What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

3 minutes ago, renton said:

That's a huge caveat though, with option 1.  After several months of shutdown there is no telling what state teams may be in, and what their squads will look like going into that contracted league. For some sides, whatever challenge they had going in this league may not be sustainable with whatever squad they have going several months later. Option 1 for those sides may as well be option 2.

I doubt the SFA/SPFL would go with it, but a league restructuring, even for one season might be the best way of honouring the various promotion challenges while at the same time allowing for those in close relegation fights to not be chucked over a cliff when it was still in their own hands.

Yeah, I had considered a temporary league reconstruction to go back to the current set up the following year. I just assumed that would be something the SPFL would try very hard to avoid.

This season void, start afresh next season. Means that Raith Rovers avoid the inevitable last quarter collapse that happens every season and Falkirk fans can, pre-season tell anyone prepared to listen that they're going to skoosh this shitty Seaside league with a record points total.  

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

Dirty but swings and roundabouts with Airdrie buying Clydebank to piss on a fellow club gaining an advantage due to money.

The stadium issue wasn't until a year after Airdrie bought Clydebank. Falkirk were denied promotion because Campbell Christie misrepresented whether supremacy of access to the stadium had been agreed. He hadn't agreed that with either Airdrie or the stadium owners. He presented a case to the SPL that agreement had been reached.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

40 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The stadium issue wasn't until a year after Airdrie bought Clydebank. Falkirk were denied promotion because Campbell Christie misrepresented whether supremacy of access to the stadium had been agreed. He hadn't agreed that with either Airdrie or the stadium owners. He presented a case to the SPL that agreement had been reached.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

What's the stadium issue regarding Falkirk avoiding relegation ?

Airdrie went bust, bought Clydebank and came back as Airdrie Utd....the Utd has since been dropped.

As for two wrongs, you will find our governing body have had 101 wrongs as we await the decision on the current situation. I stated days ago they are in a lose lose scenario no matter which way they choose, which amuses me.

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

It's not a coincidence at all that Raith Rovers fans are generally coming out in favour of having promotion based on current positions, Falkirk fans less so. You'll find the same with Partick/Alloa/QoS/Hearts/Hamilton/Dundee Utd/Celtic. People are generally arguing for the outcome that most benefits their club.

Far too narrow listing 9 teams there, as it stands 42 clubs can mathematically finish out with their current position.

St Johnstone couldve been top 6 this weekend, it's free for all for play offs in the championship.

Celtic, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Cove Rangers , Stranraer and Brechin for me are the only definite positions you can suggest wouldn't have changed, leaving 36 positions in guess work.

10 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Airdrie went bust, bought Clydebank and came back as Airdrie Utd....the Utd has since been dropped.

If Sarge is who I think he is, I'm pretty sure that he knows what happened better than most since he worked for the club at the time.

21 minutes ago, MrDust said:

What's the stadium issue regarding Falkirk avoiding relegation ?

As for two wrongs, you will find our governing body have had 101 wrongs as we await the decision on the current situation. I stated days ago they are in a lose lose scenario no matter which way they choose, which amuses me.

I should have placed more emphasis on the two wrongs don't make a right.

I'd actually forgotten Falkirk stayed up because of the Clydebank buy they then tried to capitalise further in the stadium issue. It was your remark about pissing on another club, not to the extent Airdrie did to be fair, but Falkirk did try to make the most of it as CC seen Airdrie as a soft touch at the time.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I should have placed more emphasis on the two wrongs don't make a right.

I'd actually forgotten Falkirk stayed up because of the Clydebank buy they then tried to capitalise further in the stadium issue. It was your remark about pissing on another club, not to the extent Airdrie did to be fair, but Falkirk did try to make the most of it as CC seen Airdrie as a soft touch at the time.

Two different scenarios tho..

The reply was in regard to our non relegation not to our non promotion.

We had tried both Murrayfield and Airdrie in relation to promotion but that's a whole different story to the non promotion.

Just now, MrDust said:

Two different scenarios tho..

The reply was in regard to our non relegation not to our non promotion.

