Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

Guest JTS98
5 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

That is a much better shout than it's going to be given credit for. Talk of cancelling domestic cup competitions is mental. If a league season was knocked on the head (20/21 for example) to give the 19/20  leagues/cups time to reach their conclusion with fans in attendance, then an empty league year could work.

I get the thinking behind this, obviously.

But let's take the Scottish Cup, for example. There's a reasonable chance that our semi-final with Hibs could be played the best part of a year after it was scheduled to be originally. I think that takes us into 'what's the point?' territory.

Going through the process of playing semis and a final so late that hardly anybody will even remember the quarter finals and where loads of players might have come and gone from all the teams involved just seems like an exercise in box-ticking that would leave nobody satisfied.

It will be pointless from the angle of European qualification, since I doubt there'll be any competitions to qualify for, and even then it's likely to take place too late.

It just seems like dragging something out that will get in the way of moving on once the path is clear for football to start again. Will anyone want to look back on having won the 'Covid Cup' if lots of people have died and lost their jobs and savings over this? I think this will be an era society will want to just learn from and put behind us.

Best to just move on, for me. It's only a game.

Edited by JTS98

Didn't the league get suspended during the wars? Not sure of the ins and outs of it but im sure someone on here does and could share what happened. Would it be possible to follow the same protocol as then? Or at least use it as a guide?

Edited by Cptn Hooch

17 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Didn't the league get suspended during the wars? Not sure of the ins and outs of it but im sure someone on here does and could share what happened. Would it be possible to follow the same protocol as then? Or at least use it as a guide?

St Johnstone finished 8th in the last season before the war. In the first full post-war season we were dumped into the Second Division. So no thanks.

41 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

WW2 saw the 39-40 season cancelled at the outbreak of war - which was September. Slightly different!

As there was no deadly virus about, clubs played on in regional leagues.

Edited by cmontheloknow

There are two options, as we have now played 30 games which is more than enough. 

1. Declare Celtic as Champions (fair - it is absolutely inevitable) and Hearts as automatically relegated (fair - they have been the worst team this season and worst team for over a year).  No play-offs. 
  2. Whenever season 2020/21 is "ready" to go ahead, we finish this season even if it is next year.  It will mean teams finishing the season probably with very different squads.  Celtic will still be champions and Hearts will still be relegated IMO. 

Declaring the season null and void can simply not happen.  The legal repercussions of doing so are massive as every single fan across all clubs would have cause to claim refunds/rebates on tickets, player contracts would be a minefield etc. 

The only thing stopping a sensible decision would be an ungracious/unclassy Sevco (and/or Hearts) effort to stop common sense prevailing.  Just need to take this one on the chin and move on lads.

Guest JTS98

According to the Guardian, Public Health England told NHS staff in a secret briefing that they expect the virus to circulate for 12 months.

Finishing the season is not going to happen. All the talk of fairness in the world doesn't change the fact that it's just not viable.

Guest JTS98
8 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Declaring the season null and void can simply not happen.  The legal repercussions of doing so are massive as every single fan across all clubs would have cause to claim refunds/rebates on tickets, player contracts would be a minefield etc. 

Player contracts are actually one of the main reasons it probably won't happen.

Also, I find it unlikely that fans will risk bankrupting their clubs by claiming back eighty quid each on season tickets.

It's possible that the decision will be taken out of Doncaster and co's hands. 

UEFA meet tomorrow ? If they plan to run Continental competitions next season, they may demand that leagues are finished by x date or the current standings are final.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's possible that the decision will be taken out of Doncaster and co's hands. 

UEFA meet tomorrow ? If they plan to run Continental competitions next season, they may demand that leagues are finished by x date or the current standings are final.

I can't wait to hear about this. It will tell us a lot about the importance of tv money.

It seems unbelievable that the competitions will go ahead, but then how do big clubs pay their wages without tv money?

It's going to be fascinating.

According to the Guardian, Public Health England told NHS staff in a secret briefing that they expect the virus to circulate for 12 months.
Finishing the season is not going to happen. All the talk of fairness in the world doesn't change the fact that it's just not viable.
If it happens for 12 months then finish this season this time next year on roughly the same dates and then kick of 2021/22 as scheduled.

However, the virus lasting 12 months does not necessarily mean no sport for 12 months. It may be more or less dormant in the summer and then back next winter. Anyone claiming they know for sure how this is going to work is kidding themselves on, but Public Health England (and similar authorities) are quite rightly looking at worst case scenarios.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If it happens for 12 months then finish this season this time next year on roughly the same dates and then kick of 2021/22 as scheduled.

However, the virus lasting 12 months does not necessarily mean no sport for 12 months. It may be more or less dormant in the summer and then back next winter. Anyone claiming they know for sure how this is going to work is kidding themselves on, but Public Health England (and similar authorities) are quite rightly looking at worst case scenarios.

That's certainly possible, but again I'd venture that finishing a season a year late is as good as just not bothering to finish it.

What's the point? It would have hardly any sporting legitimacy at all but would take up time that could be spent just starting a new season.

9 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

You shouldn't be allowed to label anyone as a fanny after that post.

My Team: Hearts. I feel your pain*

*Was only kidding, have posted more than once that I want to see them find a way to play out this season, with a truncated following season. 🙂

That's certainly possible, but again I'd venture that finishing a season a year late is as good as just not bothering to finish it.
What's the point? It would have hardly any sporting legitimacy at all but would take up time that could be spent just starting a new season.
It would keep the schedule right since we'd be kicking off again in March.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, craigkillie said:
10 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It would keep the schedule right since we'd be kicking off again in March.

Could do. Might not do.

Like I said previously, part of the problem is that we have no idea about the 'when' of this. People advocating finishing the season are saying that it should be done due to fairness. While I have sympathy with that, we don't know when it will be possible, we don't know how teams will put a squad together, we don't know what will follow the conclusion of this season, and there's obviously a lack of legitimacy to the whole thing.

Also, who wants to win the Covid-19 Cup?

I think we're better off making a decision now on how we are going to re-start so that when the time comes that football can begin again, whether in 6 months, 9 months, a year, whatever, clubs know what budgets they have and are able to make informed offers to players. This allows clubs to plan for their futures at a difficult time and avoids asking players to take the risk of a short-term contract, which most would like to avoid.

I think it's just more sensible to have a plan and structure ready to go at two months' notice and one day the authorities can say 'GO' and we all know where we stand. I understand the desire to finish the season, I just think that ship has sailed past a reasonable point.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Three days ago we were still planning to keep playing, so I don't think we can say the ship has sailed yet. Things are changing rapidly, and I don't see the need to make a rushed decision now.

Agreed.

What I would suggest is now for clubs to come up with proposals and time frames. For example if the closure goes past a certain date then the Scottish Cup gets binned. Would also factor in another transfer window should it drag past June. If it goes past another stage then next seasons league cup gets binned. And so on and so on. That way clubs know what could happen at each date and attempt to budget/plan accordingly.