What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

18 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Of course Falkirk fans want the top two teams to be promoted. The reality is that 2nd spot is not an automatic promotion spot though. Finishing 4th earns you a 25% chance of promotion, exactly the same as finishing 4th.

If folk have problems with promoting the team currently in 1st because they haven't really earned the reward of promotion, why the hell would we reward teams currently in second who haven't even earned something that there's no reward for, other than a play-off spot?

Promoting the top two would remove the need to relegate anyone. I think it's even more harsher on hearts, partick, stranraer and brechin that they drop down a division compared to a team not being promoted.

11 minutes ago, champions said:

Promoting the top two would remove the need to relegate anyone. I think it's even more harsher on hearts, partick, stranraer and brechin that they drop down a division compared to a team not being promoted.

That could also be achieved with no promotion or relegation.

8 minutes ago, champions said:

Why stop at 2? The top 4 all have the chance of going up, so why not promote the top 4? Removes the need for relegating anyone.

8 minutes ago, champions said:

Add “this year” to that statement and then consider the results next season. That’s when you relegate three automatically and one into a playoff from the top three levels and relegate two automatically and one into a playoff in League Two. Add to that are Brora and Kelty still going to be as eager to have to spend in the 2020-2021 season after this hit, or would they be happier to wait another year, taking their chances? I guess there is the hope that multiple teams fail to clean up this mess, but what a shitty way to run a league.

I think we should be aiming to finish the season one way or another, but if the current table is made final I don't think we (Falkirk) can have any complaints about staying down. We should be winning the league comfortably with our budget. Arbroath were 12 points clear at the same stage last season.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Add “this year” to that statement and then consider the results next season. That’s when you relegate three automatically and one into a playoff from the top three levels and relegate two automatically and one into a playoff in League Two. Add to that are Brora and Kelty still going to be as eager to have to spend in the 2020-2021 season after this hit, or would they be happier to wait another year, taking their chances? I guess there is the hope that multiple teams fail to clean up this mess, but what a shitty way to run a league.

That's a 25% hit rate for the Premiership and 30% for the other divisions + the play off spot! That means, in the Championship for instance, there's a possibility of only the teams finishing fifth and sixth still being in the same division the following season. Not that there is inherently anything wrong with that, I suppose.

Billy Brown apparently on record saying that Scottish managers are against finishing the season as it currently stands which is fair enough there are a lot of teams still with too much to play for mainly promotion and relegation.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Exactly. This penalises Dundee and Ayr, who could easily catch Inverness, and Airdrie and Montrose in League One who both have a realistic shout of overtaking Falkirk and Raith Rovers. The only fair solution is to finish the season, no matter how long it takes. 

They don’t have a realistic chance of catching us. Shut up.

14 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Montrose are 6 points behind you and still have you to play at home. You can say it's unlikely Montrose will win the league, but they have every chance of catching you. All 3 of the teams behind Raith are in better form too.

19 minutes ago, Wardy said:

It's unlikely Montrose will overtake all three teams above them. It's entirely realistic that they could catch any one of them.

This virus is going to be around for over a year.

There is no realistic prospect of meaningful football before August 2021

By then some clubs could be gone so talk of promotion/relegation is meaningless.

Give it a year, see how many clubs are left and start new leagues from scratch. 

6 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

By then some clubs could be gone so talk of promotion/relegation is meaningless.

By then all clubs will be gone. The virus may or may not be here in 2021 but I'd guess we wont all be in total social lockdown for 17 months.

16 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

The virus could be around forever if we don't find a cure. Not a chance we're banning all events or social gatherings for a year. Once the "peak" is out the road we'll get on with things again.

3 minutes ago, michaeljohnstone said:

(I’m not laughing at Annan’s situation I’m laughing at the whole ordeal)

Aye, it's been a laugh a minute this stuff. Thousands dying, thousands more losing their livelihood, hilarious.

Aye, it's been a laugh a minute this stuff. Thousands dying, thousands more losing their livelihood, hilarious.

The whole Scottish Football ordeal I should’ve said.
However, I cannot see this set of 42 clubs being the 42 who will start next* season.
*whenever next season will be

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

The virus could be around forever if we don't find a cure. Not a chance we're banning all events or social gatherings for a year. Once the "peak" is out the road we'll get on with things again.

Without trying to sound like the calm within the storm theres a lot of ways we can look at this in the grand scheme of things human life is priority this is on a scale globally which no one could have planned for.   There are vaccines for it available the issue is they have only been tested on mice the next trials are due to take place on monkeys  then you have to trial it on humans expectation is about 7 months  dependant on funds being made available  by WHO or Govts. Your then at a stage where you need to roll out the vaccine on a global scale by that time some will have built an immune system to it and unfortunately some will be suffer the fatal aspects of it.

It's not going to be pleasant that's for sure and its going to change the way the world works  and economies function. Other than ride it out as normally as possible what else can we actually do about it.

1 hour ago, michaeljohnstone said:

The whole Scottish Football ordeal I should’ve said.
However, I cannot see this set of 42 clubs being the 42 who will start next* season.
*whenever next season will be

Agreed, Hearts will resign their membership in protest at being relegated.

3 hours ago, champions said:

You can't promote teams based on an unfinished season, if you don't relegate based on an unfinished season.