We had tried both Murrayfield and Airdrie in relation to promotion but that's a whole different story to the non promotion.

Fair enough we'll leave it there and get back on topic.

Who would have thought that a global pandemic would be the catalyst to league reconstruction in Scotland?

I've been thinking about ways of fixing this and I can only see the top two teams of each league being promoted with no relegations being the fairest way possible of doing it.

That would leave the leagues looking like;

Scottish Prem

Aberdeen
Celtic

Dundee United

Hamilton

Hearts

Hibs

ICT

Kilmarnock

Livingston

Motherwell

Rangers

Ross County

St Johnstone

St Mirren

Scottish Championship

Alloa

Arbroath

Ayr United

Dundee
Dunfermline

Falkirk

Greenock Morton

Partick

QOTS
Raith Rovers

League 1

Airdrie

Clyde
Cove Rangers

Dumbarton

East Fife

Edinburgh City

Forfar

Montrose

Peterhead

Stranraer

League 2

Albion Rovers

Annan

Brechin

Brora Rangers
Cowdenbeath

Elgin City

Kelty Hearts

Queens Park

Stenhousemuir

Stirling Albion

Pretty fucking tasty looking imho

19 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I'm sure I read that smaller gatherings were more dangerous for spreading the virus. Given that players in England have already had it, and that changing rooms etc would be a haven for spreading germs, can't see closed door games being an option. 

Players are still going into training are they not? If it was such an issue then the stadium/training ground would be in complete lockdown.

43 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Who would have thought that a global pandemic would be the catalyst to league reconstruction in Scotland?

I've been thinking about ways of fixing this and I can only see the top two teams of each league being promoted with no relegations being the fairest way possible of doing it.

That would leave the leagues looking like;

Scottish Prem

Aberdeen
Celtic

Dundee United

Hamilton

Hearts

Hibs

ICT

Kilmarnock

Livingston

Motherwell

Rangers

Ross County

St Johnstone

St Mirren

Scottish Championship

Alloa

Arbroath

Ayr United

Dundee
Dunfermline

Falkirk

Greenock Morton

Partick

QOTS
Raith Rovers

League 1

Airdrie

Clyde
Cove Rangers

Dumbarton

East Fife

Edinburgh City

Forfar

Montrose

Peterhead

Stranraer

League 2

Albion Rovers

Annan

Brechin

Brora Rangers
Cowdenbeath

Elgin City

Kelty Hearts

Queens Park

Stenhousemuir

Stirling Albion

Pretty fucking tasty looking imho

Whats fair about promoting the top two teams?

20 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Think that most fans would like league reconstruction ( and club directors) but the reality is it will never happen unless the Glasgow two are offered an alternative league in either England or Europe. Our top league is designed to maximise all monies to the old firm. End of discussion.

Correct the old firm just play each other 4 times in a League season. It's as simple as that. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Whats fair about promoting the top two teams?

Exactly. This penalises Dundee and Ayr, who could easily catch Inverness, and Airdrie and Montrose in League One who both have a realistic shout of overtaking Falkirk and Raith Rovers. The only fair solution is to finish the season, no matter how long it takes. 

The only fair solution is to finish the season, no matter how long it takes. 

This is unquestionably the right answer, but in all likelihood football will resume long after contracts have expired and squads will look totally different. In which case fairness is well out the window.

I’m not sure there is a workable ‘fair’ solution. We’re just going to have to choose a route and stick by it, some clubs will be hacked off, some will be delighted, some won’t really care either way.

Of course Falkirk fans want the top two teams to be promoted. The reality is that 2nd spot is not an automatic promotion spot though. Finishing 2nd earns you a 25% chance of promotion, exactly the same as finishing 4th.

If folk have problems with promoting the team currently in 1st because they haven't really earned the reward of promotion, why the hell would we reward teams currently in second who haven't even earned something that there's no reward for, other than a play-off spot?

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, champions said:

Players are still going into training are they not? If it was such an issue then the stadium/training ground would be in complete lockdown.

Don't know about other clubs but Raith Rovers players are not training this week.