Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

Unbelievably, with all that’s going on, Neil Lennon just been on Sky Sports News saying that Celtic have to be crowned as nine in a row champions if season is cancelled. “They’re not going to take it away from Liverpool, are they?”

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Unbelievably, with all that’s going on, Neil Lennon just been on Sky Sports News saying that Celtic have to be crowned as nine in a row champions if season is cancelled. “They’re not going to take it away from Liverpool, are they?”

He's right. They've clearly won the league. Just as Hearts are clearly going down. The positions stand imo.

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Brechin have just announced that our game at Elgin tomorrow WILL go ahead.  

Eta:  and now it's suddenly off again.  What a f***ing shambles. 

That statement was made over four hours ago before the universal postponement. That's why it mentions the possibility being exposed to Scottish footballing sanctions if they cancelled the match. They then released the second statement around two hours ago.

387561356_Screenshot_2020-03-13BrechinCityFC(BrechinCityFC)Twitter.thumb.png.0b6414b107217fcc412917790e17beb3.png

Is a postponement the right thing to do? I honestly don't know - I'm no medical expert. It's irrelevant anyway as the Gov has just put it into force.

What I am interested in is how the SPFL/SFA deal with the contract issue. If the games are delayed until the window opens (and presumably there will be a window as players will be out of contract and need to find new clubs) then is the stipulation that you must field the same team that was available when the game was due to be played? What if players have moved on? Been injured? Returned from injury or have already signed a PCA (either in or out).

If you look at the bottom; Hearts, Hamilton, County and ourselves are down there but of those clubs it's clear Hearts have a far greater capacity to bring in players than the others . Yes, I get that Budge & Co has been saying they are skint, but if there was an opportunity to steal a march on their rivals by "going big" in the transfer window to avoid relegation then I feel they'd take it (and who would blame them if it was all "legal"?).

It seems such a small issue considering the context, but it's still one that needs addressing (...and before player's contracts start to run out).

Edited by Ric

It really isn't TBF.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

That's the bairns football cancelled too.

It's mental that 22 kids running around outdoors in a space of several thousand square metres is too much of a risk, but having 30 in a classroom next week is fine.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

Is a postponement the right thing to do? I honestly don't know - I'm no medical expert. It's irrelevant anyway as the Gov has just put it into force.

What I am interested in is how the SPFL/SFA deal with the contract issue. If the games are delayed until the window opens (and presumably there will be a window as players will be out of contract and need to find new clubs) then is the stipulation that you must field the same team that was available when the game was due to be played? What if players have moved on? Been injured? Returned from injury or have already signed a PCA (either in or out).

If you look at the bottom; Hearts, Hamilton, County and ourselves are down there but of those clubs it's clear Hearts have a far greater capacity to bring in players than the others . Yes, I get that Budge & Co has been saying they are skint, but if there was an opportunity to steal a march on their rivals by "going big" in the transfer window to avoid relegation then I feel they'd take it (and who would blame them if it was all "legal"?).

It seems such a small issue considering the context, but it's still one that needs addressing (...and before player's contracts start to run out).

To be fair, this issue has only arisen because of a rule you have dreamed up. 

And I've not heard Doncaster called the Gov before, he'll love that. 

7 minutes ago, bendan said:

It's mental that 22 kids running around outdoors in a space of several thousand square metres is too much of a risk, but having 30 in a classroom next week is fine.

^^^THIS^^^ 

Grandsons (5 years old ) wee football club cancelled , but he still has to go to a school that holds nearly 600 kids ..

And my daughter’s school has nearly 1600 in attendance...

Edited by G51 Red

Although I’d prefer to see games played behind closed doors, 1 confirmed case for a player means their club can’t play their matches and it will likely become a farce.

Even though a couple of promotions and relegations look more likely than not, there are more that are far from decided. Surely any decisions have to be implemented across the board, as it would be unfair to hand the title to Dundee Utd and not to Raith?

If the season is to resume after any more than 4-6 weeks, then by all means push it into the summer, however that would work with contracts. This would mean though that our entry into European competition is cancelled next season as the early rounds start in July (this might all be cancelled anyway).

I think the only realistic option may be to void the season. As a Dee I’m not going to pretend the chance to laugh at United not going up wouldn’t be brilliant and could make me biased, however a lot of clubs will suffer financially and I would imagine Dundee could be one of the worst. Considering our horrendous performance last season, our season ticket numbers this year weren’t great with a larger number of fans choosing to pay at the gate than normal. Our owners or insurance would cover the loss but I’d be surprised if there aren’t clubs who aren’t so lucky.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

is the stipulation that you must field the same team that was available when the game was due to be played? 

If you look closely there is a "?" at the end.  ;)

It wasn't a rule, it was a question of whether that is something that would need to be introduced in order to retain a level playing field.

Edit: Tell you what, flip it around to your team. The games that were postponed are now being played, the transfer window opens with 2 games left and both you and Motherwell are vying for 3rd. Suddenly Motherwell announce two big signings just before you are due to play. How would you feel about that?

Clearly we play games when the window is open, but essentially the transfer window was introduced to stop teams buying in players at the tail end of the season.

Edited by Ric

Mental idea but use the aggregate scores from the first 22 matchdays* to complete the league table. Automatic promotion & relegation is still carried out with teams in playoff positions compensated somehow (start next season on 3 points maybe)

* Rangers v St Johnstone is a 0-0 draw 

Coronavirus already killed hundreds, world is in lock down, cities of millions quarantined, prime minister says many loved ones will die,oh and Neil Lennon wants assurances Celtic will get 9-in-a-row.

Get some fucking perspective you utter c**t.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

If you look closely there is a "?" at the end.  ;)

It wasn't a rule, it was a question of whether that is something that would need to be introduced in order to retain a level playing field.

In that case, the answer is no. 

Because there is no level playing field. And it would be mental. 

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Coronavirus already killed hundreds, world is in lock down, cities of millions quarantined, prime minister says many loved ones will die,oh and Neil Lennon wants assurances Celtic will get 9-in-a-row.

Get some fucking perspective you utter c**t.

Failure to achieve 10iar for any reason is a sacking offence for Lennon and considering the need for social distancing, I think he's just worried about getting the bullet in the post.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

In that case, the answer is no. 

Because there is no level playing field. And it would be mental. 

..but you surely see the point I am making here?

Obviously in the grand scheme of things, it's small beans.

As yet Liverpool or Celtic or any other club in Europe has not mathematically won their league or been relegated. If (for arguments sake) Liverpool were awarded the title then what would stop Man City and/or others going to court to contest, similar with relegation's and in the case of countries like Spain/Germany/Italy there are some big clubs to contest that had the games played out they could have won. National FA's & UEFA & FIFA wouldn't want this and how long that could all drag on for - it would leave decisions like qualifiers for next seasons CL/EL undecided and the next season competition in limbo.

Depending on how long the 'break' is (anything more than a few wks) then expect the season to voided worldwide . For 20/21 see this season reset to game zero (kind of like Championship Manager when it all goes to shit)