What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

Just now, CALDERON said:

However it's surely fairer to award a league title based on 75 percent of it being completed than disregard all those games entirely?

No, I don't think that's fairer at all. Every club has been dropped into this situation through no fault of their own, why should the team who just happen to be top (by a single point) at this lucky point be promoted? If it was next week and Falkirk had just gone top, would you argue it was fair that Falkirk went up?

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

No, I don't think that's fairer at all. Every club has been dropped into this situation through no fault of their own, why should the team who just happen to be top (by a single point) at this lucky point be promoted? If it was next week and Falkirk had just gone top, would you argue it was fair that Falkirk went up?

I don't think any of it is fair, but I don't think I'd feel any differently to be honest. I'd be quite raging, but probably more so at the daft dropped points. Flip side is, why should 3 quarters of a season be wiped out altogether. Why should Falkirk get another chance at trying to not balls up their promotion campaign? Apply that to Rangers, Hearts etc. 

There is no situation that will appease everyone, other than finishing the season. And that doesent look like happening any time soon. Making a call as things stand isn't the most ridiculous idea ever. 

Edited by CALDERON

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I don't think any of it is fair, but I don't think I'd feel any differently to be honest. I'd be quite raging, but probably more so at the daft dropped points. Flip side is, why should 3 quarters of a season be wiped out altogether. Why should Falkirk get another chance at trying to not balls up their promotion campaign? Apply that to Rangers, Hearts etc. 

Alternatively, Raith still have time to balls up their current title bid, so why should they be promoted? 

Under your scenario, Falkirk get another chance at winning this league anyway, it's just that your team wouldn't be here to fight it out with them.

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The problem is that this league is the oddity this season. With our league being so tight nobody could really argue if it was decided the season was void but for the other three league leaders that would be a real kick in the teeth.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Every single team is working with that "reduced income" though, so it's not like some have an advantage over others. And in my scenario players would be out of contract from June to end of August (almost as they usually are) so it's not really a case of clubs still having to pay their entire squads until we get back to playing football. The "gentlemens agreement" part and getting players to agree to go back to clubs in September to finish this season seems the most difficult part of that suggestion to me.

Yeah, I dont think it would take much, or very long for the gentlemen's agreement part to fall to bits. With an 8 game stretch I can imagine clubs like Hearts throwing the kitchen sink at anyone they thought would give them a short term fix up. Same with any club in a tight race. I doubt the culture amongst players is such that they would ostracize anyone making a short term move for potentially good money either.

I suspect the way round it would be if it were a wide enough move in Europe that the transfer window could be moved about not to include that summer? (And even then you'd have situations where Rovers would lose Bowie but more widely a bunch of loan players potentially not getting to go back to the clubs they'd been regularly appearing for)

Edited by renton

As I said at the weekend, if season is to run on & be completed in September, move the transfer window until 2019/2020 is completed, that way no one could move between teams before then, similar to the gentlemen agreement idea. 

Longer this runs on, the closer to the liklihood of it being voided though. 

Euro 2020, is now postponed until next year, so let's hope we can get back playing around July. Fairest on everyone. 

UEFA now saying all associations committed to completing their domestic programs by June 30th. Of course, that could go by the wayside if we are only starting to relax the lockdown after 12 weeks as the government has suggested it'll last for. 

UEFA now saying all associations committed to completing their domestic programs by June 30th. Of course, that could go by the wayside if we are only starting to relax the lockdown after 12 weeks as the government has suggested it'll last for. 
Yeah I doubt very much that will be possible. That's no more than a holding announcement.

As I said at the weekend, if season is to run on & be completed in September, move the transfer window until 2019/2020 is completed, that way no one could move between teams before then, similar to the gentlemen agreement idea. 
Longer this runs on, the closer to the liklihood of it being voided though. 
Euro 2020, is now postponed until next year, so let's hope we can get back playing around July. Fairest on everyone. 

If we do run into August and then started the 2021 season in late September. Would it be possible to maybe even ditch the league cup for a season? Maybe even do away with the winter break? Fill the spaces left with league games? We would probably still run into late may for 20220/2021 season is the only thing with that.

If the greed is good league (SPL) would for one season let the leagues reconstruct into say 3 leagues of 14, which would allow promotion of 2 from the championship, and the top 6 from Div 1 into the championship and then combine the rest into the new Div 1.......... its then a play each other home n away 26 game season, just for 20/21............. depends of course on if its not possible to finish this season and the bigot brothers

13 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

If the greed is good league (SPL) would for one season let the leagues reconstruct into say 3 leagues of 14, which would allow promotion of 2 from the championship, and the top 6 from Div 1 into the championship and then combine the rest into the new Div 1.......... its then a play each other home n away 26 game season, just for 20/21............. depends of course on if its not possible to finish this season and the bigot brothers

I was actually thinking along the same lines, although i thought 3 x16 with more clubs joining. That way most teams with shout of promotion get it (in some form) and nobody gets relegated

19 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Most Rovers fans were preparing for that to happen over the weekend past.

