Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

His logic leads to the natural extension that nobody should be at work doing their jobs or being outside at all in case they catch it. I would imagine the players will have as much chance of catching it when they go to Tesco as they do when they're in a stadium with a maximum of 50 people in total.

I'm not saying there's necessarily a problem with the idea, but the reasons given for it are fairly stupid and don't hold up to scrutiny, much like everything else PFA Scotland do.

Much less of a chance. There will be around 10,000 people visiting my local Tesco superstore today. Multiply that by the dozens of other big shops just in Edinburgh. And then all the other places where we congregate: workplaces, train stations etc.  It's impossible to stop its spread, and as for slowing it, there's a reason UK scientific advisors are saying that stopping large gatherings isn't going to make much difference – it's small beans compared to everything else.

Any ban on supporters is for secondary, practical purposes.

So advising players to stop playing borders on lunatic.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

His logic leads to the natural extension that nobody should be at work doing their jobs or being outside at all in case they catch it. I would imagine the players will have as much chance of catching it when they go to Tesco as they do when they're in a stadium with a maximum of 50 people in total.

I'm not saying there's necessarily a problem with the idea, but the reasons given for it are fairly stupid and don't hold up to scrutiny, much like everything else PFA Scotland do.

Footballers are in pretty close contact with each other though. You might well be grappling with somebody in the bog roll aisle in the coming days but in general it’s not like defending a corner is it?

If the Scottish government wants to ban gatherings of over 500 people, then clubs should do a draw from their season ticket holder databases. 300 home fans get into games, 100 away fans, leaves 100 for players, coaching staff, one lassie at the pie stand, a couple of ballboys/girls, officials, and Chick Young.

Get the games played in something approaching a normal fashion (Hamilton v Ross County?)

I’m all over this. Where’s my knighthood?

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If the Scottish government wants to ban gatherings of over 500 people, then clubs should do a draw from their season ticket holder databases. 300 home fans get into games, 100 away fans, leaves 100 for players, coaching staff, one lassie at the pie stand, a couple of ballboys/girls, officials, and Chick Young.

Get the games played in something approaching a normal fashion (Hamilton v Ross County?)

I’m all over this. Where’s my knighthood?

Surely that defeats the whole purpose?

That statement - even if you feel it doesn't come over well from Wishart - does make you think that games should be cancelled now, not after the weekend.  There does seem to be a thought process that implys football players can't catch this thing so can play in any type of circumstance, which is of course a nonsense. 

Can't help wonder about the immediate financial impact on clubs in the second and third divisions in particular if grounds are closed for any considerable time.  FlyBe is an example of what can happen pretty quickly when a company running on a cash economy suddenly has no money coming in.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I agree. He's saying they cannot allow a situation where a player might pass it on to a teammate or opponent, which is pretty much the same as saying people shouldn't go to work. We are all going to have to endure a level of risk - in fact, most of us are going to get it. Saying people can't play football is a complete overreaction.

Edited by bendan

21 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yes for the first two. Obviously not for the second two, because the country would literally be unable to operate, and people don't tend to "gather" in train stations anyway.

There can be more than 500 people in Central station ( or Queens st.  or Waverley for that matter ) at any one time .. particularly round  holidays and football days ...

19 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

That statement - even if you feel it doesn't come over well from Wishart - does make you think that games should be cancelled now, not after the weekend.  There does seem to be a thought process that implys football players can't catch this thing so can play in any type of circumstance, which is of course a nonsense. 

Can't help wonder about the immediate financial impact on clubs in the second and third divisions in particular if grounds are closed for any considerable time.  FlyBe is an example of what can happen pretty quickly when a company running on a cash economy suddenly has no money coming in.

The point is that they are much more likely to catch it in every other part of their daily life than they are when they're playing football in an empty stadium. If a player catches it, then yes by all means start postponing games, but until that happens why not keep going?

Guest Moomintroll
Players seem to be finding it very easy to catch down here.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The point is that they are much more likely to catch it in every other part of their daily life than they are when they're playing football in an empty stadium. If a player catches it, then yes by all means start postponing games, but until that happens why not keep going?

By the time you realise you have it you have probably had it for around 7 days without knowing.  So you pass it on to another and so on.  To keep going until some 'catches it' doesn't work.  There is an attempt here to try and control the spread whilst realising that large numbers will still get it.  Of course, somewhere out there is someone that will have this passed on to them and it will kill them.  The rate of death is far worse than the flu  - despite previous thoughts - it will kill around 10 times as many people as flu if it gets a grip.

18 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Yeah, the whole purpose being me kidding on.

Fair dues. We've had Saints fans this morning arguing about who should get the 500 tickets, if that puts context into why I believed you.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

By the time you realise you have it you have probably had it for around 7 days without knowing.  So you pass it on to another and so on.  To keep going until some 'catches it' doesn't work.  There is an attempt here to try and control the spread whilst realising that large numbers will still get it.  Of course, somewhere out there is someone that will have this passed on to them and it will kill them.  The rate of death is far worse than the flu  - despite previous thoughts - it will kill around 10 times as many people as flu if it gets a grip.

Again, this is not wrong, but the logical extension is that none of us should be going to our work or going outside in general. If that becomes the general advice then fine, but until then I am not sure why footballers shouldn't be acting like the rest of us in terms of going about their daily life as much as possible whilst taking sensible precautions.

19 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

The rate of death is far worse than the flu  - despite previous thoughts - it will kill around 10 times as many people as flu if it gets a grip.

I'm not sure we know that yet. The government are estimating 5 to 10k have it currently - we've had 10 deaths. What we do know is that a lot more people die if the hospitals are overwhelmed. The problem is that no-one has immunity.