Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

Haven't read any of the rest of the thread (been too busy in the seaside threads) so apologies if this has been said already. I think they should take the chance that the extended season creates to change over to summer football. Extend this season to late in 2020, shut down for winter, then start a full season in early 2021. 

I’m presuming that if the season is declared void, Celtic’s bid for nine in a row will restart at zero. They will have done well to get to eight in a row, with a treble treble as well, but they wouldn’t have season 2019/20 in their record books, so everything back to the start for me. 

If possible aim to play the last 3 games and forget about the split. Same in Championship. Gives teams a chance to change their League position using their current squad and circumstances. I would not like this season just to be written off. Finish it somehow.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’m presuming that if the season is declared void, Celtic’s bid for nine in a row will restart at zero. They will have done well to get to eight in a row, with a treble treble as well, but they wouldn’t have season 2019/20 in their record books, so everything back to the start for me. 

BDCA1024-1331-40E4-A482-D1AC60E150F4.gif

49 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I think people who are advocating just starting again in August are underestimating factors like the international games that will have to be squeezed in and the potential for travel still being seriously curtailed. Some people seem to still believe this will be ok in a month or so, which is baffling. It won't.

I agree completely with your final point. Football doesn't bring out our most grown up, rational behaviour, but this is just something that has happened that nobody can do anything about. Losing our heads about a title being awarded or not, or being relegated or not is just childish nonsense.

Celtic deserve the title, and if it was up to me, I'd probably give it to them, but the bottom line is that they haven't won it. What can you do? Nobody asked for this.

I don’t mean to suggest that the season will def start as normal come August, only that trying to find a way to finish this season, thereby causing an even bigger backlog, makes it even harder.

Re the last point, I agree that the likes of Celtic and Liverpool have probably won the title already but there are plenty of leagues in Scotland and England that are much tighter and that are not so certain. Likewise with relegation, some are obviously already down and some still have a good chance of survival. Not all teams have played the same no of games so it would not be fair to say ok, X is your final position. 

Any decision has to be applied to everyone and since nobody has mathematically actually won anything yet, voiding it is probably the way to go. Yeah there’s a few unhappy clubs but it’s the option with the least foreseeable knock on effects. Yes there might be challenges in court but there will be either way,  and given the reasoning I’m not sure how strong a court case would really be. It’s an unprecedented event and decisions are being forced onto the associations,  they haven’t chosen to do this.

eta - I mention England as we will just do whatever England does, so it’s relevant here!

Edited by Jambomo

Trying to finish this season is only likely to end up causing more of an issue by having a knock on effect to next season. 

It is better to declare it finished now and either 1) Declare the table as they are at present or 2) void the season and start afresh as is next season.

Nobody will be happy with either of those options but I think there will be a lot of having to accept it and moving on as tbf, this is a particularly unforeseen event and I can’t blame the SFA or even UEFA etc for not having a ready answer here.

It’s going to be a case of compensating the teams that don’t go up. Every other team will be just fine in that situation. Dundee United, basically, will be pretty raging. I don’t really see any other reasonable solution, other than truncating next season.

Football will be back when it's safe to be back but the clubs might not. Might not make a huge amount of difference but would suggest now is the time to buy that shirt from the club shop. Take that £25 you were going to spend today and subscribe to your teams TV channel. Go and have a meal at the restaurant.

16 minutes ago, PSJSaint said:

.. subscribe to your teams TV channel. Go and have a meal at the restaurant.

So in order to make sure the young healthy people (least at risk) who play professional football outdoors (less risky than working indoors) can continue to be paid their above average salaries, all the while expecting the supermarkets, internet, utilities etc to keep running, we should:

1) subscribe to the tv channel when the PFA vetoed playing games behind closed doors on said tv channels

2) take our not so healthy, not so young arses down to the enclosed environment of a restaurant and put ourselves and the staff at substantially more risk than the players would have been exposed to.

Edited by bendan

22 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s going to be a case of compensating the teams that don’t go up. Every other team will be just fine in that situation. Dundee United, basically, will be pretty raging. I don’t really see any other reasonable solution, other than truncating next season.

Yeah I agree, offer those who don’t go up some compensation for it. 

