Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

The problem with shorting the next season is the same as ending this one early.  Say next season we only get 30 games.  Who’s to say a team like Hamilton would not stay up had they an extra 9 games to play.  Likewise any title won would be tainted as it’s not a full and proper season.  
There have been a variety of seasons of different lengths since Scottish football started. The first season had 18 games, while in the late 80s and early 90s there were sometimes seasons with 44 games.

As long as the rules are clear at the start it shouldn't be a problem.

4 hours ago, Horatio said:

The five Scottish League matches that had been played at the start of the 1939/40 were "expunged" from the records i.e. simply deleted as if they had never happened. The 25 remaining matches were never played. Season 1946/47 was a complete new season.

Okay - but where do you get that from? Are you the ghost of Bob Crampsey? I'm just going on wiki, which says otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939–40_in_Scottish_football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939–40_in_Scottish_football

Edit - I've misread that. Thinking 30 games played must have included the original 5. Apologies Mr Crampsey.

Edited by Pet Jeden

Yes you can. You can do whatever you want.

It’s going to be whichever case is feasible. This is way, way, way more important than “sporting integrity.”
That's why I said only start again when it's safe to do so. You cant just stop the league and give teams titles or relegate teams when all games aren't completed. If it cant be restarted then null and void it.

I’m not really disagreeing but say there was two points between Celtic and Rangers and Edouard and Mcgregor were injured in the second last game of the season.  Rangers fans would moan like f**k.  Your right that we should accept that the number of games we play is what we play.  But people being people.....

I’m not really disagreeing but say there was two points between Celtic and Rangers and Edouard and Mcgregor were injured in the second last game of the season.  Rangers fans would moan like f**k.  Your right that we should accept that the number of games we play is what we play.  But people being people.....
Folk moan about the split in the current system and we just acknowledge that they're wrong and get on with it.

10 minutes ago, The Master said:

That's Ann Budge threatening legal action if Hearts are relegated by the season finishing early.

I take it she’ll be getting slaughtered on social media for only caring about Hearts survival.  Just like Lennon a few days back.  Insensitive witch.  There’s morgues in Princes St Gardens!!!

Celtic will be handed the title. United and ICT will go up from the championship (Hearts won't be relegated) and Raith and Falkirk will come up to the championship. Playoffs for teams trying to get up to the premiership will be scrapped also.. This is just what I think they will do. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

There have been a variety of seasons of different lengths since Scottish football started. The first season had 18 games, while in the late 80s and early 90s there were sometimes seasons with 44 games.

As long as the rules are clear at the start it shouldn't be a problem.

The SPFL own rules state that the season consists of 38 games

2 hours ago, ftk said:

You can not change the rules of a competition after it has started.

Complete this season whenever it's safe to do so. If that means shortening next season then so be it.

No other option is acceptable!

1 hour ago, ftk said:
1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Yes you can. You can do whatever you want.

It’s going to be whichever case is feasible. This is way, way, way more important than “sporting integrity.”

That's why I said only start again when it's safe to do so. You cant just stop the league and give teams titles or relegate teams when all games aren't completed. If it cant be restarted then null and void it.

I'm guessing most people would agree with this, there is still plenty to play for at both ends of the league (similar in the other leagues too). Restarting the league when it's safe to do so would ensure that fairness and integrity wasn't compromised. 

But we may have to follow whatever UEFA comes up with and act accordingly, I've a feeling that they'll want their competitions back up running next season. That would mean that we'd have to have league placings  (in that scenario) for that to work and may not have time to finish this season. 

Yes, but we're talking about a hypothetical scenario where they choose to shorten next season. They would rewrite the rules for next season to say that it consists of 30 games or 33 games or whatever was agreed upon.

29 minutes ago, bennett said:

But we may have to follow whatever UEFA comes up with and act accordingly, I've a feeling that they'll want their competitions back up running next season. That would mean that we'd have to have league placings  (in that scenario) for that to work and may not have time to finish this season. 

A very good point.

They will not allow for an indefinite extension across the leagues. They'll want European competitions to start as close to the first date available as possible and voiding leagues will not help there either. 

Voiding the league means that you are effectively saying it didn't happen. Calling it as is is going to piss off several football clubs but voiding it is going to potentially open football up to legal proceedings from sponsors and broadcasters who have shown a full season of football that is effectively stricken from the books and meant nothing. When you think about broadcasters like Sky who show the EPL and pay around £1.2 billion or whatever a season to do so, there is potential for a significant backlash across all of world football here.

UEFA will almost certainly not leave themselves open to this possible outcome and for that reason, will dish out the direction to federations to call the placings as is. They won't be giving a toss about the issues of clubs all over Europe like Hearts, Rangers, Aston Villa or Bournemouth (who would be relegated from the EPL by a single goal)...any one of those and the legal challenge they present are small beer compared with your sponsors and broadcasters coming after you for telling then that season gone past should just be treated as a series of friendlies.

I mean, really.....is there an ideal scenario here that isn't going to have far reaching effects on someone? Certainly not one that I can see.

Edited by djchapsticks

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

A very good point.

They will not allow for an indefinite extension across the leagues. They'll want European competitions to start as close to the first date available as possible and voiding leagues will not help there either.

This does not prevent the league from being extended. Leagues could easily nominate clubs for European places based on their current positions, but still finish the actual season to determine promotion/relegation.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Voiding the league means that you are effectively saying it didn't happen. Calling it as is is going to piss off several football clubs but voiding it is going to potentially open football up to legal proceedings from sponsors and broadcasters who have shown a full season of football that is effectively stricken from the books and meant nothing. When you think about broadcasters like Sky who show the EPL and pay around £1.2 billion or whatever a season to do so, there is potential for a significant backlash across all of world football here.

I have read this argument elsewhere, but I don't buy it. The broadcasters showed the games and people watched them. The fact that they were later deemed to be void doesn't affect this in any meaningful way. If a game is abandoned or voided due to ineligible players (or some other rules breach) then the broadcasters don't ask for their money back.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

That's Ann Budge threatening legal action if Hearts are relegated by the season finishing early.

Exclusive footage from the Heart of Midlothian v SPFL lawsuit:

Spoiler

Image result for judge judy reaction

42 minutes ago, pansjambo said:

The exact rule is:

C14  The Clubs for the time being entitled in terms of these Rules to participate in the Premiership shall, disregarding any abandoned or postponed matches, play in 38 League Matches in any one Season.

Which seems fairly unambiguous (although "postpone" is an interesting inclusion if the intent behind that part is to avoid arguments around what constitutes "playing a match"). 

However, the rules also state that they can be amended in accordance with the Articles of Association. Unless there's something in there that prevents the SPFL from changing the rules during a season (and/or prevents them from changing the Articles to let them change the rules), I'm not sure Hearts would have much of a case. I haven't had a chance to check, though, if someone else wants to.

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Articles of Association of 15-Apr-19 (CURRENT).pdf

Remember - the SPFL is the clubs, so it would be the clubs changing their own rules via democratic vote.