Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

20 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

The most challenging thing ever to hit our sport?

Come on Neil, that's a load of pish. Two world wars?

Tbf that would be pretty straight forward. All football is stopped until it's done.

Far more variables for this.

Tbf that would be pretty straight forward. All football is stopped until it's done.
Far more variables for this.
Which wasn't the case though, was it. They played on in one way or another.

The point is that there has been bigger challenges. There's no doubt that it's a very difficult situation at the minute but to suggest it's the worst thing that's ever happened is ludicrous, at best.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Scottish league actually continued through the first world war (although Division two was cancelled)

Celtic racked up a hat trick of titles  1914–15, 1915–16, 1916–17 before finishing as runner up to rangers in 1918

Hearts were runners up in 1915 but suffered a dreadfull injury crisis in 1916

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

The Scottish league actually continued through the first world war (although Division two was cancelled)
Celtic racked up a hat trick of titles  1914–15, 1915–16, 1916–17 before finishing as runner up to rangers in 1918
Hearts lost load of players, as did most clubs, thanks to WW1. Think it was McCrae's Battalion they were part of.

It really does further indicate that what Doncaster was slavering is garbage.

31 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Also Football was actually played during both World Wars - Summer Cup etc.

21 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Which wasn't the case though, was it. They played on in one way or another.

The point is that there has been bigger challenges. There's no doubt that it's a very difficult situation at the minute but to suggest it's the worst thing that's ever happened is ludicrous, at best.

16 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was meaning if it happened now.

If we joined a World War I'd expect all football to stop and the leagues to be voided.

Point I'm making is that the folk claiming this is an easy decision are miles out, as there is no right decision. We dont even know how long this is going to last to help make a decision.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, pansjambo said:
The SPFL own rules state that the season consists of 38 games

Yes, but we're talking about a hypothetical scenario where they choose to shorten next season. They would rewrite the rules for next season to say that it consists of 30 games or 33 games or whatever was agreed upon.

I agree if they want to change the rules for next season they can bash on but this season the rule book says 38 games.

Do you think they would award Killie the championship if Celtic could mathematically catch them?

46 minutes ago, The Master said:

The exact rule is:

Which seems fairly unambiguous (although "postpone" is an interesting inclusion if the intent behind that part is to avoid arguments around what constitutes "playing a match"). 

However, the rules also state that they can be amended in accordance with the Articles of Association. Unless there's something in there that prevents the SPFL from changing the rules during a season (and/or prevents them from changing the Articles to let them change the rules), I'm not sure Hearts would have much of a case. I haven't had a chance to check, though, if someone else wants to.

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Articles of Association of 15-Apr-19 (CURRENT).pdf

Remember - the SPFL is the clubs, so it would be the clubs changing their own rules via democratic vote. 

I would find it incredulous that the competition rules can be changed after the season has started...but then it is the SPFL/SFA we are talking about

I would find it incredulous that the competition rules can be changed after the season has started...but then it is the SPFL/SFA we are talking about
Pretty much every set of competition rules has an "extraordinary circumstances" clause in them. The same sort of thing will be happening with leagues all over the world.

8 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I've been wondering about the closed doors thing.

I'm not sure what I make of it.

Obviously, the 'content' has been paid for and the tv companies want it to be provided so they can show it and sell advertising etc.

However, how do UEFA feel about their top competition being shown naked. As in, with no crowd to provide the background and drama etc. It's hard to enjoy watching a game on tv with no crowd, and UEFA might consider this too damaging to the brand to tolerate.

I'm not sure what the call is.

There must be software that would allow them to simulate crowd noise - a human sliding a knob up and down!

They could even stick in some swearing so that the commentator could use the 'we apologise if you heard any bad language' line.

44 minutes ago, pansjambo said:

I agree if they want to change the rules for next season they can bash on but this season the rule book says 38 games.

Do you think they would award Killie the championship if Celtic could mathematically catch them?

If they finish the league, it's only going to get even more embarrassing for you Tarts.

A lot of people today coming out with cloud cuckoo land statements. The SFA inferring that the Scotland v Israel match and the Scottish Cup semi finals and final, may still be played on the due dates. What world are they living in? I would be amazed if there’s any major sport played here before autumn at the very earliest given what’s being said by health experts. Steven Gerrard saying that postponing the rest of the season until later in the year could have an adverse effect on the players. What do these people think is happening out there? This is nothing to do with football, this is life. If we don’t play any more football until next year because it’s not safe to do so, then so be it. Stevie should give Jurgen Klopp a call and take some advice from him. Basically, what these statements are missing, is that this is not Football’s decision.

2 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but FIFA (thanks to Uncle Sepp) has a reserve of 1 Billion Swiss Francs, if there was ever a time that the organisation could use that to bail out or give aid to struggling leagues/association it would be now.

I draw the analogy that rich people didn't get rich by giving money away.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

A lot of people today coming out with cloud cuckoo land statements. The SFA inferring that the Scotland v Israel match and the Scottish Cup semi finals and final, may still be played on the due dates. What world are they living in? I would be amazed if there’s any major sport played here before autumn at the very earliest given what’s being said by health experts. Steven Gerrard saying that postponing the rest of the season until later in the year could have an adverse effect on the players. What do these people think is happening out there? This is nothing to do with football, this is life. If we don’t play any more football until next year because it’s not safe to do so, then so be it. Stevie should give Jurgen Klopp a call and take some advice from him. Basically, what these statements are missing, is that this is not Football’s decision.

Yep, these idiots don't seem to realise that football as it is may not exist by the time this things gets sorted, some clubs may not still be here, some people def wont, this isn't like anything we've seen in peace time, and there are no footballing rules covering 'in the event of an coronavirus pandemic hitting the world and shutting down football'. 

2 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but FIFA (thanks to Uncle Sepp) has a reserve of 1 Billion Swiss Francs, if there was ever a time that the organisation could use that to bail out or give aid to struggling leagues/association it would be now.

Have you any idea how much cash is needed for brown envelopes through hotel doors for World Cup bids?