the divisions to win their leagues (for example Raith are only a point clear of Falkirk). And anyway, Celtic have already lost to Rangers and Livingston this season and also dropped points against Hibs, so it is certainly plausible that they could repeat those results in the remaining fixtures and drop 10 points.

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

If that’s the case I’ll concede the point and stand corrected but how can prize money be paid when the final rankings aren’t known? The maximum that could be paid to any team by April is £1.12 million since that’s the reward for finishing 12th? Which means 11 other clubs would be indeed missing out on much needed revenue surely

You've just said that you think the SPFL board can decide league placings at an arbitrary point in the season, but you can't work out how prize money could be paid? They can decide to distribute it however they want - they could base it on current league placings, they could split it evenly between all clubs (unlikely) or they could do something in between.

None of that necessitates the actual league being declared complete.

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Split the money evenly between teams, it's the right thing to do in the circumstances. 

11 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Theres still 9 games to play so it's not done and dusted but celtic fans and celtic obviously will do all they can to get the title handed to them. I reckon that they'll get their way on this. 

21 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

a. what? b. says who?

Of all the places for a sudden outpouring of  integrity / morallity to eminate from...

There's another section of the rules that I've seen which states that a season comprises of 38 games, the lawyers will have a field day over that.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is not the silver bullet argument which people seem to think it is ...

8 minutes ago, bennett said:

There's another section of the rules that I've seen which states that a season comprises of 38 games, the lawyers will have a field day over that.

I stand corrected 👍 I stopped reading the .pdf after the definition of season.

my other point stands😉

Edited by TommyDickFingers
Clarity

45 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Do you seriously think it’s inconceivable that Celtic could drop 10 points from their remaining fixtures ?

Whilst  it’s maybe unlikely ,  it’s hardly outwith the realms of possibility.

The Hvns beat them the last time they met and outplayed them in the League Cup Final.   It is therefore unreasonable to simply assume that Celtic wouldn’t lose their next two games against the Hvns.  Certainly not inconceivable that Celtic could lose both games.

Celtic have failed to beat Livingston in two of their three matches against them this season. Certainly not inconceivable that Celtic could draw their next match against Livvy. 

Celtic drew away to Hibs earlier this season. Therefore , unreasonable to assume that Celtic would win their next match away to Hibs.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is not the silver bullet argument which people seem to think it is. SPFL rule C13 states that the Premiership season should consist of 38 matches, and the fact that the word "Season" is defined in that way in the glossary doesn't override that rule.

The statement in the glossary simply notes that the SPFL Board with has the flexibility to move the season end date to a different later date if necessary (for example if the Scottish Cup final took place after the final match). The dates are generally determined in advance of the season.

1177951670_ScreenShot2020-03-16at23_42_52.thumb.png.183a9f31d3a11ad14008ce1473ad333b.png

This is completely irrelevant. You can't base any sort of decision on this logic. It is still possible for Rangers to win the league, just as it is still possible for other teams lower down the divisions to win their leagues (for example Raith are only a point clear of Falkirk). And anyway, Celtic have already lost to Rangers and Livingston this season and also dropped points against Hibs, so it is certainly plausible that they could repeat those results in the remaining fixtures and drop 10 points.

Rangers have also lost to Celtic this season and dropped points to Aberdeen, Hearts, Hamilton and St Johnstone so it’s just as plausible if not more so Rangers would also drop points so a bit of a moot point really. 

The “fairest” way to do anything is to finish this season whenever that may be and then after that look into how to readjust the calendar for the next one when you know what you are working with. You can’t simply render everything that’s happened as pointless (I guess everything is ultimately pointless but bare with me)  but you can’t just stop the league at this arbitrary point and define it finished. Any season to follow will have to be amended but at least going into it everyone will know what the deal is. Is it just me or does this just seem common sense to anyone else? Im sure there’s something I’m missing but that just seems the most obvious and fairest way