TxRover

What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

16 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

This virus is going to be around for over a year.

There is no realistic prospect of meaningful football before August 2021

By then some clubs could be gone so talk of promotion/relegation is meaningless.

Give it a year, see how many clubs are left and start new leagues from scratch. 

The virus could be around forever if we don't find a cure. Not a chance we're banning all events or social gatherings for a year. Once the "peak" is out the road we'll get on with things again.

3 minutes ago, michaeljohnstone said:

(I’m not laughing at Annan’s situation I’m laughing at the whole ordeal)

Aye, it's been a laugh a minute this stuff. Thousands dying, thousands more losing their livelihood, hilarious.

Aye, it's been a laugh a minute this stuff. Thousands dying, thousands more losing their livelihood, hilarious.

The whole Scottish Football ordeal I should’ve said.
However, I cannot see this set of 42 clubs being the 42 who will start next* season.
*whenever next season will be

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

The virus could be around forever if we don't find a cure. Not a chance we're banning all events or social gatherings for a year. Once the "peak" is out the road we'll get on with things again.

Without trying to sound like the calm within the storm theres a lot of ways we can look at this in the grand scheme of things human life is priority this is on a scale globally which no one could have planned for.   There are vaccines for it available the issue is they have only been tested on mice the next trials are due to take place on monkeys  then you have to trial it on humans expectation is about 7 months  dependant on funds being made available  by WHO or Govts. Your then at a stage where you need to roll out the vaccine on a global scale by that time some will have built an immune system to it and unfortunately some will be suffer the fatal aspects of it.

It's not going to be pleasant that's for sure and its going to change the way the world works  and economies function. Other than ride it out as normally as possible what else can we actually do about it.

1 hour ago, michaeljohnstone said:

The whole Scottish Football ordeal I should’ve said.
However, I cannot see this set of 42 clubs being the 42 who will start next* season.
*whenever next season will be

Agreed, Hearts will resign their membership in protest at being relegated.

3 hours ago, champions said:

Promoting the top two would remove the need to relegate anyone. I think it's even more harsher on hearts, partick, stranraer and brechin that they drop down a division compared to a team not being promoted.

You can't promote teams based on an unfinished season, if you don't relegate based on an unfinished season.

Fairest way to settle the leagues are go back to half way point when everyone had played each other once at home and once away and use this as the final table.

Promote the top two and relegate the bottom two instead of play offs etc.

Split all the money that each club gets in the league evenly so that all clubs from 1st to 10th get the same amount.

Handily I have attached the table at half way point.

Yes I know some will be aggrieved but every situation will be that way. IMG_20200316_142409.jpeg

28 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Fairest way to settle the leagues are go back to half way point when everyone had played each other once at home and once away and use this as the final table.

Promote the top two and relegate the bottom two instead of play offs etc.

Split all the money that each club gets in the league evenly so that all clubs from 1st to 10th get the same amount.

Handily I have attached the table at half way point.

Yes I know some will be aggrieved but every situation will be that way. IMG_20200316_142409.jpeg

That’s even worse. 😂 not for the Rovers mind you. As you were. 

Six of the ten clubs are in exactly the same position now as they were then. 🤔

A wee rumour surfacing (courtesy of a current League 1 player and Premiership coach) that the outline plan is for this season to restart in September. That's all I've heard, so no idea how it works with squads/contracts. If you're starting in September, that would allow enough time to get the remaining 8 fixtures done and the play-offs complete before Christmas. Would mean a bit of a wait for the following season though unless you started it in January/February, but that would probably mean a permanent change to our football calendar going forward.

36 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

. Would mean a bit of a wait for the following season though unless you started it in January/February, but that would probably mean a permanent change to our football calendar going forward.

Or it could mean playing each other twice in the 20/21 season as opposed to four times?

Or it could mean playing each other twice in the 20/21 season as opposed to four times?
...or the start of summer football!

With the extreme likelihood of Euros going to 2021 there would be no room for manoeuvre at the end of next season. That option above could work if for example League cup was left out for a year, or play each other three times instead of four (somebody will moan). However every suggestion of extending into next season has the same issue - players contracts. 

