What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

Aye it’s an absolute bonkers opinion from the boy.

We are top when the league was stopped and top at any other point in the season when we’d all payed the same teams the same number of times.
If the powers that be do decide to award the league, how is it bonkers to suggest that it’s Raith who should be awarded it?

You think it should be awarded on who’s got the bigger goal difference or who is the bookies favourite?

Think that’s the definition of clutching at straws mate.

Feasible but non starter, SFPL or whatever they call themselves will go for a void season. Can’t change regulations with a quarter of a season to play, easy way out null and void. 

It’s not fair or ideal to call the season now but I’m not sure that voiding the season is any more fair.
Especially to Dundee United or Cove.

There’s precedent in sport to call a result if the competition is stopped after a certain percentage has been completed. For example in formula one if I think 70% of the laps have been completed and there is a red flag they will award full points.

It’s obviously a different scenario but we are dealing with a completely unprecedented situation.

Whatever is decided will be unfair in some way.
I don’t envy those trying to decide what to do.

It’s not fair or ideal to call the season now but I’m not sure that voiding the season is any more fair.
Especially to Dundee United or Cove.

There’s precedent in sport to call a result if the competition is stopped after a certain percentage has been completed. For example in formula one if I think 70% of the laps have been completed and there is a red flag they will award full points.

It’s obviously a different scenario but we are dealing with a completely unprecedented situation.

Whatever is decided will be unfair in some way.
I don’t envy those trying to decide what to do.

There no precedent in football.
I can’t ever recollect a game that was abandoned being awarded to the team that was leading at the time.
The game was always rescheduled....

35 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

We are top when the league was stopped and top at any other point in the season when we’d all payed the same teams the same number of times.
If the powers that be do decide to award the league, how is it bonkers to suggest that it’s Raith who should be awarded it?

You think it should be awarded on who’s got the bigger goal difference or who is the bookies favourite?

Think that’s the definition of clutching at straws mate.

Well no, it’s simply down to the fact that the season is unfinished...

It would be absolutely mental to suggest raith should be promoted when there’s still a quarter of the season to go and only 1 point in it.

It could be argued for teams like Dundee Utd and Cove who are significantly further ahead. Even still, until it’s mathematically confirmed - I don’t see how they can make that call.

Perhaps 3 years in this shithole has brought out this level of desperation from you.

Wonder how the the sport pages will continue. Surely they can’t talk about the old firm for weeks on end or can they. Will the sport journalist have to earn a living by reporting on more newsworthy events or will they be made redundant?

Tbf, they manage to do it every summer.

26 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I can’t ever recollect a game that was abandoned being awarded to the team that was leading at the time.

I guess the thing is the precedent doesn't scale up easily. A rescheduled game sees the two same squads having another go at a single game two weeks down the line under largely the same league context.

We are talking about starting again from day zero, with potentially different squads, budgets and managers while negating 8 months of work for nothing.

That's not to say that simply declaring winners from current standing is in any way fair (albeit I imagine the noise from Celtic Park to have their 9 in a row validated is pretty deafening)  but I dont think simply giving up on this season is particularly fair either.

I tend to think some version of promotion without relegation is the best bet, but f**k knows how to iron out the feelings of those who finish third and fourth, as well as fealing with enlarged league structures.

In the meantime, the central issue is keeping our clubs alive.

You’re right of course.
No precedent for any of this mess, which is what makes it so difficult.

I think we’re both of a similar mindset and agree that somehow finishing the season is the only fair solution.

But our different shades of blue-tinted specs make us differ on what’s the best course of action if that isn’t possible.

Well no, it’s simply down to the fact that the season is unfinished...
It would be absolutely mental to suggest raith should be promoted when there’s still a quarter of the season to go and only 1 point in it.
It could be argued for teams like Dundee Utd and Cove who are significantly further ahead. Even still, until it’s mathematically confirmed - I don’t see how they can make that call.
Perhaps 3 years in this shithole has brought out this level of desperation from you.

It is mental to suggest promotion based on 75% of a season.
But it’s even more mental to suggest pretending 75% of a season just didn’t happen.

It’s understandable you want to forget the first half of this season never happened but I’m afraid it did.

FFS.. No one is going to be promoted and no one is going to be relegated. The leagues will be deemed incomplete by “an act of god” or something sufficient to avoid legal challenge .. the only point in dispute is whether the league leaders are awarded the title or not. The only thing the SPFL will care about is how to manage the two arse cheeks. One wants 9 in a row .. the other doesn’t.

There is no fair solution, but I just can't see them awarding teams titles without a completed season, it would open up a world of issues. I think they'll have to find a way to complete the season or void it. With Falkirk still to play Raith at home they could rightly argue that had the Raith Falkirk fixtures been the other way round this season they may be top rather than Raith.

There are 8 fixtures left, which could be played in a month, particularly if it was around summer time. I'm sure they'll find a way to play them. That has it's own issues obviously both in terms of next season, and that the players playing may be new signings signed during the summer which I'm not sure about the fairness of.

The bigger issue is ensuring clubs make it to that point. Trying to look at it in a positive way, at least this happened towards the end of the season. If this had happened in August/September time and clubs had to pay players for a year without any games this would have wiped out clubs the Scottish lower leagues.

If a football game gets abandoned after the 75th minute mark then the score remains. Therefore with the football season being over 75% of the way through it then surely it would only be fair to call it(going by that logic anyway).

Right, if we are going to get petty, 75 mins is 83.33% complete.
28 games is only 77% complete so you did not meet the minimum threshold required.....
[emoji16]

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Ayr United v Airdrie when the bar got broken.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

End the season now.

Promote Clyde, Brechin City and Berwick Rangers

Relegate Patrick Thistle, Falkirk and Queens Park
[emoji848]You've missed out Cove, in the relegate side, for that ex Falkirk continuity.[emoji6]

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Ayr United v Airdrie when the bar got broken.

Wasn’t that about a pitch invasion / hooliganism? Surely that’s not an appropriate precedent in this case...

Edited by roman_bairn