What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

11 hours ago, MrDust said:

Nah... Already stated I wouldn't want to win the league with 3/4 of it played.

As said, it shows what 3 seasons of league 1 can do to supporters.

How did you feel when Falkirk stayed up by default in 2002? 

29 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Are you really saying that nothing could have been put into the rules in the event of an incomplete season due to an unforeseen event?
Jeez, most work contracts or insurance policies have ‘act of god’ related statements.....

Common sense would have you believe that there would be such a clause.

The threat of war or something similar isn't too outlandish a scenario to warrant thinking about and planning for.

But then this is the SFA/SPFL so common sense doesn't necessarily apply.

44 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Relieved.

Different situation though as all games had been completed, and there was no impact to the clubs being promoted from the league below.

There is no solution that will please everyone. We don’t even know when football will resume so it’s difficult to know what options are actually realistic and available. Things like scrapping cups for a season or pushing season start dates back all sound fine but in reality they are not really workable when you take into account contracts, TV money, sponsorships etc.

If we were promoted it would be unfair and I would understand the anger from other teams (although delighted we were up) but League One is the only league where the title isn’t pretty much decided already and I think you have to do the same in every league you can’t chop and change your solution for each level. 

I genuinely don’t think it is any more unfair than voiding the leagues. We have played over 3 quarters of the season, if it was scrapped and a new season started from scratch would Falkirk likely f**k up their large budget advantage again? Would Hearts have such a disaster of a season to find themselves behind Hamilton and St Mirren and bottom of the table again next season? Would Partick Thistle be such a shambles and be trailing Alloa and Arbroath? The answer to all of these are very unlikely. But that has been the case for more than 3 quarters of this season. You can’t just scrap a season when it is so close to completion. The likes of Hamilton, Alloa, Arbroath deserve something to show for what they have managed this season. Can you imagine the financial impact on the likes of Dundee United having another season in the Championship despite having it almost won?

There is not a fair solution unless the league can be resumed in the next couple of weeks which seems impossible. Either way there will be meltdowns across the board. The main thing, from a football point of view, is that every team survives to play their next game whenever that is.

I'm my opinion you cannot award titles, promote or relegate teams if it is not within preexisting SPFL rules.

To change any SPFL rule retrospectively would just be wrong.

Hence, the only option, unfortunately for many clubs, is declaring this season void.

38 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

There is no solution that will please everyone. We don’t even know when football will resume so it’s difficult to know what options are actually realistic and available. Things like scrapping cups for a season or pushing season start dates back all sound fine but in reality they are not really workable when you take into account contracts, TV money, sponsorships etc.

If we were promoted it would be unfair and I would understand the anger from other teams (although delighted we were up) but League One is the only league where the title isn’t pretty much decided already and I think you have to do the same in every league you can’t chop and change your solution for each level. 

I genuinely don’t think it is any more unfair than voiding the leagues. We have played over 3 quarters of the season, if it was scrapped and a new season started from scratch would Falkirk likely f**k up their large budget advantage again? Would Hearts have such a disaster of a season to find themselves behind Hamilton and St Mirren and bottom of the table again next season? Would Partick Thistle be such a shambles and be trailing Alloa and Arbroath? The answer to all of these are very unlikely. But that has been the case for more than 3 quarters of this season. You can’t just scrap a season when it is so close to completion. The likes of Hamilton, Alloa, Arbroath deserve something to show for what they have managed this season. Can you imagine the financial impact on the likes of Dundee United having another season in the Championship despite having it almost won?

There is not a fair solution unless the league can be resumed in the next couple of weeks which seems impossible. Either way there will be meltdowns across the board. The main thing, from a football point of view, is that every team survives to play their next game whenever that is.

Is there any reason why the games cant be played behind closed doors other than the players dont want to play in an empty stadium?  

If you or I can go to restaurant, shopping centre, place of work, travel on public transport etc then why cant a group of guys play a game of football?

Obviously if there is a mass outbreak within a squad then the game could be postponed, similar to a request for postponement in the event of a stomach bug, but theres no real reason why the games cant go ahead which will at least bring the season to a natural conclusion.  

8 minutes ago, champions said:

Is there any reason why the games cant be played behind closed doors other than the players dont want to play in an empty stadium?  

If you or I can go to restaurant, shopping centre, place of work, travel on public transport etc then why cant a group of guys play a game of football?

Obviously if there is a mass outbreak within a squad then the game could be postponed, similar to a request for postponement in the event of a stomach bug, but theres no real reason why the games cant go ahead which will at least bring the season to a natural conclusion.  

I'm sure I read that smaller gatherings were more dangerous for spreading the virus. Given that players in England have already had it, and that changing rooms etc would be a haven for spreading germs, can't see closed door games being an option. 

I'm my opinion you cannot award titles, promote or relegate teams if it is not within preexisting SPFL rules.

Hence, the only option, unfortunately for many clubs, is declaring this season void.

Cant void the season as they wouldn't be fulfilling contractual obligations with sponsors and broadcasters never mind fans too. All due money back

I'm sure I read that smaller gatherings were more dangerous for spreading the virus. Given that players in England have already had it, and that changing rooms etc would be a haven for spreading germs, can't see closed door games being an option. 
You have to assume though that in terms of timescale and actually completing this season, playing behind closed doors will become a viable option again sooner than a full restart of normal football?

Might still be talking months not weeks but surely it's likely to be the case and would allow the season to reach its conclusion which (talking purely in football context) is the most important thing.

If we dont allow football to start until big crowds are ok again, it's going to f**k up player contracts, the transfer window etc etc as well as the actual competitions.