If it had, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I would even have suggested that the result had more credibility as it would have been another game completed.

Whilst the last 8 games could certainly change things (and most probably would have) I don't think there a question of the integrity of awarding a league title after more than 75% of the games have been played, given the extraordinary circumstances we are in.

We are going to need to find a compromise as there is not a chance in hell of completing all fixtures required to complete the season by 30th June. 

Either the league standings are taken as final or the season is null and void. I would use whatever window becomes available to finish the cups/ play-offs so we can start next season on time in August. An agreement to create a compensation fund for all disadvantaged clubs could be pooled from next seasons prize money and distributed accordingly.

Bottom line is there needs to be compromise, not self interest. This is no-ones fault but everyones problem. If self interest prevails then Scottish Football will not survive this in it's current form.

From what I've seen so far, i don't have much hope.

1 minute ago, Double Jack D said:

Most Rovers fans were preparing for that to happen over the weekend past.

If it had, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I would even have suggested that the result had more credibility as it would have been another game completed.

Whilst the last 8 games could certainly change things (and most probably would have) I don't think there a question of the integrity of awarding a league title after more than 75% of the games have been played, given the extraordinary circumstances we are in.

We are going to need to find a compromise as there is not a chance in hell of completing all fixtures required to complete the season by 30th June. 

Either the league standings are taken as final or the season is null and void. I would use whatever window becomes available to finish the cups/ play-offs so we can start next season on time in August. An agreement to create a compensation fund for all disadvantaged clubs could be pooled from next seasons prize money and distributed accordingly.

Bottom line is there needs to be compromise, not self interest. This is no-ones fault but everyones problem. If self interest prevails then Scottish Football will not survive this in it's current form.

From what I've seen so far, i don't have much hope.

I struggle to believe Raith fans would be on here arguing that Falkirk should be promoted but we'll agree to disagree there. To be brutally honest, the only folk I see displaying self interest are those saying their team should be promoted. What do you mean by "disadvantaged clubs" getting compensation next season?

4 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Just seeing there the EPL is looking to play the remainder of the season behind closed doors and broadcast/stream the games, that would be a fair enough solution i would think.

The EPL is probably the only league in the world where fan ticket money is irrelevant, this is an easy solution for them. I don't think this is a workable solution for the lower leagues in Scotland.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I struggle to believe Raith fans would be on here arguing that Falkirk should be promoted but we'll agree to disagree there. To be brutally honest, the only folk I see displaying self interest are those saying their team should be promoted. What do you mean by "disadvantaged clubs" getting compensation next season?

The EPL is probably the only league in the world where fan ticket money is irrelevant, this is an easy solution for them. I don't think this is a workable solution for the lower leagues in Scotland.

I wouldn't be arguing for it but I would've accepted it if the games cant be played. I can only speak for myself. This is a clusterfuck that no one has control over. The straight choice is null and voiding the season or finishing where we are. There is no real alternative.

In either scenario there will be rightful claims of disadvantage which we should try and redress as much as practicable.

What's needed is compromise and consensus otherwise the gemmes a bogey.

3 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

In either scenario there will be rightful claims of disadvantage which we should try and redress as much as practicable.

I'm just interested in what you mean here, as far as I can see every team in the country is disadvantaged.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I'm just interested in what you mean here, as far as I can see every team in the country is disadvantaged.

You're probably right tbf.I meant clubs relegated or denied potential promotion however, with 8 games left this could include a lot of teams.

I don't know the specifics of the rulebook but it either allows for early conclusion of the league or it doesn't. If it doesnt the season is void, if it does then current places should stand.

Whatever happens, the games aint getting played. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If it's a choice between playing behind closed doors or not playing at all then I'd guess our clubs would think about it. They could probably make some money from streaming and the like.

1 minute ago, Double Jack D said:

You're probably right tbf.I meant clubs relegated or denied potential promotion however, with 8 games left this could include a lot of teams.

I don't know the specifics of the rulebook but it either allows for early conclusion of the league or it doesn't. If it doesnt the season is void, if it does then current places should stand.

Whatever happens, the games aint getting played. 

The rulebook doesn't allow directly for either of these outcomes, but there is as usual a catch-all which permits the Board to make a decision.

Why are you so sure the games won't get played? They won't be getting played on time, certainly, but we might end up in a situation where they get played in August or September.

Just now, craigkillie said:

The rulebook doesn't allow directly for either of these outcomes, but there is as usual a catch-all which permits the Board to make a decision.

Why are you so sure the games won't get played? They won't be getting played on time, certainly, but we might end up in a situation where they get played in August or September.

They might, but that would mess up 2 seasons. I think concluding this season in the autumn would be a terrible decision. 

Can't see closed doors being an option. There is bound to be teams that will struggle to put a side on the park over the next few weeks due to either isolating or illness. Also, if we have a full scale lock down like italy or france then how do you even get 42 squads around the country.