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

I think people who are advocating just starting again in August are underestimating factors like the international games that will have to be squeezed in and the potential for travel still being seriously curtailed. Some people seem to still believe this will be ok in a month or so, which is baffling. It won't.

I agree completely with your final point. Football doesn't bring out our most grown up, rational behaviour, but this is just something that has happened that nobody can do anything about. Losing our heads about a title being awarded or not, or being relegated or not is just childish nonsense.

Celtic deserve the title, and if it was up to me, I'd probably give it to them, but the bottom line is that they haven't won it. What can you do? Nobody asked for this.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Trying to finish this season is only likely to end up causing more of an issue by having a knock on effect to next season. 

It is better to declare it finished now and either 1) Declare the table as they are at present or 2) void the season and start afresh as is next season.

Nobody will be happy with either of those options but I think there will be a lot of having to accept it and moving on as tbf, this is a particularly unforeseen event and I can’t blame the SFA or even UEFA etc for not having a ready answer here.

Both Jts... and Jambono make valid points here and neither are really wrong or right, whatever happens is going to be messy.

Can we declare league winners but not declare losers? We may need to declare league positions if eufa start their competitions next season, messy due to how close the europa places are.

I'd prefer postponing the league and finishing it but that's really looking unlikely now, probably the easiest option is to null an void and start a new campaign when that's possible. 

15 minutes ago, PSJSaint said:

Football will be back when it's safe to be back but the clubs might not. Might not make a huge amount of difference but would suggest now is the time to buy that shirt from the club shop. Take that £25 you were going to spend today and subscribe to your teams TV channel. Go and have a meal at the restaurant.

If this pans out like the Government's predicted timetable suggests then our clubs are in for a torrid time, obviously fans could start schemes to help their clubs but will it be enough. Some clubs will have owners/shareholders who are wealthy enough to steady things temporarily but others wont.

Could the SFA/spfl try to get advances on next seasons sponsorships and tv money and help those clubs out?

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

Budge is a logical woman, she will accept relegation.

Gerrard is a football man, he will accept he has lost the league.

time for leaders to step forward.

It was only a few days that Leonard claimed it was still all to play for, that will probably be brought up a lot now.

I'm not sure if Budge will accept relegation when they're just a few points behind and with around a 1/4 of the season to play for.

I don't like the idea of voiding the season or crowning champions and relegating sides who still theoretically have a chance to survive.

We should finish this season, whether that's in 6 weeks or 6 months time. 

We need at least a 6-7 week period to finish this season. It's looking unlikely we'll get that before next season is due to start, especially if as predicted this crisis won't even peak until June/July.

The best option for me is that we finish this season September-November and play next season from January with the Euro's at the end of the year. We then do the same in 2022 with the world cup in Qatar at the end of the year.

In times of uncertainty, what's one more daft speculative idea? 😄

*if* things can be resumed over the summer (and players will need a pre-season to get back in match shape if the layoff is anything over 2 months surely?) then resume the outstanding 19-20 matches.

Assuming that takes until Sep/Oct?

Then run a shortened interim season with a dry run of reconstruction.

16-16-10 playing x2, x2 and x3. So 30/30/27 matches. (or 14/14/14 playing 26, no splits due to shortened season).

Vote on reconstruction.

Kick off 21-22 with whatever the preferred format is.

Whatever we have in 20-21 is likely to be reduced (by a round) of status quo so why not mix it up a bit?

Edited by cmontheloknow

Guest JTS98
9 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The best option for me is that we finish this season September-November and play next season from January with the Euro's at the end of the year. We then do the same in 2022 with the world cup in Qatar at the end of the year.

I can see where you're coming from with that, but I think it gets messy to the point of being a waste of time.

A season that runs for 15 months with 3 transfer windows and a rake of players leaving their clubs before the last 8 or so games? A cup competition with about 6 months between the quarters and the semis, featuring vastly changed sides? I'm not sure that's really vastly preferable to not bothering.

And then after the 2022 World Cup are we committing to summer football moving forward or do we need to have another adjustment back the other way?

Like I said, I see what you're getting at, but I just don't think it's worth the bother.

Edited by JTS98

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Option 1) Hearts/Sevco/Hamilton fans raging..

Option 2) Celtic fans raging..

Mmmm....Option 1 please...😊