Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

Back in the old days the East of Scotland League used to often go unfinished. The club with most points just seemed to be declared champions.

Another idea could be to use an old Juniors trick to fulfill fixtures and double up the Scottish Cup semis as League games- would make Hearts v Hibs even more interesting! 

This Coronavirus thing has been easy to try and ignore and just laugh at all the toilet roll and UHT memes but f**k all that what an empty feeling having the football affected. I hope we can look back and laugh at this in 30 years time

5 minutes ago, Doctor said:

This Coronavirus thing has been easy to try and ignore and just laugh at all the toilet roll and UHT memes but f**k all that what an empty feeling having the football affected. I hope we can look back and laugh at this in 30 years time

We’ll look back on the upsides of it - no-one mentioned Brexit for a while.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You pay money to watch a sporting entertainment where your team has no chance of finishing champions, along with 42 other clubs purely because of money.  And a nation full of bigots and glory hunters choose to keep it this way.  Where the football authorities make every decision based around the needs of these two clubs, and the media and tv companies are only really interested in covering them, keeping them in the spotlight and making sure kids from all over the country grow up bombarded with OF stuff and jump on the bandwagon, perpetuating the whole thing.

And you want to talk about this not being right?  There's never been anything more right in Scottish football since rangers' demotion to the very bottom.  Or hearts, going bust a couple of times yet getting to declare themselves bankrupt and write off millions of debt then start all over again ploughing millions into a new stand and a team full of overpaid dross?

We're only allowed crumbs off the table in Scottish football, and all we have is the enjoyment of seeing other teams being shafted.  There's some tough times ahead in the immediate future, with no football as a distraction.  So just hope for null and void and get pointing and laughing with the rest of us!!

@pozbaird called for Sevco to get straight into the top flight back in the day

So don’t be surprised at where his sympathies now lie 

1 hour ago, CambieBud said:

play offs will be played pre-season.

That would be wild. Clubs need to budget / sign players based on knowing what league they will be playing in. Not start a season and change leagues within it. It would be ridiculous to have playoffs in pre-season.

I fully expect the league to wait a few weeks and re-assess the situation. If there was to be an abandonment of the season, whether or not there would be promotion and relegation I couldn't say, but in that scenario I don't expect there to be any playoffs.

37 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

@pozbaird called for Sevco to get straight into the top flight back in the day

So don’t be surprised at where his sympathies now lie 

p***k. Hold on ‘til I edit this better - Fcuk off you tedious fcuking w****r.

Nailed it.

Edited by pozbaird

We’re in the middle of a worldwide emergency so you’ve  really got to wonder about the mentality of folk who say their priority is to finish the season [emoji23]
It really is mad that on a football forum thread which is specifically discussing the football side of this crisis, that people are talking about football.

Just now, craigkillie said:
47 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:
We’re in the middle of a worldwide emergency so you’ve  really got to wonder about the mentality of folk who say their priority is to finish the season emoji23.png

It really is mad that on a football forum thread which is specifically discussing the football side of this crisis, that people are talking about football.

Yeh, that was my point. 

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Individual FA's will not want to take the flack from individual clubs for the consequences of any decision they make and would prefer if UEFA took the decision.

It's not a decision for UEFA to take though. SPFL will have to decide, ultimately. 

2019 Chile failed to finish their league due to political unrest.

The 2019 Campeonato Nacional, known as Campeonato AFP PlanVital 2019 for sponsorship reasons,[1] was the 89th season of top-flight football in Chile. The season started on 15 February 2019.[2] Universidad Católica were the defending champions, having won the previous tournament.
Due to the 2019 Chilean protests, the competition was suspended since mid-October with six matchdays still left. After a failed attempt to resume normal activity that saw only one match fully played,[3] on 29 November 2019, ANFP's Council of Presidents voted to conclude the season. Thus Universidad Católica, who were leading the competition at the time of the suspension, won their fourteenth title.[4][5] No teams were relegated to the Primera B this season.

