Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

On 15/03/2020 at 16:15, Mr Waldo said:

Its 

It's the SPFL board who'll decide. 

Rangers, Motherwell and Accies from the Premiership.

Okay. If it is their decision alone, then logic and self-interest would suggest the board members' preferences should be :-

Rangers          1)  Void it.    2) Play it out.   3) Declare as stands.

Motherwell     1) Declare as stands.   2) Play it out.   3) Void it.

Accies             1)  Void it.  2) Declare it as stands (not incl play offs).  3) Play it out (incl play offs).  

Dunfermline   1) Play it out (incl play offs).  2) Void it.   3) Declare it as stands.

Ayr                     1=)  Play it out (incl play offs)     1=)  Declare as stands (but incl play offs).    3) Void it.

Brechin             1) Void it.   2) Declare as stands   3) Play it out incl play offs.

So I would expect only Motherwell to be clear cut supporters of declaring it as it stands. They get Europa, Celtic are champs. Hearts are down. Possibly Ayr too, but they need  to argue for the illogicality of wanting it called now but then hopefully have play offs squeezed in sometime. I would expect Rangers and Brechin (adrift at the bottom) to die in a ditch for voiding it. Accies should logically too - it means survival  in the top flight - whenever that can restart. But then again, they might go for the option that offers them the longest odds bet at a Nigerian branch of Ladbrokes. Dunfermline should want the chance to play and try to overtake Ayr.

So, unless stupidity or unexpectedly large and immediate money incentives sway votes a different way, null and void it is. No?

Edit: If Motherwell are now getting paid the prize money anyway for being 3rd, then they probably lose the motivation to argue (alone) for declaring it as it stands.

Edited by Pet Jeden

Should it be  too onerous to complete the season it would be an opportunity to finally give the majority of fans what they want. Rangers fans were for the last fortnight conceding that Celtic had won the Premiership. So, let's all be grown up about this and at the same time apply some common sense;

Premiership:   Champions:  Celtic.  No relegation.

Championship:  Top four promoted to Premiership to form a new 16-team league.  No relegation.

League One:  Top four promoted to Championship. No relegation.

League Two:   Top four promoted to League One. No relegation.  Four New  Entrants to SPFL.

Taking into account the possibility that there could be a long delay to the start of the season, a 30-match season for the top division, playing home and away against each opponent, could counteract the effects of fixture congestion.

To address the fixture congestion problem in the lower leagues, adapting to a 27-match schedule, playing three times against each opponent, for at least one  season, could resolve that issue. 

This seems to me a reasonably satisfactory way to avoid upsetting clubs, fans etc. and would be fair to everyone.

The fans want a bigger top division ?  Sorted

Some clubs unhappy about being relegated without completing the league season ? Sorted

Teams disappointed about no play-offs for promotion ? Sorted

The fans and players are bored with playing teams four times ? Sorted

Highland and Lowland teams desperate to join the senior set-up ? Sorted

The only problem with that is Sky demand 4 OF games a season.  That will only give them 2.  Sky will have to ok it.  But them being them they will expect a reduction in monies being paid.  The bigot bros will not accept that.  Nor will they be happy about not being able to fleece an extra £10-15 per fan for the bi annual hate fest at Ibrox or Parkhead.

Guest Flash
5 hours ago, Mr Waldo said:

Its 

It's the SPFL board who'll decide. 

Rangers, Motherwell and Accies from the Premiership.

Would it not require an alteration of the rules to void the season or have it finish early? For example, Rule C14 says Premiership clubs have to play 38 games. Changing that needs an ordinary resolution which requires 75% of the clubs in each division to approve. It is possible I’m reading it wrong or have missed something that allows the Board to decide.

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Irrespective of when football is back on the agenda, the first priority is to complete 19-20 season.

That has to happen - even if football is not allowed to resume until this time next year.

If that means that 20-21 does not exist, then so be it. 19=20 has to be brought to its natural and foreseen conclusion before anything else can move forward.

That is a much better shout than it's going to be given credit for. Talk of cancelling domestic cup competitions is mental. If a league season was knocked on the head (20/21 for example) to give the 19/20  leagues/cups time to reach their conclusion with fans in attendance, then an empty league year could work.

To give the 'missing' league season a chance to bring in fans and revenue, then something like the old Anglo-Scottish Cup could be resurrected.

Edited by LincolnHearts

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

Would it not require an alteration of the rules to void the season or have it finish early? For example, Rule C14 says Premiership clubs have to play 38 games. Changing that needs an ordinary resolution which requires 75% of the clubs in each division to approve. It is possible I’m reading it wrong or have missed something that allows the Board to decide.