I appreciate the clubs have bigger worries, in some cases their mere existence but I think I would be happier to let them go on competing once safe behind closed doors than wait it out till such time as I and the other many thousands of Falkirk fans* can be there.

*Yeah that's right, I crowd wanked. What of it?

Restaurants and shops will be closed within a few weeks at most. In theory we could’ve tried to rush an end to the season behind closed doors, playing three or four times a week, but all it takes is one player at one club to develop the virus and fixtures end up uneven between different sides, entire squads are having to isolate and the government would put an end to it eventually anyway. Is it less ‘unfair’ to award a title now or after four more games played behind closed doors in quick succession, with clubs on different numbers of games and with varying levels of players missing?

Stopping was the only option. If we do award titles then it’s been a relatively clean ending, it was a ‘normal’ season until the point it stopped.

I still think it’s too early to be looking at decisions. If we can get back to finish the season at any stage this year, we should.

13 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:
41 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Cant void the season as they wouldn't be fulfilling contractual obligations with sponsors and broadcasters never mind fans too. All due money back

Any sponsor or broadcaster wanting their money back off the biggest crisis the world has faced since 1962 would be committing commercial suicide.

There has to be some thought put into this rationally. The season either continues at some point or it’s totally wrote off completely.

Bad enough for the likes of us (Falkirk) possibly missing out on a chance of promotion but it must be 10x worse being in a relegation place and being told sorry you aren’t getting a chance of getting yourself out of it. There’s already going to be huge financial setbacks from this period of no games without the added financial pressure of relegation too.

45 minutes ago, Paco said:

Restaurants and shops will be closed within a few weeks at most. In theory we could’ve tried to rush an end to the season behind closed doors, playing three or four times a week, but all it takes is one player at one club to develop the virus and fixtures end up uneven between different sides, entire squads are having to isolate and the government would put an end to it eventually anyway. Is it less ‘unfair’ to award a title now or after four more games played behind closed doors in quick succession, with clubs on different numbers of games and with varying levels of players missing?

Stopping was the only option. If we do award titles then it’s been a relatively clean ending, it was a ‘normal’ season until the point it stopped.

I still think it’s too early to be looking at decisions. If we can get back to finish the season at any stage this year, we should.

Do you reckon we'll be in total lockdown?

If they cant fulfil the games then it's either 'null and void' or promote two teams to each league and no relegation.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Dirty but swings and roundabouts with Airdrie buying Clydebank to piss on a fellow club gaining an advantage due to money.

I'm sure any sponsors and broadcasters would be understanding. They got their value when the matches were played. They still got their exposure, betting income and viewing figures etc. I don't see how awarding trophies and promotion on an incomplete season helps that situation.

As for season ticket holders wanting their money back, I'd be very surprised if that was any more than 5% of fans. All fans want their club to survive and thrive.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Did they not play about with the rules to suit the Rangers?

Voiding sponsorship etc after voiding the season seems absolutely mental. As already mentioned, all sponsors have essentially gotten all the value they would otherwise have gotten up to this point.

Assuming there's no practical way of getting the remaining games played before the start of next season then there really is no fair way to decide championships, promotions and relegations. Any solution that can be put forward will leave as many teams feeling, justifiably, aggrieved than it will leaving teams feeling they've been justifiably rewarded for their efforts up to this point.

It's not a coincidence at all that Raith Rovers fans are generally coming out in favour of having promotion based on current positions, Falkirk fans less so. You'll find the same with Partick/Alloa/QoS/Hearts/Hamilton/Dundee Utd/Celtic. People are generally arguing for the outcome that most benefits their club.

It seems like there are only three realistic options:

• Freeze the leagues and finish them when football returns with a contracted league in 2020/21 (with the caveat that clubs may have very different squads by that point).
  • Null the outcomes from this season and begin again next year.
  • Honour automatic promotion and relegation from current positions and ignore all play-offs.

It seems to me that options 1 is the best.

21 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Voiding sponsorship etc after voiding the season seems absolutely mental. As already mentioned, all sponsors have essentially gotten all the value they would otherwise have gotten up to this point.

Assuming there's no practical way of getting the remaining games played before the start of next season then there really is no fair way to decide championships, promotions and relegations. Any solution that can be put forward will leave as many teams feeling, justifiably, aggrieved than it will leaving teams feeling they've been justifiably rewarded for their efforts up to this point.

It's not a coincidence at all that Raith Rovers fans are generally coming out in favour of having promotion based on current positions, Falkirk fans less so. You'll find the same with Partick/Alloa/QoS/Hearts/Hamilton/Dundee Utd/Celtic. People are generally arguing for the outcome that most benefits their club.

• Freeze the leagues and finish them when football returns with a contracted league in 2020/21 (with the caveat that clubs may have very different squads by that point).
  • Honour automatic promotion and relegation from current positions and ignore all play-offs.

What about no relegation and promoting two teams from each league?

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

That's a huge caveat though, with option 1.  After several months of shutdown there is no telling what state teams may be in, and what their squads will look like going into that contracted league. For some sides, whatever challenge they had going in this league may not be sustainable with whatever squad they have going several months later. Option 1 for those sides may as well be option 2.

I doubt the SFA/SPFL would go with it, but a league restructuring, even for one season might be the best way of honouring the various promotion challenges while at the same time allowing for those in close relegation fights to not be chucked over a cliff when it was still in their own hands.

48 minutes ago, champions said:

What about no relegation and promoting two teams from each league?

Depends on what the Premier League think of 14 teams I suppose. I don't think it's inherently 'fairer' than 1 up / 1 down.