Just to state the obvious for a sec...
this all feels really weird, eh? 
That's how I feel. I always get a sense of disappointment at the end of each season (especially in odd-numbered years); this is that dialed up to 11, and almost out of the blue. It's a Friday night, normally I'd be thinking about the games tomorrow, and it's just unsettling for that to be gone. Like finding out latitude and longitude are wrong.

Still, I'm sure in the absence of actual football to talk about this place will in no way turn into Lord of the Flies meets One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Honestly can't see how this season can be finished. Players go out of contract at the end of May, and even the most optimistic projections will mean you'll be lucky to be back playing a month before that.

I think this season will be declared finished. Clubs take the places in the league which they're currently at. But I don't think that will work with relegation and promotions without legal action being threatened by those adversely effected. What I reckon might end up happening is a fudge. No relegation, multiple teams promoted into bigger leagues, and a temporary move to 3 tiers. Which will last a season and enough relegations to rebalance the leagues in the following season.

A temporary move to three 16 team leagues would potentially resolve the promotion/relegation issues. Top four in the championship promoted. Bottom 6 and all of league 1, bar the bottom team, and the current league leaders in league 2 in a second division. Bottom team of league 1, all of league 2 bar the champions, and 2 sides from each of the Highland and Lowland leagues in the 3rd division.

Clubs would look to be recouping some money so split each league after 2 rounds of fixtures. 44 league games in the season. One year only. Culminating in an absolute fuckload of relegations. Only promotions would be the champs of each league. Cancel the winter break.

This years Scottish Cup you finish off pre season. Change the league cup to a straight knockout.

Unless we're aw deid obviously.

Guest JTS98

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Football will restart at some point and we'll just be glad to have it back.

Personally, I think this season is a bogey and for practical reasons we'd be as well just writing everything off till next season. We know the peak of this virus in the UK is probably still a number of weeks away and there's almost certainly no way these games are going to get played.

It's also important to keep in mind that if this virus is seasonal, as many think it is, then we can expect a reappearance next autumn/winter. So assumptions about next season should be taken lightly.

I'd make Celtic champions, but with an asterisk. Relegate Hearts, don't relegate Hearts, can't say I'm overly fussed either way.

I'm not sure the European places being decided is such a big deal as I'd say it's a big leap of faith to assume the European competitions will happen as normal next season.

We might have to have some kind of weird transitional season with a strange format or run two seasons almost back to back, which isn't the end of the world. I'd imagine tv companies, sponsors etc will demonstrate a level of good will in dealing with this, purely from a PR point of view as much as anything else.

I think as this unfolds over the coming months people are going to stop giving too much of a f**k about what the SPFL decides. People are going to be losing relatives, some on here might die. I think footballing decisions will lose their fizz for a while.

But understanding and a bit of reasonable give and take is going to be required in what is a situation nobody asked for.

Edited by JTS98

Trying to finish this season is only likely to end up causing more of an issue by having a knock on effect to next season. 

It is better to declare it finished now and either 1) Declare the table as they are at present or 2) void the season and start afresh as is next season.

Nobody will be happy with either of those options but I think there will be a lot of having to accept it and moving on as tbf, this is a particularly unforeseen event and I can’t blame the SFA or even UEFA etc for not having a ready answer here.

Guest JTS98
16 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Trying to finish this season is only likely to end up causing more of an issue by having a knock on effect to next season. 

It is better to declare it finished now and either 1) Declare the table as they are at present or 2) void the season and start afresh as is next season.

Nobody will be happy with either of those options but I think there will be a lot of having to accept it and moving on as tbf, this is a particularly unforeseen event and I can’t blame the SFA or even UEFA etc for not having a ready answer here.

I think people who are advocating just starting again in August are underestimating factors like the international games that will have to be squeezed in and the potential for travel still being seriously curtailed. Some people seem to still believe this will be ok in a month or so, which is baffling. It won't.

I agree completely with your final point. Football doesn't bring out our most grown up, rational behaviour, but this is just something that has happened that nobody can do anything about. Losing our heads about a title being awarded or not, or being relegated or not is just childish nonsense.

Celtic deserve the title, and if it was up to me, I'd probably give it to them, but the bottom line is that they haven't won it. What can you do? Nobody asked for this.