Not sure sky will be in their usual dominant position. They are going to be bleeding subscribers and cash at a huge rate as previously docile customers ditch their sport channels with no sport for the next 6 months. Then maybe eventually get back to sports viewing via Now TV or BT

Should it be  too onerous to complete the season it would be an opportunity to finally give the majority of fans what they want. Rangers fans were for the last fortnight conceding that Celtic had won the Premiership. So, let's all be grown up about this and at the same time apply some common sense;
Premiership:   Champions:  Celtic.  No relegation.
Championship:  Top four promoted to Premiership to form a new 16-team league.  No relegation.
League One:  Top four promoted to Championship. No relegation.
League Two:   Top four promoted to League One. No relegation.  Four New  Entrants to SPFL.
Taking into account the possibility that there could be a long delay to the start of the season, a 30-match season for the top division, playing home and away against each opponent, could counteract the effects of fixture congestion.
To address the fixture congestion problem in the lower leagues, adapting to a 27-match schedule, playing three times against each opponent, for at least one  season, could resolve that issue. 
This seems to me a reasonably satisfactory way to avoid upsetting clubs, fans etc. and would be fair to everyone.
The fans want a bigger top division ?  Sorted
Some clubs unhappy about being relegated without completing the league season ? Sorted
Teams disappointed about no play-offs for promotion ? Sorted
The fans and players are bored with playing teams four times ? Sorted
Highland and Lowland teams desperate to join the senior set-up ? Sorted

I would love this to happen tbh. Always wanted a 16 team top flight.

The discussion on sport sound was similar except they discussed promoting the top 2 from every league. I would also be happy with that.

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

f**k off with this 16 team pish. It'll make shite like Morton and Dunfermline sort of half relevant again. Keep the dross in a lower league, no point in highlighting how shite they are on national TV.

But it would bring back your 'Derby' Tam.

4 hours ago, edinabear said:

There is no way that celtic should be awarded the league with 2 old firm games left and with Rangers still with a game in hand. It's the morally right thing to do to maintain sporting integrity 

Don't know if serious.

Rangers and sporting integrity just doesn't seem right somehow. 

f**k off with this 16 team pish. It'll make shite like Morton and Dunfermline sort of half relevant again. Keep the dross in a lower league, no point in highlighting how shite they are on national TV.

Nah man, the current standings would mean Dundee and Ayr come up with United and Caley. Dundee derbies and away days to Ayr and the Highlands.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Since the decision to stop playing football was taken, and was clearly going to be stopped for a good while, my first thought was ‘what would be the best solution’. Now, having read all sorts of ideas, read all sorts of rumours, and having just endured my first weekend without fitba’, my attitude has changed. I now want Doncaster and his fellow fannies to announce the worst plan ever. The most ridiculous idea for when football finally resumes. One that fcuks over Celtic and Hearts. The Sevco too. Dundee United can fcuk off too. Dundee, irrelvant as they are now, hope Doncaster’s new cunning plan shafts you right up the arse too. Everyone who harboured a playoff hope - get it roon’ ye’. Dunfermline and Morton maybe eyeing a coronavirus route to an expanded top flight... hope you get hee-haw. Just for a laugh. Come on Cockwomble, give us a plan as cunning as Hearts replacing Levein with that Stendel knobjockey. 

You shouldn't be allowed to label anyone as a fanny after that post.

22 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Nah man, the current standings would mean Dundee and Ayr come up with United and Caley. Dundee derbies and away days to Ayr and the Highlands.

Dundee and Ayr? You seriously think that would improve the football in the top flight? 

At least we'd never be relegated again.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Dundee and Ayr? You seriously think that would improve the football in the top flight? 

At least we'd never be relegated again.

It might not improve the football but it would improve your forum experience.

39 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Since the decision to stop playing football was taken, and was clearly going to be stopped for a good while, my first thought was ‘what would be the best solution’. Now, having read all sorts of ideas, read all sorts of rumours, and having just endured my first weekend without fitba’, my attitude has changed. I now want Doncaster and his fellow fannies to announce the worst plan ever. The most ridiculous idea for when football finally resumes. One that fcuks over Celtic and Hearts. The Sevco too. Dundee United can fcuk off too. Dundee, irrelvant as they are now, hope Doncaster’s new cunning plan shafts you right up the arse too. Everyone who harboured a playoff hope - get it roon’ ye’. Dunfermline and Morton maybe eyeing a coronavirus route to an expanded top flight... hope you get hee-haw. Just for a laugh. Come on Cockwomble, give us a plan as cunning as Hearts replacing Levein with that Stendel knobjockey. 

Edgy 

wiggo.png