What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

Honestly, reading the SPFL Rules makes one thing clear, the only circumstance near this is a rule that addresses a team(s) failing to compete in matches. Technically, all the teams have failed to compete, and the SPFL is entitled, per their own rules, to deem results or discard results as they see fit. As I see it, their realistic choices (for League One) under those provisions are either count the first 27 games and call the season from that point and positions, or try to make some convoluted argument for results that would likely maintain the current positions. There is no provision for voiding a partially completed season, but I suppose a vote of member clubs might allow such a move, if the SPFL presented that as the preferred solution...however, I strongly suspect that a sweetening of the pot might be required in such a case.

As far as Raith only being one point ahead...at the end of the season, that’s enough. It’s not like the other clubs have been lacking opportunity to catch and pass Raith, so that’s a strawman argument. That, however, doesn’t make that either the preferred or best solution, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see what Celtic decide the rules are for this season.

P.S. As for the uneven home/away argument, that’s pretty much null given the format of the Premier League season. Luck, as always, is a player in footie!

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Honestly, reading the SPFL Rules makes one thing clear, the only circumstance near this is a rule that addresses a team(s) failing to compete in matches. Technically, all the teams have failed to compete, and the SPFL is entitled, per their own rules, to deem results or discard results as they see fit. As I see it, their realistic choices (for League One) under those provisions are either count the first 27 games and call the season from that point and positions, or try to make some convoluted argument for results that would likely maintain the current positions. There is no provision for voiding a partially completed season, but I suppose a vote of member clubs might allow such a move, if the SPFL presented that as the preferred solution...however, I strongly suspect that a sweetening of the pot might be required in such a case.

As far as Raith only being one point ahead...at the end of the season, that’s enough. It’s not like the other clubs have been lacking opportunity to catch and pass Raith, so that’s a strawman argument. That, however, doesn’t make that either the preferred or best solution, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see what Celtic decide the rules are for this season.

P.S. As for the uneven home/away argument, that’s pretty much null given the format of the Premier League season. Luck, as always, is a player in footie!

Who would you relegate from the championship?

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

I strongly suggest that this is your view because of who is top. I see our chairman is suggesting just do up until Q3 and that'll be that, now it's fairer than just finishing the league now but it still isn't fair at all. The only option is to try and finish the 19/20 season IMO, be that in June, September, next year, whenever.

Clubs might decide to vote for some form of promotion. But the fact is that at the moment Raith Rovers haven't earned that, haven't won the league and, if the season can't be finished, won't do either of those things.

So there's no argument to be made on what's deserved.

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

As far as Raith only being one point ahead...at the end of the season, that’s enough. It’s not like the other clubs have been lacking opportunity to catch and pass Raith, s

Of course they're lacking the opportunity. Falkirk would have overtaken you last Saturday because you'd have lost to East Fife.

1 hour ago, champions said:

Who would you relegate from the championship?

47 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Important part highlighted.

10 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I strongly suggest that this is your view because of who is top. I see our chairman is suggesting just do up until Q3 and that'll be that, now it's fairer than just finishing the league now but it still isn't fair at all. The only option is to try and finish the 19/20 season IMO, be that in June, September, next year, whenever.

3 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Of course they're lacking the opportunity. Falkirk would have overtaken you last Saturday because you'd have lost to East Fife.

Shall we please read the next line, “doesn’t make that either the preferred or best solution”. I can argue that Falkirk are arguing against positions counting as is because they are second...that East Fife want games after number 27 dropped because...

Its disingenuous to try to argue about league position because, we’re in the positions we’re in because we played games. My point is that the SPFL will decide something that will piss off a sizable percentage of people, and “voiding” the season appears, from reading the bylaws and watching the statements, to be the least likely solution.

Now, easiest solution, Sevco and one other Premier League team go under, promote two from each level plus Kelty and Brora. Still unfair to some...but ANY SOLUTION that doesn’t involve completing the season WITH THE CURRENT TEAMS will be unfair in some manner.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Wrong, they'd have overtaken us because we would've lost to Peterhead.

