Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

I can't wait to hear about this. It will tell us a lot about the importance of tv money.

It seems unbelievable that the competitions will go ahead, but then how do big clubs pay their wages without tv money?

It's going to be fascinating.

We both know that the money is everything at the top level. There will be a massive push to get the competitions on next season, even if it's behind closed doors.

It's been mentioned on here many times about the financial bubble the top sides and the top 2 flights in England exist in. Could it be about to pop ?

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

We both know that the money is everything at the top level. There will be a massive push to get the competitions on next season, even if it's behind closed doors.

It's been mentioned on here many times about the financial bubble the top sides and the top 2 flights in England exist in. Could it be about to pop ?

I've been wondering about the closed doors thing.

I'm not sure what I make of it.

Obviously, the 'content' has been paid for and the tv companies want it to be provided so they can show it and sell advertising etc.

However, how do UEFA feel about their top competition being shown naked. As in, with no crowd to provide the background and drama etc. It's hard to enjoy watching a game on tv with no crowd, and UEFA might consider this too damaging to the brand to tolerate.

I'm not sure what the call is.

53 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Could do. Might not do.

Like I said previously, part of the problem is that we have no idea about the 'when' of this. People advocating finishing the season are saying that it should be done due to fairness. While I have sympathy with that, we don't know when it will be possible, we don't know how teams will put a squad together, we don't know what will follow the conclusion of this season, and there's obviously a lack of legitimacy to the whole thing.

Also, who wants to win the Covid-19 Cup?

I think we're better off making a decision now on how we are going to re-start so that when the time comes that football can begin again, whether in 6 months, 9 months, a year, whatever, clubs know what budgets they have and are able to make informed offers to players. This allows clubs to plan for their futures at a difficult time and avoids asking players to take the risk of a short-term contract, which most would like to avoid.

I think it's just more sensible to have a plan and structure ready to go at two months' notice and one day the authorities can say 'GO' and we all know where we stand. I understand the desire to finish the season, I just think that ship has sailed past a reasonable point.

I think that it is doable to in finish the current league season.

We could aim to resume the current season in August/September (with or without the 2020 League Cup depending on how things pan out time wise) and then finish the league fixtures by mid November. Then we could have a one off half-season where the prize money is distributed much more equitably through the structure (designed to protect teams a bit further if they drop a league than the parachute payment does) and then resume to normality in 2021.

I agree with you that the biggest budgeting issue is having certainty but, whilst having a guaranteed league position may help teams anticipating the quantity of funds heading their way, the driver of that issue is going to be the resume date and that's the part we don't really have control over. We could make things as straight forward as possible and just come out with a firm void/current standings verdict today (as we could come out with the sort of plan I've mentioned) but the main problem is that it's going to be difficult to assess how likely that is.

Edited by harry94

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, harry94 said:

We could aim to resume the current season in August/September (with or without the 2020 League Cup depending on how things pan out time wise) and then finish the league fixtures by mid November. Then we could have a one off half-season where the prize money is distributed much more equitably through the structure (designed to protect teams a bit further if they drop a league than the parachute payment does) and then resume to normality in 2021.

I agree with you that the biggest budgeting issue is having certainty but, whilst having a guaranteed league position may help teams anticipating the quantity of funds heading their way, the driver of that issue is going to be the resume date and that's the part we don't really have control over. We could make things as straight forward as possible and just come out with a firm void/current standings verdict today (as we could come out with the sort of plan I've mentioned) but the main problem is that it's going to be difficult to assess how likely that is.

That's kind of my main point.

We're going on estimates of how the virus is going to behave and how effective public measures are going to be.

The longer we wait, the harder it is for clubs to make plans.

Just tell clubs where they stand and move on. Then when the time comes, we start again with certainty.

30 minutes ago, harry94 said:

If the season were to restart in August, it could be done by the second week of September by playing two games a week for a month (+1 week for Sevco v St Johnstone). 

You could then look towards starting the new season on Saturday 3rd October. Scrapping the League Cup, the winter break and Scottish Cup replays might just allow enough midweeks to be squeezed out for a May 2021 finish.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

Could do. Might not do.

Like I said previously, part of the problem is that we have no idea about the 'when' of this. People advocating finishing the season are saying that it should be done due to fairness. While I have sympathy with that, we don't know when it will be possible, we don't know how teams will put a squad together, we don't know what will follow the conclusion of this season, and there's obviously a lack of legitimacy to the whole thing.

Also, who wants to win the Covid-19 Cup?