Personally I look at this and think , whatever solution decided upon,   do we 

1. Disrupt two seasons by taking this one forward into the autumn OR

2. Disrupt one season by making this one void and starting afresh in August?

I assume most will fall into line with UEFA preferences to suit their cup competitions and money flows

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite
change

34 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I hadn't thought of that - could be a decent compromise!

Lets say we're planning for restarting this season in September, finishing for end of November. Majority of player contracts are up in June for the lower leagues, could we not just get the clubs together and come to a "gentlemens agreement" that players return to their clubs to complete these remaining fixtures, then use December and perhaps some of January as the "Summer Transfer window" to allow players to move on before starting the shortened season in February, which would end possibly in June?

It's just a waiting game now, its foo early fo rush into a decision and it gives the powers that be time to make a decision. 

Realistically there are 2 solutions.

1. Void the season.

2. Finish the season on the current tables and award prizes/promotions accordingly.

Neither is particularly fair on anyone but it's a one off freak occurrence and if we start getting into postponing things for 6 months and shortening this or putting that back it will never catch up and just become more of a minefield. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

A wee rumour surfacing (courtesy of a current League 1 player and Premiership coach) that the outline plan is for this season to restart in September. That's all I've heard, so no idea how it works with squads/contracts. If you're starting in September, that would allow enough time to get the remaining 8 fixtures done and the play-offs complete before Christmas. Would mean a bit of a wait for the following season though unless you started it in January/February, but that would probably mean a permanent change to our football calendar going forward.

My god, we'd have Lewis Vaughan available for the run in :lol:

The problem with a shortened season out of the back of this is surely the further loss of income being a massive issue?

If this season was null and void or positions stayed as they are and we were able to start the new season in September and play a regular, full length season. Each team would lose 4 home games from this season. A massive loss but with fans support they may get through. If we completed this season in September you are asking teams to get through with no income till that point, then have another gap with no income till the next season starts in January/February (aside from reduced season ticket money) then if we only play each team twice as proposed, clubs will lose 9 home games in terms of income which is needed more than ever. Sounds absolute madness to me.

I get that with a temporary transfer window of some sort teams could re budget for the shorter season to an extent but teams already have players signed up which suddenly will take up a much larger percentage of the remaining reduced budget to fill the rest of the squad.

If we can’t play till September (which looks to be a best case scenario IMO) the only options are to null and void the season or go ahead with the positions as they are (my preference for obvious biased reasons) I don’t see anyway finishing the season is workable tbh. It’s not fair in anyway to not finish this season and there will be meltdowns all over the place no matter what they decide but I don’t think we have any other choice.

Edited by R.R.FC

5 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

The problem with a shortened season out of the back of this is surely the further loss of income being a massive issue?

If this season was null and void or positions stayed as they are and we were able to start the new season in September and play a regular, full length season. Each team would lose 4 home games from this season. A massive loss but with fans support they may get through. If we completed this season in September you are asking teams to get through with no income till that point, then have another gap with no income till the next season starts in January/February (aside from reduced season ticket money) then if we only play each team twice as proposed, clubs will lose 9 home games in terms of income which is needed more than ever. Sounds absolute madness to me.

I get that with a temporary transfer window of some sort teams could re budget for the shorter season to an extent but teams already have players signed up which suddenly will take up a much larger percentage of the remaining reduced budget to fill the rest of the squad.

If we can’t play till September (which looks to be a best case scenario IMO) the only options are to null and void the season or go ahead with the positions as they are (my preference for obvious biased reasons) I don’t see anyway finishing the season is workable tbh. It’s not fair in anyway to not finish this season and there will be meltdowns all over the place no matter what they decide but I don’t think we have any other choice.

Every single team is working with that "reduced income" though, so it's not like some have an advantage over others. And in my scenario players would be out of contract from June to end of August (almost as they usually are) so it's not really a case of clubs still having to pay their entire squads until we get back to playing football. The "gentlemens agreement" part and getting players to agree to go back to clubs in September to finish this season seems the most difficult part of that suggestion to me.