19 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Are we really saying that career threatening injuries are somehow mitigated as long as there's promotion and relegation?

There are leagues / seasons where there are no promotion and/or relegation. There are cup competitions with neither of these things.

Of course it'll be deeply unsatisfying if there's no conclusion to this season but it won't make it any more satisfying to do a musical chairs type 'champions when the music stops'. If this season can't be completed, none of the leagues will really have champions however it's handled.

If East Fife happened to be top right now, you can bet I'd be trying to find every argument I could come up with to justify some sort of promotion based on that.

A football season's like a university degree, not a survey. If you complete the first 3 years but can't finish the 4th year, you're not given a degree based on what you did during the first 75%.

Actually, just for a laugh, let's make a league based on results from Q2 and 3 and promote Montrose as champions.

Interesting that the Scottish Government have just announced there will be no exams this year and qualifications will be awarded based on work completed so far....

I can hear freddy singing already.....

"I've paid my dues..."

8) "

I now suspect that no more games will played in the 2019-2020 season, and that the 2020-2021 season will be shortened. On that basis, consider the following:

The precedent for a team failing between seasons seems to be a choice between the most recently relegated team(s) or the lower division runners-up. So that will be handled separately from how this season is resolved. A popular option is promoting the top two and relegating none, and if we do have several failures of clubs, this may work out. However, with 14 teams at the Premier League level, what do we do? Play each other three times, drawn randomly for home/away advantage? (39 games) Play twice, split and play twice more? (38 games)

Either way, we would expect the bottom three to be relegated and the fourth to be in a playoff..out of the bottom seven after 26 games, doesn’t seem that fair. There would also be three tossed from the Championship, League One and (possibly) League Two.

The EPL is happy with two games a season versus four. Perhaps it’s time to realign to three leagues of 14 teams? Play twice (home/away), split and play twice (home/away) against your half of the table for a total of 38 games.. That’s 19 games at home for everyone. Top two up and next three play in playoff against third from bottom of league above. Bottom two down and third bottom to the playoff. The lowest team from the third division is in a playoff against the winner of the HL/LL playoff.

We realign by taking 1-14, 15-28 and 29-42 as the entrants in each division based upon current positions. This results in:

New Premier: Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee United, Hamilton, Hearts, Hibs, ICT, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Motherwell, Rangers, Ross County, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren.

New Championship: Airdrie, Alloa, Arbroath, Ayr, Dumbarton, Dundee, Dunfermline, East Fife, Falkirk, Greenock, Montrose, Partick, QoS, Raith.

New League: Albion, Annan, Brechin,  Clyde, Cove, Cowdenbeath, Edinburgh, Elgin, Forfar, Peterhead, Queen’s Park, Sterling Albion, Stenhousemuir, Stranraer.

Who gets hurt? One HL/LL team (this year) and Cove Rangers (sorry, nothing is perfect). Who wins. We do...two more games for most teams and more teams to see each year.

I think they're hoping we can start games by the 2nd of June, whether that's behind closed doors or not. If you base it on 2 games a week from that date, you would have the season finished for 27th June and you'd have Tuesday the 30th as a back up date in case anything gets put off for whatever reason. That gets the season done for the date they've "committed" to with UEFA. Players, managers and officials would all need tested prior to every game I would've thought, not sure that is practical though.

I think it's ambitious, but I think that's the only slightly viable plan I see to get these games done before the date UEFA have committed to, it would mean player contracts only need a 1 month extension and if we binned the League Cup for next season it would give us a summer window too. All depends on when our "lockdown" commences and ends really. If games are behind closed doors then clubs will need compensated, which could be the stumbling block.

It’s actually a dreadful analogy as there’s every chance school pupils will be given ‘expected’ exam results in lieu of actually sitting them!

Yeah, don’t go there. That’s a pretty sore point in my house just now.

I’d go so far as saying it’s causing more upset than who gets promoted from League One, though obviously not as much upset as the question of whether Sellick get their 10IAR.