I think we're better off making a decision now on how we are going to re-start so that when the time comes that football can begin again, whether in 6 months, 9 months, a year, whatever, clubs know what budgets they have and are able to make informed offers to players. This allows clubs to plan for their futures at a difficult time and avoids asking players to take the risk of a short-term contract, which most would like to avoid.

I think it's just more sensible to have a plan and structure ready to go at two months' notice and one day the authorities can say 'GO' and we all know where we stand. I understand the desire to finish the season, I just think that ship has sailed past a reasonable point.

There is a precedent. The 1939-40 season was stopped after 5 matches. Didn't start again until 1946-47 when they played the remaining 25 matches. Different times, obviously. But if it was possible in the interests of fairness to wait 7 years to finish a league programme, with entirely different players, then surely we can live with a delay of maybe 1 year?

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

There is a precedent. The 1939-40 season was stopped after 5 matches. Didn't start again until 1946-47 when they played the remaining 25 matches. Different times, obviously. But if it was possible in the interests of fairness to wait 7 years to finish a league programme, with entirely different players, then surely we can live with a delay of maybe 1 year?

Different competition with a different rulebook under a different governing body. Eighty years ago.

I don't see a lot of relevance.

Also, the idea of precedent is interesting. Just because they did that 80 years ago doesn't mean it is a good idea. I think delaying the league by seven years and picking up in the same place is a ludicrous idea and the organisers must have been utter diddies.

15 minutes ago, The Master said:

If the season were to restart in August, it could be done by the second week of September by playing two games a week for a month (+1 week for Sevco v St Johnstone). 

You could then look towards starting the new season on Saturday 3rd October. Scrapping the League Cup, the winter break and Scottish Cup replays might just allow enough midweeks to be squeezed out for a May 2021 finish.

Only issue might be the prize money. Could some teams survive without it until then?

(Genuinely dont know, btw, just spitballing)

The longer the delay the higher the chance of clubs folding. Are people seriously suggesting trying to complete this season 6 months from now? The lower leagues could be decimated by then. A decision will be taken by UEFA and Scotland will just have to go along with it.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

The longer the delay the higher the chance of clubs folding. Are people seriously suggesting trying to complete this season 6 months from now? The lower leagues could be decimated by then. A decision will be taken by UEFA and Scotland will just have to go along with it.

How quickly do you expect football to be possible again?

The five Scottish League matches that had been played at the start of the 1939/40 were "expunged" from the records i.e. simply deleted as if they had never happened. The 25 remaining matches were never played. Season 1946/47 was a complete new season.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only issue might be the prize money. Could some teams survive without it until then?

(Genuinely dont know, btw, just spitballing)

That's true.

Maybe partial money? There must be some teams outside the top 2 that are now guaranteed top 6 (so give them the prize money for 6th now). Are any other clubs guaranteed to finish no lower than a certain position?

Is it also still the case that every team gets the minimum prize money (i.e. based on finishing 12th) early doors in the season? 

Edited by The Master

I thought - purely for cashflow reasons - that there would be little interest in trying to complete this season in August or beyond, simply as clubs will want as much prize money released as soon as possible (including the "success based" money) to tide them over until they can release players at the end of their contracts and start to get some season ticket revenue in....

39 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

How this season is resolved is a secondary issue for me.

Main focus for Scottish football is the survival of clubs and the protection of players/employees. This is a monumentally serious situation for the whole game. Who gives a f**k about 9 in a row or whatever else. Relegations are relevant only because the financial implications for clubs.

How quickly do you expect football to be possible again?

No idea. But realistically the only sensible thing to do is end the season now, assuming no resumption by the end of April. All league places stand. New season to begin as normal. Obviously there will be winners and losers but there really is no alternative.

How this season is resolved is a secondary issue for me.
Main focus for Scottish football is the survival of clubs and the protection of players/employees. This is a monumentally serious situation for the whole game. Who gives a f**k about 9 in a row or whatever else. Relegations are relevant only because the financial implications for clubs.

Spot on. Couldn’t agree more

10 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

No idea. But realistically the only sensible thing to do is end the season now, assuming no resumption by the end of April. All league places stand. New season to begin as normal. Obviously there will be winners and losers but there really is no alternative.

Well better phone UEFA and FIFA and tell them not to waste there time with solutions to all this 

You've viewed all the information and came to the only plausible conclusion that there is no alternative to ending the season now.

Think a lot of yourself I see.

Well better phone UEFA and FIFA and tell them not to waste there time with solutions to all this 
You've viewed all the information and came to the only plausible conclusion that there is no alternative to ending the season now.
Think a lot of yourself I see.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]