Is this weekend the last match we get to go to this season?

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Think again. There is not a hope in hell of them just scrapping the league for this season. Too many legal complications.

The two possibilities are they suspend the league and finish the season when it's safer to do so, and delay the start of next season, or play the remaining games behind closed doors.

My money is on them playing this weekend, then suspending the next two rounds of fixtures and see where we are mid April. I doubt we'll finish the season to some time in the summer though, especially if players are affected, but we will finish the season. Expect the euros to be postponed for a year.

The virus is supposed to peak in April, apparently. 

5 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

The virus is supposed to peak in April, apparently. 

And the peak doesn't really tell the story. As there's no natural  immunity to coronavirus you couldn't have any gatherings for weeks after the last person has tested positive. And even then it would be a risk;  it would take just one person to carry it and we begin again. You'd absolutely have to close down for several months, or until a vaccine is found.

Edited by Mr Heliums

3 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

And the peak doesn't really tell the story. As there's no natural  immunity to coronavirus you couldn't have any gatherings for weeks after the last person has tested positive. And even then it would be a risk;  it would take just one person to carry it and we begin again. You'd absolutely have to close down for several months, or until a vaccine is found.

Surely with it being a virus, there is a natural immunity to it once you've contracted it and then got it out of your system. 

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Surely with it being a virus, there is a natural immunity to it once you've contracted it and then got it out of your system. 

There was an epidemiologist on the radio yesterday saying that they dont believe that anyone has been reinfected (even though there are a couple of reports of this in China).

They think that people do - as you say - have an immunity once they have had it and any reports of double infection are people who have had this and then another different virus in succession.

None of that is 100% nailed though as the evidence is being gathered on the hoof. 

21 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

That's what they are trying in China, but we seem to be planning to have most of the population acquire immunity through infection.

What a fucking country. 
There are footballers left right and centre all over the world now testing positive. Not to mention heads of state. 
They've even shut mount everest down for fucks sake. 
But the SFA :
oLd FiRm gAmE ThIs WeEkEnD. MuSt LeT fAnS iN aS nOrMaL. CoRoNaViRuS cAn WaIt A fEw MoRe dAyS
1p9wjx.jpg.b307c15bd2b9f6064bc33550f4a30a4e.jpg

It’s not the SFA that is making this decision. The minute the government tell them to call games off, they will. When you do things based on government advice, you can’t really blame the SFA for not going ahead and calling off matches, even if it seems intuitively the correct thing to do.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

The main problem with this is that player contracts generally run to the end of May. So a lot of clubs would lose a lot of out of contract players for a summer run in. You could open the transfer window on an emergency basis but then, you're open to messing with the integrity of the competition. 

That's a fair point. Clubs would need to extend contracts and the transfer window would also need to be delayed. They might veer towards closed door games then, but even that would be compromised if players start to be affected.

If it's as bad as they are predicting though, in a few weeks the football might be the last thing we're worrying about.

1 hour ago, bendan said:

That's what they are trying in China, but we seem to be planning to have most of the population acquire immunity through infection.

Our government's approach is the "Let's get CoVid19 done" approach. It's a viable approach, but if we get it even slightly wrong, there will be a large number of unnecessary deaths, primarily among the old and the otherwise sick. As far as I can see, no other country is adopting our approach at the moment.

5 minutes ago, AllyM said:

As far as I can see, no other country is adopting our approach at the moment.

I think they pretty much are, at least in northern Europe. I don't think any are thinking they can contain it.

54 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s not the SFA that is making this decision. The minute the government tell them to call games off, they will. When you do things based on government advice, you can’t really blame the SFA for not going ahead and calling off matches, even if it seems intuitively the correct thing to do.

Apologies, I meant the Scottish Government :lol: 

44 minutes ago, Hendo said:

That's a fair point. Clubs would need to extend contracts and the transfer window would also need to be delayed. They might veer towards closed door games then, but even that would be compromised if players start to be affected.

If it's as bad as they are predicting though, in a few weeks the football might be the last thing we're worrying about.

Fraser Wishart put out a statement to all PFA Scotland members last night to state that they will reject the notion of closed door matches.

If it's deemed dangerous enough for supporters, then it's the same for players.

Fraser Wishart put out a statement to all PFA Scotland members last night to state that they will reject the notion of closed door matches.
It doesn't surprise me given who is responsible, but that is thick as f**k. The reason it is "deemed dangerous" for supporters is because there are lots of people there, not because the pitch is going to give them coronavirus.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It doesn't surprise me given who is responsible, but that is thick as f**k. The reason it is "deemed dangerous" for supporters is because there are lots of people there, not because the pitch is going to give them coronavirus.

Personally, I find it hard to disagree with anything he's said in that statement.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Personally, I find it hard to disagree with anything he's said in that statement.

The reason for playing behind closed doors wouldn't be for health reasons – it's all about front-line health staff required at big matches being better employed elsewhere. Wishart says he's being led by advice – but he's totally ignoring the context of that advice.

His logic leads to the natural extension that nobody should be at work doing their jobs or being outside at all in case they catch it. I would imagine the players will have as much chance of catching it when they go to Tesco as they do when they're in a stadium with a maximum of 50 people in total.

I'm not saying there's necessarily a problem with the idea, but the reasons given for it are fairly stupid and don't hold up to scrutiny, much like everything else PFA Scotland do.