What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

10 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I think if you look at the Governments plans to delay the virus and that takes 10-14 weeks to peak, it suggests it’s double that to come back to where we are. That’s effectively September or October.
So, again, I cannot see how they can finish this season, and next season may also need to be shortened....

f**k me, you're a radgie b*****d.

18 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I think if you look at the Governments plans to delay the virus and that takes 10-14 weeks to peak, it suggests it’s double that to come back to where we are. That’s effectively September or October.
So, again, I cannot see how they can finish this season, and next season may also need to be shortened....

Why don’t we just finish this season next season. Start about October when it’s blown over a bit. That’s if all the clubs haven’t gone bust. Bucket rattlers everywhere.

There no precedent in football.

I can’t ever recollect a game that was abandoned being awarded to the team that was leading at the time.

The game was always rescheduled....

There actually is precedent in Chile

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/leeds-fans-hope-efl-coronavirus-17922719

The 2019 Campeonato Nacional, known as Campeonato AFP PlanVital 2019 for sponsorship reasons,[1] was the 89th season of top-flight football in Chile. The season started on 15 February 2019.[2] Universidad Católica were the defending champions, having won the previous tournament.

Due to the 2019 Chilean protests, the competition was suspended since mid-October with six matchdays still left. After a failed attempt to resume normal activity that saw only one match fully played,[3] on 29 November 2019, ANFP's Council of Presidents voted to conclude the season. Thus Universidad Católica, who were leading the competition at the time of the suspension, won their fourteenth title.[4][5] No teams were relegated to the Primera B this season.

2 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

To be honest winding up Falkirk Bairns aside I agree with Klopp on this one, who wins or loses the league is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Void the season, use current standings or finish it later are all small problems. This could drag on for months and how many clubs will be left by then? The players need paid and with no gate money at our level most clubs will be finished in months. Then there’s the summer when any player will be offloaded that’s out of contract to try and save the club. These lads aren’t millionaires some probably earn less than many of the fans and once they’re out of contract they’re unemployed as no club will sign them until this is over. It’s going to be a tough time for clubs, players and fans of every team.

And obviously Raith should get the title and promotion emoji13.png

What Klopp said: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/390397-jurgen-klopp-message-to-supporters

We will need to see how many clubs survive this outage before there's much point talking about promotion and relegation. Worst case is that you end up with a completely restructured league if clubs go to the wall.

8 hours ago, Enigma said:

Falkirk can’t feel too aggrieved about missing out on promotion if we do go up as championships. Maybe if they’d beaten us even once this season they’d have a claim but they couldn’t even manage that.

Know the feeling mate. Can we get promoted too?

A season is 36 (or 38) games. If the fixtures aren't completed, the season isn't completed.  The 2019/20 season should be abandoned and everybody starts again in the same positions at the start of next season. No champions, no relegation. Prize money should be distributed equally amongst all the clubs to ensure they survive until we can start playing football again. 

This really was an open goal for a manager. Klopp's tapped it in but only by saying what any half decent individual would. It was basically a perfect opportunity to look magnanimous. Klopp seems a decent guy in general so it's not that surprising. 

Oh and Neil Lennon has come over as a reptile. Which is again no surprise given his history. And Celtic's. 

10 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

A season is 36 (or 38) games. If the fixtures aren't completed, the season isn't completed.  The 2019/20 season should be abandoned and everybody starts again in the same positions at the start of next season. No champions, no relegation. Prize money should be distributed equally amongst all the clubs to ensure they survive until we can start playing football again. 

Said this on the Clyde thread but with only 8 games left surely the season gets completed whenever we're good to go again, even if means a delayed or shortened campaign next season. Play Saturday and midweek for the remaining league games and relegation/promotion play offs it could be wrapped up within 6 weeks. 

10 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

According to Wiki (I know), it was abandoned after 5 rounds of fixtures in 1939 and completed in 1946/47

No it wasn't. It was abandoned after 5 (First Division) fixtures and not competed for again until 1946/47.

12 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Why does it NEED to be completed?

Others have answered but since you asked me...

Because anything else would be unfair. If you void the season it penalises clubs like Dundee United, who are so far ahead that realistically they have no chance of being caught. (Celtic too but nobody cares about them.) If you declare current positions to be final then it's unfair on teams like Hearts, who could argue that they had every chance of overtaking the teams above them and to relegate them with games outstanding is out of the question.

Yes, in the wide picture there are more important things to worry about but this is essentially a football forum so that's the topic under discussion.

You would have thought there would be a rule for ‘what happens if the league season cannot be completed?’
Football blazer types fucking love rules. That Jim Farry was always quoting them. The SPFL have let themselves down here. They should have rules to cover Martian Invasion, Epidemics, World War 3, Zombie Apocalypse and the likes. I blame that Neil Doncaster. It’s probably his fault.
Hard for many folk to admit, but Ernie Walker and Jim Farry as administrators of our game were far better than the recent incumbents.

Farry in particular took a lot of unfair criticism I think. He genuinely seemed to care for all clubs.

Having thought about it overnight and discussed it with colleages, I think the only fair solution is what has been mooted by some others already;

Promote the top two from each division.

No relegation.

Backfill the space in league two with the HL and LL champions.

Season starts again in August as normal with the exception of the Premiership which now has two extra teams.

Take the premier split after two rounds of fixtures (26 games) and then play a further two rounds after the split (12 games).  Only problem being one team will have a free weekend each week as there are an odd number of teams in each half of the league.

Celtic won't be happy as they may not be crowned champions.  Hibs won't be happy as Hearts won't be relegated.

It should suit nearly everyone else- there are no cases where the 3rd/4th place teams are really close to the top two.  Yes in league one there is a chance of Airdie/East Fife/ Montrose coming second but chanes of them gaining promotion?  Slim.

Not ideal but probably the best all-round solution.